Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

spores to agar
    #24509975 - 07/26/17 05:09 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Okay so the first time i did spores to agar the spore print i made was so dry that the spores had a very hard time sticking to my inoculation loop (also i got the one where you reuse the handle but the tips change out, and imho they fucking suck, way too flimsy). So with that being said is this how its supposed to be? what did i do wrong? i ended up basically picking up flakes with the hoop and dropping a whole flake in one spot, how do i streak it if theyre that dry??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: spores to agar [Re: johney89]
    #24509985 - 07/26/17 05:14 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

If they're that dry, once you put some on the plate you can use your loop to streak them across the plate.

Or you can just wait for the clump of spores to start germinating then start making transfers.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

OfflineHoob33
Three toed sloth head yo
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Rain forest
    #24509991 - 07/26/17 05:17 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

gett a drop of distilled water and you swirl it with the spores then you drag a little drop on agar .i been recently doing it with a sterile cotton swab ,rub the  swab on the print ,then drag it a little on the agar. no flame needed .

--------------------
when god hands you lemons you,FIND A NEW GOD! 

Edited by Hoob33 (07/26/17 05:18 PM)

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: spores to agar [Re: LotKid]
    #24509999 - 07/26/17 05:21 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I like to scrape some spores off of the print with a blade . Sort of like scraping paint ; you can be exact . Seems to me that they fall right off or you have to tap the blade against a hard surface to help them along, and sometimes I have to use my thumbnail or fingernail  to get the job done.

Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

#24510077 - 07/26/17 05:49 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LotKid said:
If they're that dry, once you put some on the plate you can use your loop to streak them across the plate.

Or you can just wait for the clump of spores to start germinating then start making transfers.

Yeah it was like a paint flake smaller than 1/4 of a dime and i dropped it straight on the plate i didnt think to try to chop it with my scapel lol.the loops i got are so flimsy trying to do ANYTHING with them is almost like using a wet noodle, i was so pissed. Will you guys link me to wone worth a shit please lol

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#24510112 - 07/26/17 06:01 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yes I have never but one time used a homemade loop to streak spores. Only if you are going to use agar. I find using a blade works just as well and even open air anymore is ok if you know what you are doing.
I do not even flame things anymore ; just use some gel alcohol and you are good to go. You still have to be careful and clean.

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: spores to agar [Re: kingkc]
    #24510168 - 07/26/17 06:21 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I understand a little better now.

Hoobs idea sounds alright, which would also help hydrate them. Also maybe try breaking up the print by flexing the foil a few times before opening it.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:

Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

#24510789 - 07/26/17 11:38 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

okay so i ordered a box of 100 of those steril swabs, gonna use those to do my spores to agar, found a video on it also lol xD.

i used my PE swabs on the 23rd to agar, 4 dishes, one has satalite colonys forming, but kinda far from the piece of swab. The others still no PE mycelium but no contams either. Ive also got some B+ and GT Spores started on my 2nd transfers now, looking pretty good. Just the condensation is bad on my lids so i cant get any good pics. I have some pasty plates ready to do my transfers to already. Big things, Alot of fun lol xD

OfflineHoob33
Three toed sloth head yo
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Rain forest
    #24510825 - 07/27/17 12:06 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

:fuckyeah:

--------------------
when god hands you lemons you,FIND A NEW GOD! 

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: spores to agar [Re: Hoob33]
    #24511921 - 07/27/17 02:18 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Setting a mug of hot water on top of a plate will clear up the condensation.

--------------------

OfflineBLINKfan420
Jedi
I'm a teapot

#24511993 - 07/27/17 02:50 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

johney89 said:
okay so i ordered a box of 100 of those steril swabs, gonna use those to do my spores to agar, found a video on it also lol xD.

I had the same problem and was impatient. So instead I used regular Q-tips and PC'ed them for an hour in a foil pocket in a jar.  No need to order swabs.

Just thought you might be interested. Saves time on shipping and I'm sure they're cheaper than pre-sterlized swabs.

BLiNK

--------------------

All my pictures are drawn from imagination.  I don't even know what a mushroom is.

Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

Re: spores to agar [Re: BLINKfan420]
    #24512319 - 07/27/17 05:27 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I have heard this mug trick.... but i tried it and left it on one for about 5 mins and nothing happened..... Maybe my mug wasnt hot enough? It sure would be nice to not have condensation on top, viewing them from the bottom just isnt as good lol. So you use a hot mug right after you pour them in the SAB or you wait till you wrap them then do it outside the SAB? I seen Bod doesnt wrap his until he inoculates, i would be too worried about contams =(. I did g2g with some spawn i wasnt sure of.... Half of the jars contaminated the other halfs mycelium looks a bit funny, not as white, kinda grayish with a hint of white, ill probably just trash it all and use these plates to continue my grows

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24512341 - 07/27/17 05:36 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Try boiling the water first. You can do this at any time to relieve condensation.

If you suspect a jar of spawn isn't up to snuff DO NOT use it for g2g. Which I'm sure you just learned.

--------------------

Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

#24512356 - 07/27/17 05:43 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah i definitly made a bad call and wasted alot of grains, My friends are kinda upset at me over it lol. oh well we live and learn. Im only about 3-4 months into this hobby so honestly i still barely have a grip on whats right and wrong, thankfully you guys are here. I need to swallow my pride more and just ask. I love this community soon i am going to donate

Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

#24512362 - 07/27/17 05:46 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Also while i have you here, I have about 5 jars of GT spawn.... It is fkin lovely white, but has alot of excess moisture in it at the bottom. When they were ready i didnt ever take them to bulk because they smell kinda sour, like as in the grains fermited some... Any suggestions on what i can do with those jars? You cant smell the normal mushroom smell on them because of the grains conditions, but they have no signs of contams at all. just some yellowish water in them which i believe people say are mushroom enzymes?

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24512376 - 07/27/17 05:54 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

johney89 said:
oh well we live and learn.

Yes we do. Every day.

Quote:

johney89 said:
Also while i have you here, I have about 5 jars of GT spawn.... It is fkin lovely white, but has alot of excess moisture in it at the bottom. When they were ready i didnt ever take them to bulk because they smell kinda sour, like as in the grains fermited some... Any suggestions on what i can do with those jars? You cant smell the normal mushroom smell on them because of the grains conditions, but they have no signs of contams at all. just some yellowish water in them which i believe people say are mushroom enzymes?

Pics would help a lot. But, from your description, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you probably have bacillus growing in your jars. AKA "wet spot". It's a bacterial infection. So they're no good. You can bury them outside somewhere and something might pop up.

Your grains may have been prepped too wet which can lead to bacillus. High temps during colonization can be a culprit too. What kind of grains are you using and how do you prep?

--------------------

Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

#24512395 - 07/27/17 06:01 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Rye grains and 24hour soak then boiled till plump, then PC for 90 minutes. The room they colonize in is rather high temperature 80ish and during the middle of the day probably a bit higher. I will relocate them/future jars, texas heat is hell sometimes. since there is any doubt in them im going to just trash them im not worried about burying them outside. I will be so happy when this summer bullshit is over.

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24512422 - 07/27/17 06:09 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

You don't need to boil them until plump. 10 mins is fine. Then you have to make sure you let them dry off properly. If you put them in the PC too wet you're gonna have problems. That combined with the room temp being in the 80's is just asking for bacillus. AKA "wet spot" and "sour rot". Do a search for those and I'll bet what you find looks familiar.

If you haven't watched this video yet, I recommend that you do.

--------------------

Offlinejohney89
Duck
 User Gallery

#24512484 - 07/27/17 06:32 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Would that explain why even when i dont have alot of busted grains my grains feel kinda startchy? Like they dont stick together but they definitly feel kinda slick like they have oil on them in a way of saying. It always takes about 20 minutes to get them plump if i should only be doing it for 10 maybe thats where i am fucking up......

Can you tell me what is better in your experience? Rye/Oats/WBS... the only one i know where to get at the moment is Rye.. I dont mind swapping it up if there is better qualitys.

My first grow was a MS syringe i inoculated 10 jars with. All of them smelled like mushrooms when i cracked the lids spawning to bulk. HOWEVER one did have a chunk that had some black in it that i spawned to bulk. right in the center of that jar. i didnt notice it until i had dumped it into the mono.... So that mono contaminated =( I tried to get out all of the bad, but it did no good. The 2nd tub however went great.... i just read up a bit on bacillus and it seems exactly like my problem. Lot see, i just said this on another post, youre awesome

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24512531 - 07/27/17 06:53 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Awe... shucks. I wouldn't go that far. Thanks for the compliment tho.
If you can't guess I've experienced bacillus before. Used to get it quite a bit when I first started. This was back when it was common practice to incubate your spawn at 86f... :facepalm:
Bring down your temps and dial in your grain prep and you'll see the difference.

I've only ever used Rye and WBS. Probably gonna try oats soon just to see how I like them. Right now I'm using WBS. Love it! I think that it's more forgiving than rye and it's cheaper. I use >THIS<. I get a 20lb bag for $6.44 at wally world.

Have you gotten into agar yet?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag