Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: Dr. Greenthumb]
    #2638862 - 05/04/04 11:13 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

OH NO! Tell me you didnt forget the tape!!! -Just kidding ya man,they will be fine. The foil should do a good enough job of keeping the water out of the jars. The object is to keep the water content just right and not let water in during sterilization. The foil also helps keep the top of the jars from getting covered with airborn contams when you take them out of the pc,which I would wait to do just before you innoculate them as long as it is the next day or so. If,by some off chance ,the substrate looks soggy inside the jars with brf mush in the bottom when you take em out just start over. Dont waste your spores on jars that are destined to fail.

MYKEY

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineDr. Greenthumb
HipHopHead 4Life

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2639073 - 05/05/04 12:01 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

:cool:

Thanks man.  And sorry for hijacking Phishgrrl's thread for a few. :blush:

OfflineGodfreyL
Stranger
Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: MoGuerilla]
    #24511560 - 07/27/17 01:27 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

my first post - guidance on posting etiquette is welcome.

I am puzzled by all the use of tin foil, or, in the case of jars with lids, the instructions to punch hole PRIOR to sterilization.

I do a lot of jams and other canning. Typically, one puts the lids on the jars and they they go into the pressure cooker.  The jar that comes out is then both sterile and sealed.  It can store for months/years.

My question, for mushroom substrate, is why not do the same? The jar lids can be punctured with a sterile nail just prior to inoculation, and its possible to make a stock of jars with substrate to have handy.  I have tried this a few times and it seems to work well.

Offlinejimmyjimjames
blocking the sun

Re: Question about sterilizing jars in 6 qt pressure cooker [Re: GodfreyL]
    #24511600 - 07/27/17 01:47 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

my first post - guidance on posting etiquette is welcome.

Look at the date of the thread, so you don't bump a 13 year old conversation.

Unless the outside of the lid and the air around the lid is sterile, puncturing the lid of a sterilized jar will be a contamination vector. There are reasons it work sometimes, but there are better practices.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies