Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Australia
Is just diammonium phosphate good enough to replace yeast nutrient in PDYA
    #24510647 - 07/27/17 12:11 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

the main active compound in the various nutrients yeast powder contains which is utilized by our mushroom mycelium in PDYA agar cultures, is diammonium phosphate (DAP).
There is other compounds too, miscelaneous vitamins and minerals like zinc.

Is it possible to substitute yeast powder (the nutrient enhanced kind we use), with just its equivalent DAP content? or will excluding those other compounds have a significant impact on the speed and strength of the culture?

And also, while im asking about PDYA, what would happen if you added DAP to MEA agar? would it have a substantial boost or does the malt address the nitrogen and phosphorus needs of the culture on its own?

I ask this because i have a 25kg drum of DAP and recently remembered that DAP is the main ingredient in yeast nutrient, and i hate filtering yeast thickened water to get nice clear agar plates when doing PDYA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineWiiiiilson
Katso Grower
Male User Gallery

Re: Is just diammonium phosphate good enough to replace yeast nutrient in PDYA [Re: DrMushroom]
    #24511193 - 07/27/17 09:21 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I didnt think most fungi could (agaricales) metabolise inorganic phosphates? MEA is pretty much a complete nutrient source, as far as I know and is probably a better option than adding DAP to PDY agar.
DAP is better for plants. I think adding a little malt extract to a potato dextrose solution would boost significantly boost the vitamin and mineral content. However, for agar, just potato dextrose alone should be enough.

If the purpose of the agar is to isolate away from bacteria and other fungi, I think a simple PDA is best - adding a nitrogen source to the mix is really going to give any bacteria a significant advantage.

--------------------
Long time lurker and learner!

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies