Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse?
    #2444994 - 03/17/04 09:10 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

:wtf:

US government faked Bush news reports

"TV news reports in America that showed President George Bush getting a standing ovation from potential voters have been exposed as fake, it has emerged.

The US government admitted it paid actors to pose as journalists in video news releases sent to TV stations intending to convey support for new laws about health benefits.

Investigators are examining the film segments, in which actors pretending to be journalists praise the benefits of the new law passed last year by President Bush, to see if they could be construed as propaganda.

Two of the films are signed off by "Karen Ryan", who was an actor hired to read a script prepared by the government, according to production company Home Front Communications.

Another video, intended for Hispanic viewers, shows a government official being interviewed in Spanish by a actor posing as a reporter with the name "Alberto Garcia".

One segment shows a pharmacist telling an elderly customer the new law "helps you better afford your medications".

"It sounds like a good idea," the customer says, to which the pharmacist replies, "A very good idea."

And in some scenes President Bush is shown receiving a standing ovation from a crowd cheering him as he signed the Medicare law, which is designed to help elderly people with prescriptions.

The government also prepared scripts to be used by news anchors. "In December, President Bush signed into law the first-ever prescription drug benefit for people with Medicare," the script reads.

"Since then, there have been a lot of questions about how the law will help older Americans and people with disabilities. Reporter Karen Ryan helps sort through the details." The "reporter" then explains the benefits of the new law..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: ]
    #2445051 - 03/17/04 09:20 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Sounds like the Office of Strategic Influence is alive and well despite having been officially "disbanded". What won't these guys do?

- EDIT: For those who don't know, the Office of Strategic Influence was first established by the Pentagon in 2002 to "influence the hearts and minds of the opposition" by feeding false news stories to foreign news reporters. They "closed" it a week after first announcing it because of the public outcry against such an agency.

- EDIT EDIT: I just found this telling  quote from Donald Rumsfeld: "And then there was the office of strategic influence. You may recall that. And "oh my goodness gracious isn't that terrible, Henny Penny the sky is going to fall." I went down that next day and said fine, if you want to savage this thing fine I'll give you the corpse. There's the name. You can have the name, but I'm gonna keep doing every single thing that needs to be done and I have." (bold mine)

:thumbdown:

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

Edited by SquattingMarmot (03/17/04 09:37 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2445154 - 03/17/04 09:36 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

great!

I love hearing about the new and creative ways
my government is spending my hard-earned
tax money.

cunts.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Anonymous

Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: afoaf]
    #2445199 - 03/17/04 09:43 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

tax money.

yep. seizing over half a trillion dollars from american citizens to pay for medicare is bad enough, but this just adds insult to injury.

:thumbdown:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2445492 - 03/17/04 10:41 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

afoaf writes;

tax money.

Hardly new. Here are some excerpts from the part of the article mushmaster left unquoted -- probably figuring people would actually read the entire article on their own --

"Video news releases" of this sort have been used in the US since the 1980s...

and

"The use of video news releases is a common, routine practice in government and the private sector," a health department spokesman told the New York Times.

and

VNRs are also used in Europe but a furore surrounding a Greenpeace video package about its campaign to prevent the dumping of Shell's Brent Spar oil platform sent to British broadcasters some years ago led to new rules clamping down on their use.

Greenpeace's sophisticated media offensive - including the provision of emotive film footage of its occupation of the platform - resulted in one-dimensional coverage by BBC and ITN, news chiefs admitted at the time.

One-dimensional coverage by the revered and impartial "Beeb"? Say it ain't so, Joe!

pinky

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2446739 - 03/18/04 10:36 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I was hoping someone had made a thread about this. I saw it being discussed on The Daily Show. I couldn't fucking believe it!

Let me get this straight PinkSharkMark......do you condone this???

This was a blatant attempt to pass a commercial for the medicare plan off as a real news story! Jesus Christ! How do these people still have credibility in your eyes? They're trying to trick people yet again.

The Daily Show created a new term for this......"infoganda".

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: Learyfan]
    #2446775 - 03/18/04 10:51 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Saw the segment, reminded me of infomericlals but much more convincing.
Daly Shows take was as always funny and correct.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2446788 - 03/18/04 10:55 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I think Pinky's point was that this is not news, that both sides have been doing it for 20+ years, and, most egregiously, that a fellow shroomer deliberately left out part of the article that didn't fit his agenda. Bad, bad Mushmaster.

If you haven't figured out yet that they all do this kind of stuff you shouldn't be allowed out alone. You also have a responsibility not to be a dupe.

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2446845 - 03/18/04 11:14 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

what in the hell!? i give up man, fuckin government and politics...

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: Locus]
    #2446884 - 03/18/04 11:28 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I hear you

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2447149 - 03/18/04 12:51 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Not that i'm saying it hasn't, but when has this ever been done before??

And why the hell is this acceptable just because it's been done before?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#2447378 - 03/18/04 01:48 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

I didn't say I condone it, I said in response to afoaf's comment about it being a new way to spend tax dollars that it wasn't new at all. And it isn't.

It's just that when a Libbie government (or organization) does it, it's okay, fine, nothing to worry about, business as usual, not worth writing a news story about it. But when a conservative government does it, it's an outrageous scandal.

pinky

--------------------

Edited by pinksharkmark (03/18/04 01:52 PM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: Phred]
    #2447523 - 03/18/04 02:21 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

When has a conservative or liberal group ever released a commercial disgused as news in order to trick people into thinking they were looking at an unbias report?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#2447724 - 03/18/04 03:17 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Apart from the nightly news on ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN et al? (just kidding -- or maybe not).

I don't know, Learyfan. I haven't had a television since 1987. But apparently, according to the same article that reports this latest VNR, it has been a commonplace thing since the Eighties in the US, and is not unknown even in Europe, or at least to the BBC.

Here's an idea -- read the article, then e-mail the Guardian and ask them to do a followup.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2448411 - 03/18/04 05:49 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

It's just that when a Libbie government (or organization) does it, it's okay, fine, nothing to worry about, business as usual, not worth writing a news story about it. But when a conservative government does it, it's an outrageous scandal.

prove it.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: Xochitl]
    #2449241 - 03/18/04 09:04 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Prove it? Okay.

This article complains about a VNR put out by a conservative government. This same article notes that VNRs have been used routinely in the US at least since the 1980s. That means that the Clinton government used them as well. I am unable to find (using Google and Yahoo and Lycos) an article from the Guardian complaining about the Clinton government's use of VNRs.

So, as I said, if a Libbie government does it, no biggie. If a conservative government does it, biggie.

pinky

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2449314 - 03/18/04 09:19 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

I'm curious if Clinton's video news releases
were made to look like legitimate news casts
filled with cheering extras.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#2449319 - 03/18/04 09:20 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Me too. Dig some up and let's check.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2450002 - 03/19/04 12:03 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

This article complains about a VNR put out by a conservative government. This same article notes that VNRs have been used routinely in the US at least since the 1980s. That means that the Clinton government used them as well. I am unable to find (using Google and Yahoo and Lycos) an article from the Guardian complaining about the Clinton government's use of VNRs.

That is not proof. That is your assumption that Clinton did use VNRs because the above article happened to use the word since.

When exactly did liberals remain silent in the face of these false news reports? And if Clinton did in fact issue VNRs, were they even broadcast on the same level as those of Bush? Were they just as dishonest?

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: FAKE news courtesy of the whitehouse? [Re: Xochitl]
    #2451104 - 03/19/04 09:07 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Dude, you want proof, get in touch with the Guardian reporter who wrote the article. As I said, I don't have a television, and haven't had one for 16 years.

The article says the use of VNRs has been routine in the US since the 1980s (and in Europe as well apparently), and quotes at least one government source who confirms this. Maybe the article is wrong about that. Maybe the entire article is wrong. I don't know -- I didn't research or write the article. I just find it interesting that you want to believe some of what the article reports, but not the rest.

All I can tell you is that I was unable to find any similar article from the Guardian condemning the use of VNRs by anyone else -- not even Michael Moore. Maybe you could?

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale