Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Injection Ports, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iquitos, Peru
Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek
    #24498602 - 07/21/17 02:08 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I know this information is somewhere but i could not find it with search, I am going to do quart rye spawn jars and will be making holes in the lids and silicone on a tyvek filter, My question is how big should the hole be for ideal levels if gas exchange without drying out the rye?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemushboyM
99.99% filtration
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: Lennybernadino]
    #24498607 - 07/21/17 02:09 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

i stab my jar lids with a screw driver. 1 hole. use a small square of tyvek to cover hole.
use micropore tape to cover the tyvek/hole. i dont think you use silicon on tyvek.

Edited by mushboy (07/21/17 02:17 PM)

OfflineMr.Mushie402
Magic Marauder
Male User Gallery

Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: mushboy]
    #24498620 - 07/21/17 02:15 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

1/4 inch. Are you using silicone for a ship? Otherwise what i do is use the lid and mark a circle on the tyvek. Cut out that circle on the outer edge of the mark you made. Set that circle on the lid and screw the ring on over it.

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: Mr.Mushie402]
    #24498779 - 07/21/17 03:42 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

No rings here. only standard jelly jar lids. I will inoc some with LI and some with millet filled pasty plates. So one standard fat nail hole, with tyvek held in place by micro-pore and that is sufficient GE, It certainly won't dry out the substrate/

OfflineMr.Mushie402
Magic Marauder
Male User Gallery

#24498967 - 07/21/17 05:04 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah just tape the tyvek on then. I just grab my 1/4 inch drill bit and pop it through. Never ever have i had a ge problem with this method. A large nail should be sufficient, i hear of people doing that all the time. I would opt for the screwdriver though if it was me. Leaves a bit larger hole than a nail.
Regardless, any of those methods will work. Good luck

Offlinespore-ty
Male

Loc: In the bush
Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: Mr.Mushie402]
    #24500083 - 07/22/17 02:39 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Ya dont be a dummy like me went and.bought 4 packs of plastic lids and had my seed pre prepped to just load so I hurry.and added holes with this fiskar tool cooked 32.jars waited to cool.then g2gd and now two weeks later.no growth im wondering whats going on then I realize the ge hole can barely fit a.pen tip in.it lol

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: spore-ty]
    #24500164 - 07/22/17 04:34 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

spore-ty said:
Ya dont be a dummy like me went and.bought 4 packs of plastic lids and had my seed pre prepped to just load so I hurry.and added holes with this fiskar tool cooked 32.jars waited to cool.then g2gd and now two weeks later.no growth im wondering whats going on then I realize the ge hole can barely fit a.pen tip in.it lol

Supposedly you can use a unmodified plastic lid for your grain jars.
I won't be trying that though.I'm getting contams around the edges of my no pour plates.

Its kinda common for the edges of dishes to contam that's one of the reasons you shouldn't let plates grow out to the edges but I'm only getting contams around the edges of my no pour plates that have unmodified lids.

With agar it doesn't matter much you just transfer away from the contams.
Its all visable.

With a grain jar its a whole different story contams coming through the edge of a lid will lead to a very unhappy mycologist.

The only reason I go into this rant tho is to say that a small hole for GE in your plastic lids is probably not what caused your jars not to grow or stall.

You should look into your inoculant or maybe your grain prep. Idk.

Even with lack of sufficient GE you should still get a good amount of growth before the jar stalls. Especially with g2g. There should still be air in the jar after all.

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Edited by gizmo1 (07/22/17 04:40 AM)

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24500213 - 07/22/17 05:59 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Lennybernadino said:
I know this information is somewhere but i could not find it with search, I am going to do quart rye spawn jars and will be making holes in the lids and silicone on a tyvek filter, My question is how big should the hole be for ideal levels if gas exchange without drying out the rye?

I use either ones 1/2 " hole for quart jars, or two 1/4" holes. It won't dry anything out.

If you mean silicone as an injection port, I'd skip it. If you're going to work with grains you're going to have to learn to open jars :lol:

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: mushpunx]
    #24500228 - 07/22/17 06:47 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Can I find a good article about opening jars somewhere in the advanced mycology forum , perhaps? For me the whole point of getting tyvek was to replace micro-pore, I feel micr-pore offers high airflow resistance/ not so great filtration ability, If I use both tyvek and micr-pore even less gas exchange, Oh well I guess it is enough. The reason I was going to use silicone is because I was not going to use mico-pore.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24500309 - 07/22/17 08:59 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Lennybernadino said:
Can I find a good article about opening jars somewhere in the advanced mycology forum , perhaps? For me the whole point of getting tyvek was to replace micro-pore, I feel micr-pore offers high airflow resistance/ not so great filtration ability, If I use both tyvek and micr-pore even less gas exchange, Oh well I guess it is enough. The reason I was going to use silicone is because I was not going to use mico-pore.

Yea tyvek makes a good lid, use two layers, and if you can get it, cut tyvek from then inexpensive painter's suits you can get at hardware stores instead of postal tyvek.
Cut a square bigger than the lid, place over the lid and put the band on. Cut the excess tyvek. It should be nice and snug, it'll hold the lid and band together .

Its not advanced mycology.
What you should be researching is how to properly build and utilize a Still Air Box (SAB). By keeping the air still and not moving any unsterilized objects or your hands over the top of open jars, you can open the lids without contamination settling in.

Its a skill you need to learn if you plan on working with grain.
Once you are familiar with how to use a SAB you can start culturing on agar.
If you inoculate your grains with a clean agar wedge you can be sure you will have clean spawn, which is KEY to bulk growing.

It sounds kinda daunting, but its really easy once you read up on it!

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

#24500398 - 07/22/17 10:40 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I have built a few SAB's in my time, I was merely looking for the ideal size of hole for tyvek because I never worked with tyvek before, I got some fancy tyvek from my round of shamelessly requesting free samples. When somebody mentioned the amazing concept of learning how to open a Jar That set my imagination on fire and was wondering where I could find info and this "opening a jar" tek that of course must be advanced mycology. (maybe joking)

I am just trying out some teks I never used before, blenderless LI, spawning with a plate of spores germinated on millet, tiger dropping, etc. Just to see how it works. I just like trying everything because I love to play with mycelium.

Edited by Lennybernadino (07/22/17 10:47 AM)

Offlineberserkbadger
Mr Myc Tyson

#24500507 - 07/22/17 11:49 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Tyvek filters let me down a few times. I've since switched to polyfill like Frank  used in his teks.

I drill a 6 to 8mm hole and stuff that as tight as I can and pull it through with pliers.

I even use them for my no pour plates and they Rock solid and reusable for many pressure cooker runs as there is no adhesive holding the filter on

Edited by berserkbadger (07/22/17 11:50 AM)

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: berserkbadger]
    #24500637 - 07/22/17 01:25 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Polyfill huh? It's simplicity to use and world wide distribution (cut open a pillow anywhere on the world) , and you are sayig it is a more reliable filter material than Tyvek?

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24500676 - 07/22/17 01:50 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quart jars with plastic lids/SFDs (2nd photo) gallon jars with plastic lids/SFDs, and a set of quart jars with metal lids/Tyvek filters

Quote:

Lennybernadino said:
Polyfill huh? It's simplicity to use and world wide distribution (cut open a pillow anywhere on the world) , and you are sayig it is a more reliable filter material than Tyvek?

I wouldn't say more reliable, 2 layers of tyvek from a painter's suit or wrist sleeves makes a solid filter.
But Polyfill is great too, I like to use it with plastic lids so they're one piece (with lid and band they won't stay together with polyfill, you have to be careful not to drop the lid).
They're both fine choices.

I use Syntheric Filter Discs for the most part, the proper size to be popped up underneath an autoclaveble plastic lid with 1/2 hole drilled.
I use these for my master jars, and I use polyfill or tyvek for my G2G recievers

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Edited by mushpunx (07/22/17 01:51 PM)

Offlineberserkbadger
Mr Myc Tyson

#24500748 - 07/22/17 02:37 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

It's whatever you prefer really. I think poly just ends up being a thicker filter which helps because it's more for potential mould spores to get through.

The pore size on other materials can change depending if it is stretched or not.

Sfds are the best they just cost too much where I'm from :frown:

Offlineediddy
Poppin tops!

Loc: Canada Flag
    #24502555 - 07/23/17 12:27 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

1/4" hole and a piece of tyvek works well for me. I can get a 1' wide x 8' long piece of the gem from a building supply store for about 2 bucks. Just ask for a piece cut off the roll

--------------------

Offlineediddy
Poppin tops!

Re: Size of hole for gas exchange with tyvek [Re: ediddy]
    #24502558 - 07/23/17 12:28 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

**tyvek not gem lol damn autocorrect

--------------------

Offlineediddy
Poppin tops!

#24502562 - 07/23/17 12:32 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

1/4" hole and a piece of tyvek works well for me. I can get a 1' wide x 8' long piece of the gem from a building supply store for about 2 bucks. Just ask for a piece cut off the roll

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Injection Ports, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation