Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQcGold
Stranger
Humidity control valve?
    #2449477 - 03/18/04 09:57 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Hello everyone,
Like you may have already noticed it's my first post here.
I've learned alot by reading here, and thank you all.
But their is something I need help sorting out.

I'm about to try to grow them for my first time (waiting for the spores syringe in the mail), got B+, Golden Teacher, Ecuador & PES amazonian. Don't know what strain I should use first though.

My question is about keeping the humidity in the fruiting chamber at about 82-92 %. I will be growing using the 50/50 + Casing tek tutorial, I think I can handle it even if it's my first try. I will also be using the pearlite humdification method. The only thing is, I read that you can get 95-100% humidity with pearlite. How could I keep it to the proper range without having to intervene too often?

Is their any valve with a sensor I could buy & fit on my fruiting chamber that would control humidity? Letting the humidify out when it's too high, since the range is pretty wide the pressision would not be much of an issue.

Also If I use a big rubermaid as the fruiting chamber what would be the best dishes to use for the casing/crumbled PF cakes mixture. One big or many small ones?

Hope my questions are not annoying any of you, because I truly searched before asking.

Thanks for the help
Peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Humidity control valve? [Re: QcGold]
    #2449581 - 03/18/04 10:27 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I am currently wondering the same thing, I am glad you asked this because i was going to pretty soon.

Quote:

Also If I use a big rubermaid as the fruiting chamber what would be the best dishes to use for the casing/crumbled PF cakes mixture. One big or many small ones?

I am using a similar method.  I am planning on using 4 tuperware containers aproximately 6"x6"x20", with 8-9 jars of substrate in each.  I have 36 jars total, plus 4 plastic jars that i plan to either contam or not do anything, but in the unlikely event that they will actually grow some mycelium, I plan to fruit them as standard pf cakes.

P.S. this is my first grow too.  good luck :smile:

Edited by FirstAvailable (03/18/04 10:32 PM)

Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
    #2449667 - 03/18/04 10:53 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I dont think you should worry about the humidity being too high cause its really no big deal. If you want to decrease it just put the perlite in a smaller pan or something to decrease the surface area.

I suggest you make the casings thin.
Since youre new to this it would be a good idea to poke drain holes in your casing containers so over watering isnt much of an issue.

Pie tins are great because theyre disposable, opaque and its easy to poke holes in them.

Good luck

OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Humidity control valve? [Re: mickywilliams2]
    #2451271 - 03/19/04 10:39 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

mickywilliams2 said:
Since youre new to this it would be a good idea to poke drain holes in your casing containers so over watering isnt much of an issue.

wont that allow light to get in from the bottom?

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Re: Humidity control valve? [Re: mickywilliams2]
    #2452406 - 03/19/04 05:36 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

mickywilliams2 said:
I dont think you should worry about the humidity being too high cause its really no big deal

Not so true... high humidity can introduce cobweb mold and other contams, especially when the chamber is not fanned often enough.

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2452427 - 03/19/04 05:42 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

If you find the humidity is too high, just leave the lid crooked. You'll have to experiment, but you'll eventually find the sweet spot. Get a good hair hygrometer. Cheap ones are crap. www.torka.com

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale