Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Contradiction in news articles
    #24491686 - 07/18/17 01:22 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Does this seem to you a deliberate effort to reduce the number of Caucasians or just the consequence of blindly promoting various ideals that are not well thought through?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Contradiction in news articles [Re: Rahz]
    #24491710 - 07/18/17 01:33 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

cute babies!

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Contradiction in news articles [Re: redgreenvines]
    #24491733 - 07/18/17 01:40 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cute babies!

That's how they convince us they're worth the trouble.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

OfflineDeesKnots
Aspiring Mycologist
Male

Loc: Vermont Flag
    #24492110 - 07/18/17 04:26 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Quote:

cute babies!

That's how they convince us they're worth the trouble.

:whathesaid:

--------------------
~Imagine the Big Bang was only a neuron firing in a brain that belonged to a fly~
"All mushrooms are edible, some only once"
"I'm inhibiting the inhibitors that inhibit me!" ~Andrew
:peace:&:heart:

InvisibleKurt
Thinker, blinker, writer, typer.

#24492708 - 07/18/17 08:26 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Consequence is a great philosophical word, for our day.

We do not think so much according to our "means and ends" on an individual scale as Aristotle put it (phronesis) but tend to think about the collective "utility" of our conceptions. That is; there seems to often be a leveling of all ethical and political thought to a question of how our shared liberal institutions work, and this leads us to lean and think more reductively in terms of the machinary of democratic principles, and statistical numbers, and what works the best for us this way, than in terms of individually embodied virtues like Aristotle initially suggested. 

In my opinion, a modern utilitarian ethic strongly informs the political left. As Jeremy Benthem defines it, what leads to the most happiness minus suffering for the most number of people is what is ethical or just. This does not explain any particular policy, but I think if you examine a lot of left of center ideals, you find this ideal generally informing many particular policies. Granted, leave it to anyone to consider in general if this idea of utility is so consistent and worthwhile to humanity, or occasionally misapplying or overapplying democratic principles, to issues that should have a more generally thoughtful basis, and not reductive social justice basis.

I would not say I am reactively against the progressive ideal of utilitarianism, but I notice that an appeal to our liberal institutions, is often a fundamental leveling of potentially more conservative and individualist/philosophical baseline's of ethics, to machines, collective structures and numbers of people. I think there is most clearly, a basic philosophical problem in this. For instance, when individual happiness is not necessarily principally achieved, or achieved at all by an equation of "pleasure minus suffering", for the individual, why do we assume this in order for us to make sense of things collectively, and with our neighbors? When we talk about groups of people we assume this baseline, because it is quantifiable, without any philosophical consideration. This is how modern progressive people collectively elect to have their values, and even individual values determined, by tally and numbers.

It is a real problem that people tend to level or reduce problems to this level of collective justification, and forget about the pursuit of happiness, and virtue of this, as both the greeks and the founding fathers put it. But at the same time as there is a genuiney conservative response, it is true that our shared liberal/democratic institutions and economical platforms are always seeming to need reform as well, so it is a double bind. We should have a balance on the left and right hand, and it seems like our present is looking for that.

In the end, using this philosophical language and appealing to philosophical conservativism does not offer solutions to these kinds of particular problems, but it might help us understand them, and teach us not to only look for reductively progressive ideals. We need to think in common sense, and individual terms, and balance this with the modern consciousness that we basically live in collective machinations.

TLDR; sometimes we tend to think of numbers of people and machines, rather than individual people.

Invisiblequinn
some kinda love
 User Gallery

#24494598 - 07/19/17 05:06 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

neither?..

noone would expect (nor want?) a publication to espouse a single perspective or ideology..?

as far as i am personally concerned i would rather see already existing people who need it fill population requirements than possible people :shrug2:

--------------------
dripping with fantasy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder