Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineArtisan farmer
Serial Hobbyist
 User Gallery
Raising rabbit kits
    #24493889 - 07/19/17 10:05 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I have 6 barrels of feed so I'm trading a few of them for some rabbit kits and using the remainder to feed them with. Rabbit is just an awesome meat and an easy to raise animal, great for homesteading.

We raised a bunch but have cut back since ramping up our mushroom grows.

Day old kits (possibly hours old can't remember, old pic)

2 weeks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: Raising rabbit kits [Re: Artisan farmer]
    #24496191 - 07/20/17 11:47 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

growing up we had rabbits, very nice meat. not sure i could kill them now, they are too sweet. plus i have two greyhounds and having rabbits(other then the jack ones) around is just asking for trouble ie hounds breaking into and eating my bunnies.

--------------------

OfflineArtisan farmer
Serial Hobbyist
 User Gallery
Re: Raising rabbit kits [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #24507469 - 07/25/17 03:18 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed. They are very sweet. I stopped raising them for a bit for several reasons but one of them being they were a tough kill, but we have a shitload of feed left over. I'm waiting on a gent to trade a couple barrels of feed for a half dozen kits.

Lol your greyhounds would have a field day! My lab mix would go apeshit for them when they got out. It was a race against him to try and catch it.

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
    #24564471 - 08/19/17 07:31 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Sweet? Haha. Rabbits seem to never get used to being touched by a human. every rabbit i've ever tried to pick up has scratched the hell out of me. In my opinion, they make terrible pets. I have 3 Californian Does, 2 of them i raised out of a litter and have a Gold tipped steel buck. Two of mine will allow me to pet them but i cant cuddle them what so ever. They are very cute when they are little fur balls.

When it's butchering time, I like to let them free in my backyard for a day or two and then I casually walk up behind them, aim precisely with my pumpmaster pellet rifle, and they are dead instantly. Its always a sad day, but once I get going it just seems like working.

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

OfflineArtisan farmer
Serial Hobbyist
 User Gallery
Re: Raising rabbit kits [Re: lillFish]
    #24641852 - 09/18/17 06:39 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Fair enough. They do tend to scratch quite a bit. everytime I'd have to move a female to a buck's cage, I'd get torn up something fierce. The kits that we would pasture did way better with us though. We encouraged our kids to play in the pen to get them accustomed to us.

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
    #24643100 - 09/19/17 06:09 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I have had 4 roaming in my backyard for the past month... they have had fun. The rest were butchered as fryers and the other two escaped a couple weeks back and have been living in the fence row for some time. The two left in my yard were bucks so they never had a chance to mate. The other two, I do not know their gender so for all I know they could be having some baby rabbits by now. Wished I could let them all roam the yard but then I wouldn't have a yard anymore, lol. holes everywhere.

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck