Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County
    #24487028 - 07/16/17 10:45 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County

The drug is far more dangerous than real cannabis.

By Dominique Mosbergen

Huff Post Linky

Over just three days in a single Pennsylvania county this month, more than a hundred people reportedly overdosed on a type of synthetic marijuana known as K2.

Between July 7 and July 10, 102 people in Lancaster County were treated for K2 overdoses, according to CNN. By July 14, an additional 56 people suffered similar afflications, bringing the total number of K2 overdose patients in the county to 158 in just one week.

C. Robert May, director of Lancaster Emergency Medical Services, said none of the overdoses were fatal but patients’ symptoms were sometimes serious.

“We’re seeing very sick patients, individuals who have very low blood pressure, are unconscious, and they’re getting admitted to intensive care,” May told CBS News. He added that the influx of overdose patients was “taxing” to local hospitals that are already “well above capacity.”

Asked to explain the troubling increase, May said a dip in the availability of heroin may have contributed to a spike in demand for the synthetic drug. Either that, he said, or “just some bad K2 has hit the street.”

Unlike real marijuana, which is an organic drug that has never been reported as the sole cause of a fatal overdose, synthetic marijuana can be very dangerous and even deadly.

Typically composed of shredded plant material sprayed with lab-made cannibinoids ― the same psychoactive compound found in organic weed — synthetic marijuana is “far more powerful” than the real McCoy, Barbra Roach, a Denver-based special agent at the Drug Enforcement Administration, said in an earlier HuffPost interview.

It’s often impossible, however, to tell just how strong a dose of synthetic marijuana will be.

“[Some] could be 1-to-800 times more powerful, some are 25 times more powerful, some are 5 times,” said Roach. “Because it’s lab-created, [the drug’s makers] are constantly trying to change the analogs in it and the compounds so it’s like an unknown and then it’s not technically illegal, at least under federal law.”

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the chemical composition can differ wildly between different batches of synthetic marijuana — which, other than the moniker K2, is also sold under brand names including Spice, Black Mamba, Kush and Kronic. As a result, “these products are likely to contain substances that cause dramatically different effects than the user might expect,” the institute said.

Doctors have repeatedly compared consuming the drug to “playing a game of Russian roulette.” Known side effects include seizures, hallucinations, convulsions and kidney damage, as well as extremely negative psychological effects, such as suicidal tendencies and erratic, violent behavior.

Misleadingly marketed as a “legal” or “safer” alternative to real cannabis, synthetic marijuana’s popularity has ballooned in recent years. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the drug has been particularly in-demand among teens and young adults “seeking an alternative to marijuana or a new experience with a hallucinogenic drug.”

Many of the overdose patients in Lancaster County this month have been adults in their 20s, said May. Some have been teenagers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: Adden]
    #24487039 - 07/16/17 10:52 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

The thought of this stuff makes me sick now. I'm pretty sure I had a seizure on the stuff before. I think they should start calling these drugs synthetic cannabinoids instead of synthetic marijuana because I don't think smoking any amount of weed is going to give people the same negative reactions most of these drugs can give people with even just a little bit too much of it.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: Eminence]
    #24487046 - 07/16/17 10:55 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Typically composed of shredded plant material sprayed with lab-made cannibinoids ― the same psychoactive compound found in organic weed

:youseethisshit:

Might have to message them about that line right there...

Thankfully I think most people are smart enough to know that is BS but I would hate to see stupid people use this as anti cannabis ammo.

Quote:

Eminence said:
The thought of this stuff makes me sick now. I'm pretty sure I had a seizure on the stuff before. I think they should start calling these drugs synthetic cannabinoids instead of synthetic marijuana because I don't think smoking any amount of weed is going to give people the same negative reactions most of these drugs can give people with even just a little bit too much of it.

They aren't even comparable IMO. It's like calling cocaine synthetic coffee...

While it is true they are still cannabinoids they have been altered so much many are completely distinct from cannabis.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisibleEminence
Male

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: musiclover420]
    #24487062 - 07/16/17 11:01 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I know, they have slight similarities in the high at first to me, but not further than just a threshold dose of the stuff and it just becomes some kind of eerie dissociative bastardized version of marijuana that just feels so wrong to me.

--------------------

OfflineHamHead
Hard Ass Motherfucker
Male

Loc: Galactic sector ZZ9 Plura...
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: musiclover420] * 4
    #24487080 - 07/16/17 11:08 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Just think, if there weren't so many employers drug testing, like US military, people wouldn't have to resort to synthetic substances.

It's scary to think about what people are taking to avoid a positive test result.

Talk about ruining people's lives. Just give them access to the real thing but teach.

--------------------
The Italian researchers’ findings, published by the INT’s scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing-idUSKBN27V0KF

This online first version has been peer-reviewed, accepted and edited,  but not formatted and finalized with corrections from authors and proofreaders

https://www.icandecide.org/

InvisibleEminence
Male

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: HamHead]
    #24487098 - 07/16/17 11:16 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Drug tests are what cause people to think about buying the garbage in the first place usually, and that really sucks..but ultimately they're still the ones responsible for fucking themselves up by smoking it even after hearing all these stories.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: HamHead]
    #24487103 - 07/16/17 11:17 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Eminence said:
I know, they have slight similarities in the high at first to me, but not further than just a threshold dose of the stuff and it just becomes some kind of eerie dissociative bastardized version of marijuana that just feels so wrong to me.

It really depends on the chems too. I have heard good things about the old JW8 synth noids or whatever they are called.

Supposedly those were just like a very potent heady stoney feeling. Now we have shit that will give you a seizure with crazy hallucinations from 1 big hit :eek:

All because they keep scheduling them too, leading to new even sketchier chems. It's such a sad cycle... We might actually have cool synth noids if they were legal. Like really unique ones to fill specific niches. Like short or long lasting chemicals, or more pleasantly trippy ones or anxiety relieving ones, etc.

Quote:

HamHead said:
Just think, if there weren't so many employers drug testing, like US military, people wouldn't have to resort to synthetic substances.

It's scary to think about what people are taking to avoid a positive test result.

Talk about ruining people's lives. Just give them access to the real thing but teach.

Price too is a big factor in many places especially where cannabis is still illegal or only has been legal a short while and still costs a ton.

People can buy super pure potent chems online much much cheaper, and if they won't get tested for them it's a huge bonus for many.

My ex GF smoked random spice onetime and it apparently ruined cannabis for her. Ever since she would get near panic attack level anxiety from even smoking a little....

She was also a bit crazy though so there were probably other factors but still :sad:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24487111 - 07/16/17 11:19 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Spice K2 and other bath salts chemicals are not related to cannabis any more then opioids are.

Bath salts are new research chemicals that have a buzz but are not yet banned. The makers of Spice K2 and others are always having to change the active chemicals in it every time the old chemical gets banned. Hence why you get "bad batches" new chemicals that no one knows the immediate or long term effects of. So once again prohibition and the war on drugs is the real cause of suffering among drug users. All due to religious puritan ideology making laws that can never work in reality.

So smoke real cannabis and enjoy life, and don't do new research chemicals regardless if its from your dealer or doctor! Ya OxyContin is the real gate way drug to heroin.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: rider420]
    #24487119 - 07/16/17 11:23 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

rider420 said:
Spice K2 and other bath salts chemicals are not related to cannabis any more then opioids are.

Bath salts are new research chemicals that have a buzz but are not yet banned. The makers of Spice K2 and others are always having to change the active chemicals in it every time the old chemical gets banned. Hence why you get "bad batches" new chemicals that no one knows the immediate or long term effects of. So once again prohibition and the war on drugs is the real cause of suffering among drug users. All due to religious puritan ideology making laws that can never work in reality.

So smoke real cannabis and enjoy life, and don't do new research chemicals regardless if its from your dealer or doctor! Ya OxyContin is the real gate way drug to heroin.

Someone tried telling me cannabis was a gateway to heroin on Reddit yesterday, while alcohol kept people content :lol: I told him I have had the opposite experience but we both could agree pills are the real issue and are the gateway drug for probably 90%+ of addicts. Sadly most start off prescribed too which is the worst part.

--------------------

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: musiclover420]
    #24487417 - 07/16/17 01:12 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

"Asked to explain the troubling increase, May said a dip in the availability of heroin may have contributed to a spike in demand for the synthetic drug. Either that, he said, or “just some bad K2 has hit the street.”

This says it all.... Plus they would say what the brand of blend rather than just calling it k2 or spice so people know what to avoid to reduce overdose. They are just creating more media confusing and scare tactic fear.

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: tacodude]
    #24488427 - 07/16/17 09:34 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I,v e taken big hits of red develish and passed out and thought ppl were after me,I guess if u burn a piece the size of a grain of rice your fine

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: 5150]
    #24490940 - 07/18/17 04:37 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Stop calling it K2, since its one of a billion different cannabinoids. Do they think people are that dumb that they can only remember a slang term? I guess they stopped calling it spice at least. (Dmt?)

And get ready for a WHOLE LOT of synthetic cannabinoids if someone doesnt reign in jeff sessions and his vows for increased sentences for weed, and asset forfeiture "especially for drug dealers"

You remember 2011, right? JWH-018 through JWH-200, HU-xx, oh man they are endless. And dangerous. Way stronger than dabbing, but with the feel of a runaway freight train (well the only one i tried pure crystal was JWH-073 and thats how id describe it, only had one hit of like 30mg sprinkled on a bowl and passed around).

We all know, you try and make something like cannabis hard to get, this happens. You make mdma hard to get, methylone and 6apb comes around, etc etc. ketamine? Methoxetamine.

So, Jeff Sessions hate for weed will bring this shit back around? And notice, no mention of fentanyl or analogs. Serious problems. For sessions weed is a personal thing. So he threatens to ban cali and colorado weed, but then how will he deal with the consequences? How will we? Will we still not try to take him down collectively (if the need truly does arise, if its not just tough talk)? I think its agreed that sessions is the biggest open/active federal threat to MJ and MMJ, and i dont know a single person who likes anything about him.

I think someone stuck a burning joint in his crotch at some point (weekend at jeffy's) and the trauma just wont pass.

AND PS: Opioids? The fuck? If anything there prolly isnt much weed in lancaster? Who the hell is gonna be like: "shit, out of dope, starting to feel shitty, OH! Some synthetic cannabinoids! That'll chill me out and stop this horrible diahrrea, thank the lord!"

"BAD K2": i dont think they make K2 brand anymore. But theyre gonna call it that for another 10 yrs

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (07/18/17 04:49 AM)

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: Fractal420]
    #24491388 - 07/18/17 10:34 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Can we just impeach sessions and trump already?

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24491528 - 07/18/17 11:43 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

As Oregon and NV show, if wanna make $100m over night, legalize weed for a day, and every day after that keep counting profits and fix your schools and roads and homelessness.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: Adden]
    #24491563 - 07/18/17 12:06 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

To bad people like Sessions don't want everyone profiting. They want to profit off everyone.

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: musiclover420] * 2
    #24491660 - 07/18/17 01:06 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

But big business pays big taxes I don't get it what the fuck will please these clowns? It's the same old shit rehashed over and over. I'm gonna write to this reporter on the misconceptions and broad generalizations in his journalism. Who knows, maybe if he has balls he will listen. Make him a better reporter anyway.. this piece is terribly written.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #24491663 - 07/18/17 01:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

And still no overdoses and comas and deaths and shit like this from cannabis. It's no different than people drinking shine and going blind. Just a lot more tragic.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#24491703 - 07/18/17 01:29 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

It's crazy what passes as journalism these days... Makes me think I could do a much better job then many :tongue2:

These clowns want their cake and want to eat it too....

Here is a great quote from Lupin The Third:

Military general: "watch it buddy, this is America you're dealing with"

Jigen: "Oh yeah, and which America would that be? The shining bastion of freedom and democracy, or the land of blind arrogance?"

--------------------

Edited by musiclover420 (07/18/17 02:54 PM)

OfflineConnoisseur

#24495005 - 07/19/17 08:22 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

:huxleyfacepalm:

OfflineDAVID_ALLAN_CEO
Resident Gambler

Loc: Grand Casino Tunica
Re: More Than 100 People Overdosed On Synthetic Marijuana In One Pennsylvania County [Re: Connoisseur]
    #24499863 - 07/21/17 10:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

not that it indicates anything, but isn't this county, Lancaster, like one of the heavily Amish communities in PA?.. I mean, I'm just arm-chair postulating, is it possible these folks were doing this "synthetic" marijuana because it was easier to hide or sneak-in the community than strong-smelling marijuana--or because it's easier to conceal from others because of it's lack of a stench?  A community that might have tighter controls on drug activity and with tight-knit communities like an Amish community, when 1 person's caught a lot of people are caught.. again, my postulation.  But that would mean that it could have gotten into so many hands because young users could lie about what it was and just say it's some strong tobacco to ignorant, technology shunning parents?  Which again I know is kinda a stretch, I'm just talking it out.. so, the conclusion I draw, if these other things are right, is that these over-doses were literally due to backwards thinking adults who demonized weed so intensely that their curious kids thought themselves very naively sneaky and devious by smoking synthetic weed right under their folks noses... and the practice was so in-grained in youth culture in the area that over 100 people went up on the "digi" weed cuz "real" drugs are so shunned... article says something about the kids really wanting a marijuana or a hallucinogen experience-- man, would that have been so bad as this?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale