Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Some doubts, advice appreciated :)
    #2448982 - 03/18/04 08:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

So i've been playing guitar since like 8th-9th grade in high school, im now a junior in college.

Ive just started taking formal lessons this past year.

Honestly i wonder sometimes if im wasting my time.  Alot of my friends will say that i am good when it comes to improvising on top of some music, but i just think its dumb luck, or because they dont know enough bout the music to judge properly, or that they are just being nice.  Im paranoid, if you havent realized already.

But yeah, sometimes i wonder if maybe im just not made for this music thing.  I can never really come up with anything original if i sit down, i feel that my best is when i improvise and not try to structure anything....but there is so much structure that im learning.

Like im in the process of memorizing arpeggios right now, Cmaj & Gmaj are what im working on (G being the new addition to the pot).

Then i listen to Satriani, Petrucci, or Garcia play, i'll figure out some of their stuff, and i'll be blown away by the creativity in the patterns of the music and their hand movements.  How did they know to move there?  Do they really have everything memorized....will i ever be able to reach a point in my music that i can confidently navigate the fretboard?

I honestly feel most of the time that i'll never get there and that i shouldnt waste my time.  Sometimes i hate being me :P

So yeah, thats my bullshit for the night.  Just had to vent some fears of mine i guess..and since its music related i chose MA&L :smile:

Have a good night

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: Some doubts, advice appreciated :) [Re: Kremlin]
    #2449064 - 03/18/04 08:23 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I haven't been playing as long as you but I totally feel what you're saying. Honestly, you just need to push yourself. I know I could be 100 times better if I practiced daily, on a real structured schedule. You'll never be able to play great improvisation until you really know what you're playing. So focus on the basics, the chords, how to transpose keys up the neck and whatnot and you'll be surprised how easy it can be. Let's just say it's 1000 times easier to grow mushrooms than to play guitar fluently. And find some friends who can play some chords on different instuments---you might be better than you think...

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

#2449109 - 03/18/04 08:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm the same way, really. I have been playing since my 9th grade year and I've been in college 2 years now. Not gonna say I'm a sophmore, though.. heh..

anyway.. i've never taken a lesson, but I have the mechanics of how to play down pretty well.. even friends of mine that have music theory degrees and specialize in guitar tell me so. maybe they're just being "friendly" by saying it.. and I honestly have my doubts in my own ability, but people tell me that I could rip the shit up if I knew theory.

i think theory is only helpful, and never detrimental. luckily for me i have an ear for shit like tone, pitch, etc.. so I can occasionally bullshit an improvisation over something by just using my ear..

I think you should definitely keep it up!

InvisibleMazzyStar
C4LC

#2449374 - 03/18/04 09:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You are never wasting your time if you enjoy playing. I have been playing since i was about 12 and I have never once thought I was wasting my time, just because it's a creative output, I mean even if you are playing someone else's music. it's something constructive and fun to do. Even if you totally suck, like me, I still would not consider you to be "wasting time."

--------------------

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#2449395 - 03/18/04 09:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You know, I've read studies that say that people who play a musical instrument actually live longer....so play the shit out of that thing!

--------------------

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Some doubts, advice appreciated :) [Re: idiotek]
    #2449497 - 03/18/04 10:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hehe thanks for the support everyone

yeah, i play by ear as well, idiotek, and ive had the same things told to me...but i still just wonder :P

Thanks again all

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
    #2449637 - 03/18/04 10:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

err no advice but I would love to Jam with ya

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale