Home | Community | Message Board

Mycotrop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Microscope, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline50mmprime
Stranger

My first grow * 1
    #24486524 - 07/16/17 04:27 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone - this is my first time posting on here, first time posting on any forum actually believe it or not and i'm almost 30. fuck.  Just took some pics of the beginning stages of my first ever grow. I did two monotubs from a multispore of GT. Used the willymyco tek off youtube. I watch his videos at 1.5 speed. He seems to know his shit but damn he can't get to the point. Hpoo/verm/gypsum. Only difference is I don't have a pressure cooker so I bought sterilized rye bags off ebay.

The bags looked good. No contams or anything, but it took like a month for them to colonize fully. Patience is tough.

But holy shit the monotubs colonized in 5 days. My room is at 72-74 and the tub internal temp was 77 after the first day. And the myc are super stringy looking. Rhizomorphic I guess? I hear that's a good thing, but I'm guessing I got lucky and made good conditions for these little bastards, because its a multispore so it can't be just genetics.

Just laid down some wax paper and started them on a 12/12 light with a 6500k cfl. Will update when/if I get some pins and fruits! really hoping because I have a lot of microscopy/educational purposes only I need to do...

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: My first grow [Re: 50mmprime]
    #24486533 - 07/16/17 04:36 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

really hoping because I have a lot of microscopy/educational purposes only I need to do...

:ohyeahdefinitely:

Good luck man, i hope your fruits are big enough and plentyful enough for *proper* microscopic research :wink:

--------------------
"Conscious contains the ideas, the thoughts, the building blocks behind every reality. Sentience, on the other hand, is the creative force that animates reality and experiences all possible emotions and sensations within them. Consciousness creates reality, sentience experiences reality. Together, consciousness and sentience create the totality of Creation." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms | Trippy Gematrix | Dj Teknological at BandLab.com | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || Remember George Floyd (END THE POLICE STATE!) ||                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017:: Aug 19th to 21st :: Pure Paradise. :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:  :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | Water-Bath Cacti Tea:bongload::cacti: 

OfflineNextStopWilloughby
Conductor

Re: My first grow [Re: 50mmprime]
    #24486540 - 07/16/17 04:49 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Wow! That sub looks great! Especially for your first grow!

I will say though your monotub is not made to spec. The holes on the long sides should each be about a quarter of the way in and be just above the substrate's surface. This is so you get better fresh air circulated over the substrate. Evaporation is a pinning trigger so bringing fresh air down in from the top and forcing it down across the surface before it can exit not only provides the oxygen they breathe but also helps moisture evaporate off the surface causing pinning. Check out the link in my sig on how to dial in your monotub, loose polyfil at the top, tighter at the bottom.

I don't see any signs of contam which on horse manure is common due to improper pasteurization - so good job getting that right! Just as an FYI, coir is just as effective, no need to pasteurize, holds more moisture, and can be used as a better casing than wax paper. Though I do like using a majority coir and adding a couple quarts of pasteurized horse manure. I find the manure easier topasteurize when just using it as an additive. Plus mycelium likes changes in substrate to digest and manure has more nutrients while coir has more moisture. I really only use manure though when I can locally source it for free, otherwise I just go coir. If you can find it for free, make sure it's not fresh nor super old, it needs to be leeched in the sun for a couple days for harmful-to-fungi chemicals to be removed.

Great start anyways! I don't know the youtuber you cited but you seem to have done a fair amount of research- but there is so much more to do! Use the "search posts" option and look for recent threads to expand your knowledge base!

OfflineExplicitdetail
Rickshaw Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: North of the Equator
Re: My first grow [Re: NextStopWilloughby]
    #24486747 - 07/16/17 09:36 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Looks good OP, however your hole placement is a little off. The 4 holes on the long sides of the tub should be right at the substrate level, yours seem a little high.

--------------------
"Problems that remain persistently insoluble should always be suspected as questions asked in the wrong way."

OfflineCapnZ
Dimensional explorer
Male

Loc: In the Mystic
Re: My first grow [Re: Explicitdetail]
    #24486754 - 07/16/17 09:42 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Explicitdetail said:
Looks good OP, however your hole placement is a little off. The 4 holes on the long sides of the tub should be right at the substrate level, yours seem a little high.

:whathesaid:
BUT  looking really good so far!
:hereyougo:

--------------------
Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before...

Offline50mmprime
Stranger

Re: My first grow [Re: CapnZ]
    #24487515 - 07/16/17 04:05 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it.

So here's my understanding so far - the casing, be it coir or wax paper or whatever, is meant to create a microclimate in which the mycelium sense moisture/ RH/ nutrient gradient. Essentially the rhizomorphic myc are signaling back to the mycelial mass  - hey! looks like we might be running out of what we need to keep growing, so let's divert the energy we do have into creating fruiting bodies and spores.

The FAE at just above the substrate level clears the humidity from that microclimate so that more moisture can evaporate off the surface, further signaling the myc to form primordia (as well as providing necessary gasses, but this I don't understand this as much).

What I don't get is how monoclonal/multispores play into this. If I were to do my jars from a monoclonal agar instead of a multispore syringe, would the whole tub technically be one organism? I could see why if you have only one organism (or fewer, at least) you would get more even and consistent chemical signaling to fruit.

But it also could just be simply because the exact same genetics will do the exact same thing if the conditions are the same across the whole tub.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Microscope, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation