Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAdolin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Toast Snuff Recipe ( Tobacco Nasal Snuff ) w/ Pics! * 3
    #24472679 - 07/10/17 01:43 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Ingredients
  • 1.76 Oz(50g) Dunhill Royal Yacht pipe-tobacco
  • 1/8 teaspoon Sodium Carbonate (washing soda)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground Kosher Salt
  • 2 Teaspoons distilled/bottled water
  • boveda pack or salt slurry for final humidification
  • (Optional) scent/flavoring

Supplies
  • Mortar and pestle(Fine snuff) OR Coffee Grinder(coarse snuff)
  • At least 1 mason jar (preferably a small wide-mouth one)
  • loose-leaf Tea strainer OR Pantyhose + widemouth jar
  • measuring cups - 1/4 cup - 1/8 teaspoon - 1 teaspoon
  • Shot Glass or small bowl
  • Some plastic tubs
  • .1g resolution scale

Yield

1/4 cup strong snuff + 1/4 cup mild snuff OR 1/2 cup medium-strength snuff

Notes before starting
  • You don't necessarily need to do anything except grind and sieve the snuff. However, without the sauce, it will taste fairly bland and not be very strong.
  • You don't need to use the royal yacht tobacco, however i prefer it because it already has a mild scent, it is strong, and does not contain propylene glycol
  • If you have pets or children - do this outside when there is no wind I garuntee you will make a (potentially dangerous) mess.

Step 1: Turning tobacco ribbons into flour

Drying

The tobacco needs to be dried - this can be done many different ways, including: microwaving for short periods of time (5 seconds), letting it sit in a low-humidity environment, Letiing it sit in the sun, or enclosing it with a lot of silica gel.

I used a combination of microwaving to remove the bulk of the moisture, and then put it in a tub with 100g of fresh silica gel beads to suck out the last bit of moisture.

The tobacco should easily crumble to bits and dust between your fingers. If you have any doubt that its not dry enough, it probably isnt

Its also a good idea to feel around in the tobacco and take out any large twiggy bits.

Grinding

I used a mortar and pestle because i prefer a finer snuff. This method takes much more time and patience. I spent 1.5 hours grinding out 1/4 cup of tobacco flour. NOTE: Because of the time you spend grinding with mortar and pestle, some of the dust will end up in your nose. I was buzzing the whole time and I blew my nose afterwards and there was quite a bit of tobacco in my snot(and i had not snuffed all day proir). So if you are a lightweight, wear a mask or you may become nauseus.

A Coffee grinder can be used and will save a lot of time, however the snuff will be more coarse. Some prefer coarse snuff, i do not. Its up to you to decide which way you go about this

Sieving

After the snuff is ground up, use a loose-leaf tea strainer to sieve out the finest particles into a tub. Pantyhose stretched over a wide mouthed jar or cup would also work. If you want to get fancy, you can use a 100-200 micron mesh

You will be left with some larger bits that did not make it through the sieve. You can save this to re-grind and make a mild snuff, or add it to your stronger snuff to weaken it a bit. I'm only interested in the strong snuff so i just throw these bits away

After the whole 50 gram tin of tobacco is ground and sieved, you should have 1/4 cup of fine tobacco flour and 1/4 cup of larger tobacco bits to either re-use or throw away

*note - I actually have slightly over 1/4 cup here, i had to compact it down.

Step 2: Making the sauce

The Sodium Carbonate

Sodium Carb can be obtained by heating Sodium Bicarbonate to 200-250F for an hour or so. If you start with 10 grams of Sodium Bicarbonate, you will end up with 7 grams of Sodium Carbonate if done correctly. If you have 8 or 9 grams still, just put it back under the heat for another hour till you have 7 grams

Alternatively, you could buy it from a Pool Store or the laundry dept of your grocery store as "washing soda"

The Kosher Salt

Kosher salt can be had at any grocery store. Mortons and Diamond Crystal are both good brands. Don't use sea salt. its not the same thing.

Grind up your kosher salt so you will get a more even measurement

The Water

Use distilled or bottled water. Both can be had at any grocery store

Mix em up

Put 2 teaspoons (10Ml) of water in a shot glass or some other small cup. Put in your 1/8th teaspoon of Sodium Carbonate and 1/4 teaspoon of ground kosher salt. Mix em up with something that fits in the glass. If your water is cold, let it come to room temperature

At first, you might think theres not enough water to dissolve all this. Don't worry, there is. just keep stirring. It took me about 5 minutes.

The result should be a slightly cloudy water with no sediment

Step 3: Mixing the flour and sauce

Add the sauce to your flour a little bit at a time  - I mixed in 2.5 ml - mixed for a few secs - added more - mixed some more- etc. Till all of the sauce is in with the flour. The flour will start to darken

Now , keep mixing. Mix that fucker good, untill it stops being so clumpy and is a uniform dark brown color. I mixed for about 15 minutes.

When your done, compact it a little bit (or don't, doesnt really matter) Wipe the tobacco off of the rim, so that the jar seals well, and put on the lids.

Step 4: wait

And wait. And wait. Wait for a week. Don't open the jar back up. If you're more patient than me, you could wait longer and get a better result(more flavor), up to a couple months. Whats happening here is fermentation that was triggered by the Sodium Carbonate. You could also apply some heat which would speed up fermentation and give you a better result faster, So if you live in the south, throw your jar into a hot car for a week or so. Ideally fermenting temperatures are 120-130

Step 5: Toasting

Open up your jar, and replace the "sealing lid" with a piece of tinfoil. Then put the jar in an oven at 200F for about 2 hours. Could go more or less here and expariment with different batches. Up to you.

After 2 hours, take the jar out and remove the lid and foil. Throw it back in for another 30 mins or so to dry out

What you have left should be dry, hard, and clumpy with a sandy texture and dark color

Step 6 Re-griding and re-sieving

Because what you now have is clumpy and sandy, you need to do some more grinding and sieving!(yay...) It should go much faster this time though.

The clumpy parts of the tobacco will probably be a lighter color than the powder after its ground, this is normal. Just shake them together untill you get a uniform color

Step 7: Re-hydrating

If you want a bone-dry snuff, this step can be skipped and you are done!

Now we're going to rehydrate the tobacco for optimal snuffing. I'm using a 72% RH boveda pack. These can be found at virtually any shop that sells premium cigars It should cost a dollar, give or take a few cents. If they don't have 72%, go for 75% or 69%, or whatever is closest.

This can also be done with a salt slurry, By mixing some of that kosher salt in a bottle cap with a few drops of water. You don't want the salt to be dry OR dissolved, use just enough water so that its a thick gritty slurry. This slurry will basically mimic a 75% boveda.

If you are scenting your snuff, citrus peels can also be used as rehumidification devices

Set whatever you chose on top of your powdered tobacco and seal the lid for 24-48 hours. This will only add a tiny bit of moisture, it should be nothing like after we added the sauce and will still be dry to the touch

Step 8: try your snuff!

Give your snuff a try. Nice, am i right? If you followed my recipe it should have a toasty, nutty flavor that will mellow out a bit after a few weeks

Note* In the last few pictures you may notice that there isnt much snuff there. Thats only because i saved some to ferment for a couple extra months

Edited by Adolin (07/15/17 11:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAdolin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Toast Snuff Recipe ( Tobacco Nasal Snuff ) w/ Pics! [Re: Adolin] * 2
    #24472683 - 07/10/17 01:44 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Flavoring(Casing)

Flavoring(also called Casing) is done by adding the ingrediant into the sauce before applying it to the flour. Sugar-type casings will also increase fermentation. Some popular flavorings are as follows:

-Menthol
-Bergamot
-Molasses
-Cane Sugar
-Invert Sugar
-Sorghum
-Brown Sugar
-Rum/wine/brandy/whisky/ other food grade alcohols and liquors
-licorice
-fruit juices
-Sucralose

The ammounts you add vary based on the substance. For instance, Menthol is usually added as 0.2%-0.5% weight of the tobacco flour

Scenting

Tobacco readily absorbs various scents. Scenting involves indirectly adding flavor to your snuff by leaving an ingredient in close proximity to the tobacco during the Re-hydration step. In some cases, these ingredients can act as a re-humidification device themselves. Some popular scenting ingredients are

-Citrus peel (orange, lemon, etc)
-Vanilla bean
-Tonquin bean
-Mint Leaves
-various essential and volatile oils

An even stronger snuff

I used this same recipe recently with some Nicotiana Rustica, which is a potent variety of tobacco. It works well and the flavor is basically the same

just beware because while rustica is 'very strong' on average, leaves can vary between 2% and 9% nicotine content. if you get a batch of very potent leaves it could make you sick, not only while snuffing it but just grinding it

Edited by Adolin (07/29/17 02:03 PM)

OfflineMassful
Stranger
Re: Toast Snuff Recipe ( Tobacco Nasal Snuff ) w/ Pics! [Re: Adolin]
    #24479435 - 07/13/17 01:06 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

:heart:

Offlinealexman
Stranger

Re: Toast Snuff Recipe ( Tobacco Nasal Snuff ) w/ Pics! [Re: Adolin]
    #25277585 - 06/18/18 08:36 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I've never tried this, thanks so much for the informative guide! Know what I'll be doing this week :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman
1,812 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.