Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Protests against occupation?
    #2447894 - 03/18/04 05:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How many of you are having protests in your cities on Saturday against the US occupation of Iraq? Will you go?
For me, personally, I don't think it is sensible, with the state Iraq is in right now, to just pull out everybody and say, "well we made a mess and now you can clean it up Iraqis..." But I certainly don't think that having US troops with a military/corporate agenda in there is the right idea. I would say UN... but after having spoken with some "experts" on the middle east (British/Pakistani writer Tariq Ali, for instance), I'm not sure... he said that the average Iraqi has a lot of hatred for the UN, because of sanctions.

So now I don't know what to think... still going to the protest in Bergen, but I'm supposed to hold a speech and am trying to figure out how I feel...

Any thoughts?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Protests against occupation? [Re: Krishna]
    #2448006 - 03/18/04 06:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How many of you are having protests in your cities on Saturday against the Iranian suppression of dissidents? Zero? I thought so.

How many of you are having protests in your cities on Saturday against the North Korean nuclear saber-rattling and murder of North Koreans? Zero? I thought so.

How many of you are having protests in your cities on Saturday against the terrorist attacks in Madrid? Zero? I thought so.

Looks like the weekend is free for partying, then. Good times, good times.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Protests against occupation? [Re: Phred]
    #2448018 - 03/18/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

*claps* Excellent question.

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2448024 - 03/18/04 06:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Do you think that the majority of the Iraqi population is better or worse off due to the "occupation"?

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

Anonymous

#2448348 - 03/18/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2448368 - 03/18/04 07:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
How many of you are having protests in your cities on Saturday against the Iranian suppression of dissidents? Zero? I thought so.

How many of you are having protests in your cities on Saturday against the North Korean nuclear saber-rattling and murder of North Koreans? Zero? I thought so.

How many of you are having protests in your cities on Saturday against the terrorist attacks in Madrid? Zero? I thought so.

Isn't that along the same lines as the anti-war sentiment that there are more dangerous dictators out there than Saddam and that we should be focusing on them instead? I believe when I brought up that argument, the response I got was somewhere along the lines of "We'll get to them later." I guess the same response can be said here.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#2448371 - 03/18/04 07:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Poll: Iraqis say life better now

"A majority of Iraqis believe life is better now than it was under Saddam Hussein, according to a poll by broadcasting organizations released to coincide with the first anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion.

And almost half -- 49 percent -- of those questioned believe the invasion of their country by U.S. and British troops was right, compared with 39 percent who said it was wrong.

The poll -- the first nationwide poll in Iraq since the war -- was commissioned by ABC of the U.S., Britain's BBC, Germany's ARD and Japan's NHK.

Some 57 percent of respondents said life was better now than under Saddam, against 19 percent who said it was worse and 23 percent who said it was about the same.

Iraqi people appeared optimistic about the future, with 71 percent saying they expected things to be better in a years time, six percent predicting it will be worse and nine percent the same."

this is why nobody ever takes the anti-crowd seriously these days. jeeze.  the removal of saddam hussein and fostering of democracy in iraq is one of the few good things going on in the world these days. ask an iraqi. shit...  :shake:

how about protesting the occupation of cuba, north korea, iran, china, or any of the other dozens of countries held hostage by oppressive, unelected regimes?

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
    #2448616 - 03/18/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If there was I assure you I would be there. Only I would be protesting the protestors.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Protests against occupation? [Re: ]
    #2448849 - 03/18/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

A majority of Iraqis believe life is better now than it was under Saddam Hussein...

New Poll: 99% of the families of American soldiers who were killed say that life was better when their brother/father/son was alive.

New Poll: 100% of the Iraqi civilians who lost children from coalition bombings say that life was better when their sons and daughters were alive.

New Poll: 100% of the Iraqi civilians who lost limbs from coalition bombings say that life was easier with four useful limbs.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Protests against occupation? [Re: Swami]
    #2448907 - 03/18/04 09:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Source? :smirk:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Protests against occupation? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2448939 - 03/18/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

New Poll: 100% of the dead Iraqi civilians, international journalists and American soldiers declined to comment.

--------------------

User Gallery
    #2449011 - 03/18/04 10:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

New poll, 100% of iraqis from saddams torture camps agree that life is better when you arent tortured.
New poll, 100% of the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of iraqis who would have eventually been killed by saddam now wont be killed, far outnumbering those who were killed.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Protests against occupation? [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2449054 - 03/18/04 10:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Dear Black,

Saddam did his most numerous slaughter decades ago when he, George senior and Rumsfeld were "buddies". At the time there was not a single whisper from Washington on Human Rights violations, so apparently that is NOT the reason that we invaded.

--------------------

User Gallery
    #2449065 - 03/18/04 10:23 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I never said that the reason we invaded iraq was to liberate iraqis, or to prevent iraqi deaths. It was just a bonus to the invasion

--------------------

Anonymous

#2451155 - 03/19/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2451217 - 03/19/04 12:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Saddam did his most numerous slaughter decades ago when he, George senior and Rumsfeld were "buddies".

Amen.

All the mass graves found have been dated from the 80's when Reagan and Bush were sucking Saddams cock, or post-gulf war when Bush encouraged the Shiites to rebel, then let Saddam abuse the no-fly zone to slaughter them with helicopter gunships. A weak Saddam was seen as the better alternative.

User Gallery
    #2451246 - 03/19/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Dear Black,

Saddam did his most numerous slaughter decades ago when he, George senior and Rumsfeld were "buddies". At the time there was not a single whisper from Washington on Human Rights violations, so apparently that is NOT the reason that we invaded.

Key word most, and with libya in charge of human rights violations in the the gay UN, whos to say if he slaughtered more people that the UN would have done shit about it?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2451880 - 03/19/04 04:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

First there was the Iraq / Iran war of which there was no Washington mention of human rights violations. In fact, we supplied Iraq with many of their weapons including those we now deem morally unacceptable.

The first Gulf War was about Kuwaiti oil. No mention then of the fact that Kuwaitis were slant-drilling into Iraqi oil fields and that Saddam got a verbal go ahead from the US ambassador to take action.

Prez Bush stated that we were protecting the democracy of Kuwait. As Kuwait is a monarchy, was he merely ignorant or a liar? Either is unacceptable in a world leader.

During that war we used Syria as an ally in order to have flyover space. Syria is one of the top human right's violators according to Amnesty International and other watchdog organizations. No mention then of Syria's human right's violations.

Then - ALL OF A SUDDEN - the USA is the moral watchdog of the world. Which is why we went into Iraq - not!

No wait, it was about terrorism and 9/11. No that can't be it because:

Bush: No Proof of Saddam Role in 9-11
By Terence Hunt
The Associated Press

Wednesday 17 September 2003

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Wednesday there was no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 ? disputing an impression that critics say the administration tried to foster to justify the war against Iraq.

"We've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with September the 11th."

The president's comment was the administration's firmest assertion that there is no proven link between Saddam and Sept. 11. It came after Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) on Sunday clouded the issue by saying, "It's not surprising people make that connection" between Saddam and the attacks.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2451940 - 03/19/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

whos to say if he slaughtered more people that the UN would have done shit about it?

Well Bush and Reagan did absolutely fuck all about it when Saddam was busy slaughtering. They were so close to him it was dubbed "the love affair".

User Gallery
Re: Protests against occupation? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2452025 - 03/19/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, I was referring to what could have happened, you are referring to what happened in the past, two different things.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion