Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleComebackKid
Multispore Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: ked in the trunk of a car
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: senseit]
    #24505605 - 07/24/17 06:16 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

capmuncher said:
quick question about which way up to store your pitrie dishes. I have seen a lot of people suggesting to store it with the agar up (so the dish is upside down) but also came across this while doing some searching:

www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19616142#19616142

RR makes a point of saying vertically stacking plates. At first I was thinking he was suggesting to turn the plate on its side so that a stack sits on it edge but after some re-reading I think he is suggesting to stack them with the agar down, lid up in a stack. Can someone confirm that this is the accepted best storage method?

Also tried pouring my first stack of plates the other night (photos and update to come) but found I was must have poured a little hot as my plates all have a little bit of condensation. I have tried the hot cup method but not having much luck clearing my lids so I can see growth. Any other tips?

I was wondering If I put them all in a insulated cooler with a hot water bottle to heat the entire set of plates evenly then let them cool slowly together over night?

Hey I have never heard of storing them upside down but I don't see any benefit from doing that. I could see your wedge falling off the agar after a transfer from storing them upside down though

I'm sure you'll find your sweet spot for pouring temps through trial and error eventually. Some people get a lazer thermometer and record the temp before pouring. May be worth the investment?

Quote:

theoldclarysage said:
Grow log updated. Was wondering of I should just toss 1&6? Or to practice transferring away from contaminants? Or is that not a thing?

The two shiitake plates are growing very differently. Does anyone have any insight on this. Think one may not be shiitake. Or hell maybe both. I'll probably post these pictures in the gourmet forum too.

Nice stuff
1 and 6 dont look bad to me

--------------------
:amanita2: Substrate surface conditions / Monotub prep and care :sporedrop:

Look around you... Everything you see exists inside the mind.
Consciousness, the awareness that is experiencing this mind,
is peering in from outside the universe.

Our individual experiences are all part of the universe's experience of itself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleComebackKid
Multispore Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: ComebackKid]
    #24505765 - 07/24/17 07:22 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Updated my log
Added some technique tips in there if anyone is interested

JULY 24
The mycelium had thickened up and you can clearly make out the white mycelium and clear leading edge.

Traditionally you would make transfers from the white leading edge between the red and yellow outlines.
I personally like to transfer from the clear leading edge between the red and green outlines.

----

Here is how I make my transfers.
I flame sterilized my scalpel blade with a butane jet lighter until it was glowing red.
Then, in a still air box, I sliced a small square into the agar where I planned to take my transfer from.

Then I scoop out the wedge by putting pressure on the side of the wedge with the tip of my scalpel.

Then I cradle it on the tip of my scalpel while I fetch a clean plate to transfer to.

While the wedge is being cradled I like to keep my scalpel hand steady and bring the new plate to the wedge. This way I'm not dragging my wedge through the air and possibly picking up contaminations on the way.
I place the wedge in the center of a new dish by dragging the tip of the scalpel through the new agar leaving the wedge behind.

--------------------

OfflineJeebo
Stranger
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: ComebackKid] * 1
    #24506612 - 07/25/17 06:47 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Late to the thread!

Jeebo's Grow Log

First time attempting this hobby, started 3 agar jars on the 20th from MS, so far I have 2 with growth but 1 looks bacterial. Help needed!

29/7

1 jar maybe myc not sure, the other is a contam.

3/8

I did 4 transfer's from my best looking agar jar to pasty's plates. also made 2 LC jars which I will be testing on agar in a few days.

16/8

I have done 7 transfers from 2 of the least contamed plates in hope of getting some clean agar!

NEW TRANSFER's

27/8

Well a shit ton of contam's again, looks nasty as hell.
Only really 2 plates worth attemping to tranfer to new plate's which will be done today.

Edited by Jeebo (08/27/17 01:40 AM)

OfflineWicked Burn
Male

Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: Jeebo]
    #24507575 - 07/25/17 04:09 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Update: 7-25-2017

So here is a picture of one of the hot pours.  I'm not really sure it's even mushroom myc.  Anyone else have any opinions?  Let's ignore the obvious contam near the side there.  The edges where I scraped todays transfers from looked better, but not much.

I'm starting to think I didn't germinate spores at all.  I guess I'll just keep transferring and see what happens.

One more thing, when I scraped the myc off the top it did do it's little shrinkage disappearing trick that i've seen cube myc do so many times.  Is that any kind of an indicator or does all myc do that?

OP updated.

Edit: completely forgot to try the smell test until I went to toss it just now.  Smells shroomy.  I'm sure other things can smell like that though, so I'll keep my hopes low and level.

--------------------
Mr. Pink:  "Hey, why am I Mr. Pink?"
Joe:  "Because you're a faggot."

-Reservoir Dogs

Edited by Wicked Burn (07/25/17 04:33 PM)

InvisibleComebackKid
Multispore Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: Wicked Burn]
    #24507962 - 07/25/17 06:56 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Definitely looks suspicious but if it smells like mushrooms that's a good indicator. 
Hopefully the myc starts to smarten up after some transfers.

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) (moved) [Re: ComebackKid]
    #24508126 - 07/25/17 07:59 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

This thread was moved from the user's journal.

Reason:
Here we go!

OfflineSalviaGod
Bad Person, Good Guy
Male

Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) (moved) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24510302 - 07/26/17 07:29 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Iv made a few updates since the beginning. Anyone got any tips or observations or whatever?

InvisibleGerms
Space Force
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: Wicked Burn]
    #24510341 - 07/26/17 07:50 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Wicked Burn said:
One more thing, when I scraped the myc off the top it did do it's little shrinkage disappearing trick that i've seen cube myc do so many times.  Is that any kind of an indicator or does all myc do that?

As long as I've been doing agar it seems that mycelium that is more tomentose in growth will do that. It always fascinates me, as if the myc is retreating in fear :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere Flag
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: Germs]
    #24510363 - 07/26/17 08:00 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

:takingnotes:

InvisibleComebackKid
Multispore Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) (moved) [Re: SalviaGod]
    #24510376 - 07/26/17 08:05 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SalviaGod said:
Iv made a few updates since the beginning. Anyone got any tips or observations or whatever?

It's much easier for us to know what yoyre reffering to if yoy posy your updates on yhe thread as well as in your log
A simple copy and paste is all it takes :thumbup:

You definitely got pin mold in the one on the left but the rest looks salvageable.
I would suggest taking much smaller transfers though. All you need is a sliver from the leading edges

--------------------

OfflineNesmaster01
Mastermind of Mischief
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) (moved) [Re: ComebackKid]
    #24510409 - 07/26/17 08:20 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Glad I stumbled into this as I just started my first agar this week. Petrie plates poured Sunday and I poured a little too hot and moved them too soon. That being said I have some moisture on the lids and some of the Agar/LME splashed on the sides. I waited until they cooled completely and cleaned them with alcohol and paper towel. I didn't have Saran Wrap so I sealed the edge with micropore tape. I cloned the tissue of the largest and fastest growing Shroom from my first grow. Finally noticed some growth today. I also decided to use my inoc loop and some spores off my first print on another plate. I didn't think about sterilizing some cotton swabs for inoc I will try that next time.

***UPDATE 7/24/2017***

***UPDATE 7/29/2017***

So I decided to trash plate 3 because it had an obvious contam. Plate 4 tissue died so I tossed it also. I wasn't expecting much from this tissue honestly because It came from a cap after spore collection!

*Plate 1 looks dried out and pretty contaminated but I may decide to try to work with it? Suggestion?

*Plate 2 I decided to go ahead and make 7 transfers off of it as it was the healthiest piece by a long shot. I think it also has a contaminate on the bottom, so I took all the sample tissues from the top.

*I also decided to use saran wrap on the plates to seal them, not sure if that is a good idea or not? Do they need to breathe?

*I found some growth on my MS-Inoc of GT on the plate that looks promising.

***UPDATE 8/3/2017***

The MS from the first print I have ever taken from my homemade inoc loop. Seems to be contam free so far! (Proud Dad)

Here is the 1/4 of the original clone tissue that survived, the other 3 were tossed due to contamination. You can see where I took material from the 10-2 o clock areas. Looks like some contam @ the 6 o clock area.

These are all of the 1st Xfer plates 1-7.

1. Looks dried out on the left side?
2. 2 pieces of tissue and the right one looks way better.
3. 3 little pieces all doing their own thing
4. Bottom looks colonized but once again looks dry? or Contam?
5. single piece one side looks dry.
6. single piece one side looks dry.
7. single piece one side looks dry.

Seems like a theme here, I can see what appears to be mycelium but looks super thin and weak. Any observations or tips?

***UPDATE 8/3/2017***

I tried to get artsy with the back lighting to show the mycelium better.

Edited by Nesmaster01 (08/07/17 08:28 PM)

InvisibleComebackKid
Multispore Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) (moved) [Re: Nesmaster01]
    #24510422 - 07/26/17 08:26 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I'll add your post to the list tomorrow evening :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineSalviaGod
Bad Person, Good Guy
Male

#24510451 - 07/26/17 08:39 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ComebackKid said:
Quote:

SalviaGod said:

It's much easier for us to know what yoyre reffering to if yoy posy your updates on yhe thread as well as in your log
A simple copy and paste is all it takes :thumbup:

You definitely got pin mold in the one on the left but the rest looks salvageable.
I would suggest taking much smaller transfers though. All you need is a sliver from the leading edges

Ok cool.

I wasnt sure if i should be posting it in the thread as well as in my log, i didnt wanna clutter up the page by posting the same thing twice, thanks for clearing that up.

On my next transfers ill be sure to make much smaller cuts.

OfflineDactylium
Don't touch me I'm sterile

#24510454 - 07/26/17 08:40 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I'll be posting some pics of my work soon. Might do a few videos of my SAB technique as well. My mold farming days are over.

Offlineleafygreens
StrangerThings
Male User Gallery

Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) (moved) [Re: Dactylium]
    #24510912 - 07/27/17 12:53 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I got a question, one of my first agar plates got a pin. What should I do with it? The glad mini round is pretty neat. But my 2nd batch seems funky forgot to mark it but the print was a first 4 hours so I'm guessing the other 4 should be fine unless my sterile technique needs to be better. Though the first batch were drops from a ms syringe of Brazilian while the 2nd batch is a spore print.

--------------------
Joke's on you, we still alive

OfflineSalviaGod
Bad Person, Good Guy
Male

Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) (moved) [Re: leafygreens]
    #24510967 - 07/27/17 02:06 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leafygreens said:
I got a question, one of my first agar plates got a pin. What should I do with it?

Clone it by transfering the whole pin to a new agar plate.

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: ComebackKid]
    #24510994 - 07/27/17 02:46 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

For those of you who don't want to spend money on a torch, you can make a simple alcohol lamp for sterilizing your scaple/xacto blades when doing transfers on agar.

Making a simple alcohol lamp

also, this isnt cube mycelium, but this is relevant to this post.

Some clean cultures of reishi I did transfers on to expand out to more plates.

Plates that needed xfers

Took a picture outside the SAB after xfering to new plates.

and some transfer pics of some cube mycelium which came from the above unclean plates.

:thumbup: good thread idea cbk

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Edited by Ziran (07/27/17 02:55 AM)

InvisibleComebackKid
Multispore Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: Ziran]
    #24512648 - 07/27/17 07:34 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Added Nesmaster01 and Dactylium
Ziran will you be joining us?

--------------------

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24512798 - 07/27/17 08:44 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

i gotta pour some new plates tomorrow...already posted my agar pouring video :smuglook:

:uhoh: ...cbk hasnt seen it yet..

InvisibleGerms
Space Force
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Interactive Guide to Cleaning Cultures on AGAR (Sign Up Now!!) [Re: mushboy]
    #24512809 - 07/27/17 08:52 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
i gotta pour some new plates tomorrow...already posted my agar pouring video :smuglook:

:uhoh: ...cbk hasnt seen it yet..

Drop the link!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures