Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbalistae
Nocturnal
Male

Loc: OH Flag
Mycological work space critique and recommendations
    #24473107 - 07/10/17 04:03 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I have a small nook in my basement that I have been developing into a little work space of sorts where I participate in acts mushroom cultivation. I have decided to take some photographs of the various tools and items inside the room so that I can have the people of this forum critique my progress to craft a more convenient and efficient place to do my work. :thumbup:

The picture below is the entrance to the said work space. I am aware that the plastic sheeting in front of the door may not be of any use, but I believe it looks cool. Im probably going to take this sheeting down but I want some fun facts on if I should keep it up or not.

Entering the room and turning left, you can see the left side of the room. This is where I write in my science journal and mix substrates, below the bench is storage for multiple items such as mason jars and pencils. there is a light up above the bench that I plan to remove because it is garbage. You can also see a plastic sheet lining the left side of the workbench. This lining continues throughout the whole bench as you will see in the pictures to come.

Farther left you will see a fan with a filter taped to it. this is to ensure a semi clean work area so items do not get contaminated. Im not completely sure if it works at all but it seems like it is as you will see in the picture.

Now, when entering the door and looking forward, you come to see an SAB which I practice sterile procedures in. all of the SAB accessories are located under the bench and in the storage. As I have said before, the plastic lining continues on. In front of the SAB, there is a power stick that I currently forget the name of. it supplies power the the various tools that need it.

Here is a closer look at the still air box.

Now looking right you get overwhelmed by the complex machinery and equipment that you see. do not worry though as i will explain everything. The red blanket covers an incubator that I made out of totes, water, and an aquarium heater. I acquired the idea from http://www.fungifun.org/. currently residing inside the incubator are 6 jars of B+ and 6 jars of PE. to the right of the incubator is a scale, bowl of desiccant (the good magnesium chloride), dehydrator, and bags for storage. All of this stuff is used to dry the mushrooms and see how much I have. below is more storage.

Here is a closer look at the incubator. The heater is between the two totes.

Now, on the right wall you see a shelf with a SGFC that I have created. I am planning on making five more to fill the shelves and to hook up non garbage lights to the shelves.

That concludes my mycological work space tour. I hope you can give good recommendation on how to make my space better and eliminating dumb stuff. Sorry if there are any misspellings or typos.

--------------------
oh god what have i done

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: Herbalistae]
    #24473119 - 07/10/17 04:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Looks good, as long as you can stay clean and organized you're good.

The still air box needs much bigger arm holes. Working in there has got to be a pain in the dick with how small they are now

OfflineHerbalistae
Nocturnal
Male

Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24473130 - 07/10/17 04:13 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I was thinking about making a newer better one. Got any good teks?
The holes are as big as a wide mouth rim.

--------------------
oh god what have i done

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24473144 - 07/10/17 04:16 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I have a sab tek use that one lol

Wide mouth rim is like 100-110mm i would go twice that size in diameter

OfflineHerbalistae
Nocturnal
Male

Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24473148 - 07/10/17 04:17 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Will do :thumbup:

--------------------
oh god what have i done

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery

#24473178 - 07/10/17 04:32 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I would get that dryer out of that area and off that bench that you are supposed to do you clean work on. That is the reason for having a clean room in the first place. The food dehydrator will only kick up dust at least and at most will cause air drafts. Do that stuff on the back porch as no cleanliness is required at that stage of the process.
Otherwise , things are acceptable.

OfflineHerbalistae
Nocturnal
Male

Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: kingkc]
    #24473869 - 07/10/17 09:22 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Smart words. I'll be sure to do that. :grin:

--------------------
oh god what have i done

OfflineHalf-ass Astronaut
Professional amateur

#24473880 - 07/10/17 09:29 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

if youre not growing yet, i would personally strip all that old paint off the walls and re paint with a couple layers of a nice latex paint.

OfflineHerbalistae
Nocturnal
Male

Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: Half-ass Astronaut]
    #24473954 - 07/10/17 10:13 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I have been worried about the current state of the paint for quite a while. The reason that the paint is looking a little bummed out is because There are various leaks in the room that will have to be taken care of before I would proceed. once i have taken care of the surrounding walls, painting behind the bench I wouldn't think would be too big of a problem. I would just have to temporarily take the plastic sheeting down and take off some boards to get access to the wall.

Very good point astro thank you :laugh:

--------------------
oh god what have i done

Offlinespore-ty
Male

Loc: In the bush
    #24474205 - 07/11/17 01:08 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I mean your plastic flaps help to a degree so they work but if I were you maybe strip it all down like you said start with the problems you know of then build a grade a lab down there you got plenty of space and get rid of that incubator

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under your bed Flag
Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: spore-ty]
    #24474210 - 07/11/17 01:10 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Id take the plastic and those grated doors and puta real door on habitat for humanity is awesome for supplies i got my steel.door for 10$ and a solid oak door for 15$

--------------------

Offlinespore-ty
Male

Loc: In the bush
Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: Boogieman47]
    #24474224 - 07/11/17 01:25 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Boogieman47 said:
Id take the plastic and those grated doors and puta real door on habitat for humanity is awesome for supplies i got my steel.door for 10$ and a solid oak door for 15$

Ya might want to look into something if you want it to be somewhat shut off from the rest of the house

I'd also rip up the existing floor and lay something down other than carpet
then do your water pipes and all that fix your walls and go ham

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under your bed Flag
Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: spore-ty]
    #24474230 - 07/11/17 01:29 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Linolieum however you spell it is cheap but is a bitch you lay down right unless you have the right tools ...

I would look up some mold resistant/water proofing cement paint

--------------------

OfflineHerbalistae
Nocturnal
Male

Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: Boogieman47]
    #24475495 - 07/11/17 02:24 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

the floor is concrete, i'm not sure if ripping it up would be worth it.  :hehehe:
but I might give it a layer of concrete sealant or something to keep the integrity high.

I have proceeded with stripping the paint and taking the plastic off the door. Looking closer at the walls, there are about 3 layers of paint so its going to be quite painful getting all of that peeling disaster off. I will probably keep the door on for now until I get the inside walls done.

--------------------
oh god what have i done

OfflineHalf-ass Astronaut
Professional amateur

#24478939 - 07/12/17 08:22 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

you dont need to strip it all down. you can apply a sealant primer and then paint over.

if youre getting water behind the paint, the vapor barrier on the outside of the house is leaking. (it looks like a thick rubber sheet typically right at the level of the landscaping or just under it)

OfflineHerbalistae
Nocturnal
Male

Re: Mycological work space critique and recommendations [Re: Half-ass Astronaut]
    #24483509 - 07/14/17 06:23 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

People are going to repair that professionally some time next week. I have relocated my items to ensure safety until their work is done.

--------------------
oh god what have i done

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate