Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: LizardWizard]
    #24469899 - 07/09/17 11:46 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

It's shown to degrade plastic. Eating it is a bit of sensationalism it doesn't just chomp thru petri dishes.

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLizardWizard
GnomeGrower
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the parking lot
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24469967 - 07/09/17 12:07 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I've found that they use the plastic as a source for carbon. The plastic can be reduced by about 50% in weight. But then what?

It's apparently a trait also exhibited by pseudomonas aeruginosa and another handful of funghi.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, like, it shows the possibility of promising revolutions, but it's not going to be done in your backyard.

--------------------
The best things in life
can be smelled on one's fingers.

Offline99.99
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24470631 - 07/09/17 04:30 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

This is as close as I've got to a reusable petri dish it's not glass ore Pyrex, they sell at big lots three for a buck 80 and you can sterilize them in your PC or do a pasty plate with them

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: 99.99]
    #24470653 - 07/09/17 04:39 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

:shocked: Its like a pasty plate, BUT you can SEE!

Offline99.99
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #24470732 - 07/09/17 05:09 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Yes there really nice to work with I do a 16th inch hole in the top cover with two pieces of micropore tape and sterilize in my PC premixed agar I get seven per layer 28 total will fit in my PC

InvisibleTheMadHatter420
Trusted Farmer

#24471364 - 07/09/17 10:17 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I am considering trying these. Sold as container and lid, and made of Polypropylene. 240 in a case for just over $20. Only real down side is they are kind of wide. Like 4 inches wide, but o well. They have thinner ones that are a bit cheaper but I want the HD Polypropylene ones for a better chance to hold up in PC.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-8-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-and-lid-combo-pack-240-case/128HD8COMBO.html

--------------------
JOIN THE POW WOW

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: TheMadHatter420] * 1
    #24471508 - 07/10/17 12:01 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I just ordered some of those deli containers. The price was low enough for me to take the chance and see if they work. I'll do a write up once I've used them a few times.

Offline99.99
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: TheMadHatter420]
    #24471600 - 07/10/17 01:26 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TheMadHatter420 said:
I am considering trying these. Sold as container and lid, and made of Polypropylene. 240 in a case for just over $20. Only real down side is they are kind of wide. Like 4 inches wide, but o well. They have thinner ones that are a bit cheaper but I want the HD Polypropylene ones for a better chance to hold up in PC.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choicehd-8-oz-microwavable-translucent-plastic-deli-container-and-lid-combo-pack-240-case/128HD8COMBO.html

NO DONT TRY THESE THE LIDS ARE NOT PP5
I bought some i know !!!!

InvisibleTheMadHatter420
Trusted Farmer

#24472534 - 07/10/17 12:45 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

From this exact supplier? I had seen someone post a while back and they were lucky enough to find some that had pp5 lids.

--------------------
JOIN THE POW WOW

Offline99.99
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: TheMadHatter420]
    #24473090 - 07/10/17 03:57 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TheMadHatter420 said:
From this exact supplier? I had seen someone post a while back and they were lucky enough to find some that had pp5 lids.

Yes even this exact link the exact same amount everything was exactly the same as my order I went through a big hassle wanting a refund I promise you the cups are PP 5 the lids are not even though they say they are

I can show you the case of them I have at home as soon as I get home I'll take a picture

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24494748 - 07/19/17 06:05 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
From an eco point of view you have to dry heat sterilization in your oven for 1-2 hours or autoclave them spending the energy and waist of water. Just reuse of the glass ones spends more energy in all likelihood

Maybe if you were only sterilizing one dish a time :lol:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cooking.html

--------------------

InvisibleEdon
Seeker
Male User Gallery

#24656504 - 09/24/17 04:08 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I realize this is a 2 month old thread.

Wanted to bump because I just discovered the small Rubbermaid PP5 containers and lid at Walmart that have a pp5 tray that sits in the top.

I am now using the tray as a petri and the lid as a floating cover.
I just port my agar in them and pressure cook 25 minutes.

They are great for cleaning up a culture and transferring to PastyPlates. They wrap well with Saran Wrap or Parafilm.

I keep 5 on hand for small projects.
Polystyrene petries are still better for larger projects. But this format works well for me since I only have time for small projects.

--------------------
“True freedom means freeing oneself from the dictates of the ego and its accompanying emotions.” Matthieu Ricard...Still working on it!!! LOL

“Love...Light...Awareness...Bliss”

Offlineseilgu
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25138065 - 04/14/18 10:15 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

InvisibleCaptain Shadow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: seilgu] * 1
    #25139898 - 04/14/18 11:34 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I use glass. They go in the cooker when I make agar. There is no extra energy. If you can use a fork and knife you can handle glass.

Plastic sucks for everything, who the fuck cares if its easier for stacking, step up and take care of the planet.

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: Captain Shadow]
    #25155579 - 04/21/18 02:40 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

I cant read those links. Its written in Mexican or something.

Ive been trying several options lately. Glass is Definitely out. Ive got some PP5 plates in the works, I just put them to use and went out of town, so Ill see how they work when Im back. Deli cups may work out. And I still want to try the PMP plates, might splurge and pick some up soon.

OfflineMycosperiment
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: wildernessjunkie] * 1
    #25157265 - 04/22/18 09:30 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

wildernessjunkie said:
I cant read those links. Its written in Mexican or something.

Ive been trying several options lately. Glass is Definitely out. Ive got some PP5 plates in the works, I just put them to use and went out of town, so Ill see how they work when Im back. Deli cups may work out. And I still want to try the PMP plates, might splurge and pick some up soon.

Polypropylene plates work good but are harder to see through than glass or regular non-reusable plastic plates.

Deli cups and containers work too but make sure the lids are also polypropylene.  You also need to vent them somehow or they will deform when being pressure cooked.  I have used larger deli containers for substrate many times now and they seem to work good.  I've used smaller deli cups for agar and they have worked too.  I have some that have the lids attached to the little cups.  They either need to be vented or sterilized open and empty and fill them like regular petri dishes after being sterilized. 

So far I haven't found anything as nice as the disposable petri dishes other than real glass plates but being able to reuse them makes it worth the extra effort to me.

I have also tried using little aluminum containers with screw on lids for growing cultures on agar.  The culture has to be clean but I just inoculate them with a small wedge from a clean plate and then wait a week or two for it to grow out.  You can't tell until you open it if it is good or not but those little containers are strong and you can get one disc of agar to drop into a grain jar from them.

Keep in mind that in order to reuse any of them (glass, plastic, or metal) you need to clean them which takes time.  This is still a hobby for me so the time and energy to wash and sterilize them isn't a big deal but would add up depending on the quantity you need.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: Mycosperiment]
    #25157272 - 04/22/18 09:33 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Glass petri dishes are an insane pain in the ass for anything other than a small amount of work.

Try stacking more than 6-7 at a time and pouring.

Also I've cracked plenty of pyrex dishes using dry heat sterilization. But dry heat sterilizing is much nicer than having to foil wrap and pressure cook them

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Offline99.99
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Any opinions/Reviews of reusable Petri Dishes [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25158985 - 04/22/18 11:52 PM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
    #25161523 - 04/24/18 03:21 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

@Mycosperiment- Good post. And good points.

@Bod- I agree. The glass dishes are a pain in my ass. Im not a fan. They may have some value for initial spore germination, if you put them in a ziploc after. But if you're going to do that, you may as well use the disposables or PP5s. I suspect these glass dishes will be on my trade list soon.

@99.99- Those look decent. But the price I got on these PP5 dishes was pretty good. And they are purpose built, which makes them really easy to deal with. I think Im going to pick up more of these.

Heres some pics from my current project. A wild Pan Cyan clean up. Im using those new PP5 plates I just got for the first time. The clarity is reasonable IMO. A little back light and front light reveals the problems and gives pretty good detail.

Note that the temperature fluctuations in my place are pretty significant, and I get a lot of condensation in my plates due to that. Here's a comparison between the disposable (Red) and the PP5(Blue). The reds were stored wrapped and on the shelf, the blues were wrapped and stored in a Ziploc baggie, on the same shelf. I suspect that the combination of the Ziploc bag may be slowing down or preventing the condensation due to the insulation effect of the dead air and thicker material. Or...I just pulled that theory out of my ass. See the pics:

InvisibleLizardWizard
GnomeGrower
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the parking lot
    #25161526 - 04/24/18 03:23 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone got a link for us Europeans for those PP plates?

Hehehe, PeePee plates :grin:

Edited by LizardWizard (04/24/18 03:48 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate