Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)?
    #24463801 - 07/07/17 12:44 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I was thinking of just diving into a local school/gym for some twice-weekly BJJ training. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Any advice on what to look for and/or avoid in a school?

Thanks

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Syle]
    #24464090 - 07/07/17 03:48 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I wish I had the weight to do that.

I already picked MY Dojo when I do lose the weight.

Its good for discipline and good for health of mind and body.

Do it! Pick your martial art and get on the mat.

Make that Ippon.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Asante]
    #24466573 - 07/07/17 11:49 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

What discipline did you choose?

Curious if anyone else out there has trained in BJJ. Looking for input on Seattle area gyms.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Syle] * 1
    #24466615 - 07/08/17 12:21 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I trained for a few months. Everybody was super chill and friendly. They worked at your pace. You wanna train for world champ? They got you. You just wanna work on your endurance and basic grappling? They got you. My biggest downfall is I push myself hard. The lessons were 1 hour followed by 1 hour optional grappling. I always stayed nearly puked and died after every class. I underwent a constant barrage of bruises and nightmares. Then I got a job and moved which fucked up my schedule. Hopefully, I will soon be moving to nights at my job and I can get back to my gym. I really did enjoy it. The only con was $15 a lesson. Usually once a week is enough so you can heal which is $60 a month. I tried going several times a week but my old drunk ass body just isnt conditioned for it. Be prepared to get worked. Those fuckers will destroy you.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: I_was_the_walrus] * 1
    #24466623 - 07/08/17 12:36 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
I trained for a few months. Everybody was super chill and friendly. They worked at your pace. You wanna train for world champ? They got you. You just wanna work on your endurance and basic grappling? They got you. My biggest downfall is I push myself hard. The lessons were 1 hour followed by 1 hour optional grappling. I always stayed nearly puked and died after every class. I underwent a constant barrage of bruises and nightmares. Then I got a job and moved which fucked up my schedule. Hopefully, I will soon be moving to nights at my job and I can get back to my gym. I really did enjoy it. The only con was $15 a lesson. Usually once a week is enough so you can heal which is $60 a month. I tried going several times a week but my old drunk ass body just isnt conditioned for it. Be prepared to get worked. Those fuckers will destroy you.

Thanks for your input. You confirmed a couple things I was anticipating.

1. I'm pretty out of shape; probably 20 lbs over where I should be. I'm walking around at 200, and should be somewhere near 180. Weight loss, and conditioning in general, is one of the reasons I want to pursue this discipline.

2. The cost. The gym I'm looking at is around $100 a month. I can probably make around 8 lessons a month, so the cost gets right around the amount you mentioned. You bring up a good point too. 1-2 lessons a week is probably a wise choice; especially for a beginner, to allow for healing.

How old are you? And what's your weight?

--------------------

OfflineMatt87
Male User Gallery
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #24466625 - 07/08/17 12:38 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

The only guy i know in seattle is zack hicks. Look him up. He can point you towards a self defense oriented school.

--------------------

Once you understand the way broadly, you see it in all things. -Musashi

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #24466638 - 07/08/17 12:47 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I trained BJJ for several years, was a purple belt. Recommend finding a Gracie school if you have one in your area.

--------------------

OfflineMatt87
Male User Gallery
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Shroomism]
    #24466640 - 07/08/17 12:49 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I trained BJJ for several years, was a purple belt. Recommend finding a Gracie school if you have one in your area.

!!

--------------------

Once you understand the way broadly, you see it in all things. -Musashi

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
    #24466645 - 07/08/17 12:56 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Syle said:
Thanks for your input. You confirmed a couple things I was anticipating.

1. I'm pretty out of shape; probably 20 lbs over where I should be. I'm walking around at 200, and should be somewhere near 180. Weight loss, and conditioning in general, is one of the reasons I want to pursue this discipline.

2. The cost. The gym I'm looking at is around $100 a month. I can probably make around 8 lessons a month, so the cost gets right around the amount you mentioned. You bring up a good point too. 1-2 lessons a week is probably a wise choice; especially for a beginner, to allow for healing.

How old are you? And what's your weight?

As for 1 - weight can be good. Im 31 and 140. If anything, Im underweight. Endurance comes with training. Having endurance with more weight is a good thing. Youve got a leg up on me already.

As for 2 - My gym has deals as well. I tried the $100 or whatever dollar amount for unlimited training. I couldnt hack it. Like I said, you will get worked. They will try to talk you in to buying a month pass. Duh, its profitable for the gym. Stick to your guns and opt for the daily training price. Train once a week and feel it out. If you feel like you can do more a week, then go for it. I made the mistake and bought my gi and month in advance. I ended up only going once a week because I got destroyed. In the long run, it turned out to be a loss for me. It was a minor loss, but be aware of it.

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #24466696 - 07/08/17 02:00 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I've done a lot of boxing,only a little bit jitsu. Mma is really big out here in the desert

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

OfflineDeathby69
Хрусталёв, машину!
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Seriously_trippin] * 1
    #24466748 - 07/08/17 03:12 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Jiu-Jitsu's for pussies who like to roll around with other sweaty guys.

Krav is way more practical. Source: green belt.

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#24466767 - 07/08/17 03:43 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Syle said:
What discipline did you choose?

Curious if anyone else out there has trained in BJJ. Looking for input on Seattle area gyms.

Its extremely ambitious becayse I weigh almost twice what I should and I have a long way ahead before I can even begin, but I want to learn the Big Three of the Samurai: Judo, Jiu-Jitsu and Karate and I also want to get proficient with the Katana and my Wakizashi and practice Iaito.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Deathby69]
    #24467067 - 07/08/17 08:09 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Deathby69 said:

Krav Maga isn't more practical. It's flashier and seems like it but it's not. You're severely misinformed. Your goal is to tell yourself you can hurt people, that's great. Anyone can hurt someone, that's why you have jiu jitsu. BJJ is a gentler art but that doesn't mean it's ineffective. On the contrary really, it teaches the disadvantaged to gain an upper hand. It teaches people a more conscious approach to combative situations. Situational awareness. I'd put my money on a red belt over whatever top ranking master of krav maga, any day.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Matt87]
    #24467564 - 07/08/17 11:50 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Matt87 said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:

!!

People don't say he's a ninja for no reason.

OfflineTripsurfer
Bring Back Asante!
Male

Loc: West of Windward Flag
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #24467706 - 07/08/17 01:07 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know man. The Krav Maga as taught in Israel is pretty brutal. Also the difference in schools/dojo's is huge. Some will focus more on the actual fighting and will usually have people with relatively low belt colors, whilst others focus purely on the exams to get the cool colors to wear even though they can hardly put up a fight

If you wanna get fit, go boxing. Its cheap and effective

--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Asante] * 1
    #24467740 - 07/08/17 01:27 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Asante, as I've said before tai chi is perfect for you. Not just low impact but zero impact, however it does help you a lot. It helps with coordination, balance and focus all of which are very important in any type of self defense or martial arts. It also is gentle exercise, do it for an hour and you will feel it for sure. You have no excuse not to get started unless the lessons are just too expensive.

BTW, I do recommend gracie style as a good all around self defense. Too many karate schools focus on kata and sparring. The sparring of course is with rules that you do not have in real life situations. If you fall from trying a kick to the head, they don't stop and let you get up, you get pounded. Never try a head kick or high kick in actual situations. Also, many fights end up on the ground where jiu jitsu is strong. They rarely stay at a fighting distance where you can move in and kick then move out or just use punches. Soon as they see you are good at that they charge and its on the ground you go. Likewise, if they are better at a distance than you, you want to move in and grapple or go to the ground.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: larry.fisherman] * 2
    #24467918 - 07/08/17 03:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XLCaps said:
Quote:

Deathby69 said:

Krav Maga isn't more practical. It's flashier and seems like it but it's not. You're severely misinformed. Your goal is to tell yourself you can hurt people, that's great. Anyone can hurt someone, that's why you have jiu jitsu. BJJ is a gentler art but that doesn't mean it's ineffective. On the contrary really, it teaches the disadvantaged to gain an upper hand. It teaches people a more conscious approach to combative situations. Situational awareness. I'd put my money on a red belt over whatever top ranking master of krav maga, any day.

Krav maga is actually super practical. It's just a completely different art. It's more the art of breaking-bones and fucking-you-up-as-fast-as-possible whereas Jiu Jitsu is all about total control and domination on the ground, where most fights end up. Apples and oranges. I've studied both of them.

But Jiu Jitsu being for pussies.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Different styles are more practical in different scenarios. Jiu Jitsu is pretty much a mandatory skill to have in MMA today - if you end up on the ground where ~80% of fights end up anyway, the person with the most Jiu Jitsu skill is almost always the victor - Size does not matter. Krav Maga doesn't help when you are tangled up in a reverse rear naked choke from a BJJ black belt. On the ground - Jiu Jitsu reigns supreme. Any MMA fighter that doesn't also know BJJ technique puts themselves at a severe disadvantage.
That said, Krav Maga is very effective for standing combat.

But the best martial artists and most adept fighters don't limit themselves to any one style.
To be a good well rounded fighter you have to have all your bases covered - standing technique and ground.
And never limit yourself to get stuck in just one way of thinking or one particular style.

I studied shaolin gong fu for about 10 years, rounded that off with Jeet Kune Do the last 5
Studied Tai Chi Chuan and Chin Na for about 5 years, to advance in joint/tendon manipulations and learn more about human anatomy and how to manipulate it
Then Brazlian Jiu Jitsu to work on my ground technique, Then Krav Maga to learn different techniques.
I would not say any one martial art is better than another, all (the legit ones) definitely have their place. I've incorporated everything I've learned from all the arts into my own style.

The only ones that are a "joke" are the sport martial arts that are *mostly* only good for sparring against other people in the exact same style and rules - things like ~most~ forms of karate and tae kwan do. I started with Tae Kwon Do and then when i started learning Gong Fu, I had to spend like a year just unlearning and being deprogrammed from all the inefficient garbage they taught me. 

--------------------

InvisibleNot Responding
Busted Liar...
Male

#24467996 - 07/08/17 03:51 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I did in highscool. I didn't get very far though.

It was fun and def worth it. The dojo I was in covered defense, offense, grappling, and weapons once you moved into brown belt.

--------------------

Dear Kratom,

I've been numb for so long that I forgot how to feel
So I don't care if it will break my heart,
Just fuck me till I disappear

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Not Responding]
    #24468114 - 07/08/17 04:51 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Told you guys he was ninja on the real wow.

Shroomism, what would you say is your biggest accomplishment or golden moment in martial arts, and in which style and why?

InvisibleNot Responding
Busted Liar...
Male

Re: Anyone train in BJJ (Jiu-Jitsu)? [Re: Adden]
    #24468252 - 07/08/17 05:52 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a ninja on the real too.

--------------------

Dear Kratom,

I've been numb for so long that I forgot how to feel
So I don't care if it will break my heart,
Just fuck me till I disappear

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom