Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Hating popular music. * 1
    #2446480 - 03/18/04 08:32 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I've noticed something strange. Many people on this site dislike anything that our society deems to be popular. Case in point, popular music. I'm not discussing top 40-esque type of music like the American Idol Kareoke singers but rather bands/groups that sell a lot of albums.

I see it as those rooting for the under dog. Those that rip on people who listen to these "polpular group's" music for the sake of being followers are just as bad as those who won't listen to obscure music because it's not popular, does that make sense?

And what exactly is mainstream? Isn't Grateful dead and Phish sorta mainstream within the hippy(for lack of a better word) community

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
Re: Hating popular music. [Re: Innvertigo] * 1
    #2446482 - 03/18/04 08:33 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

It's cool to say you hate popular music.

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #2446487 - 03/18/04 08:36 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I hear you, man.. and it bugs the fuck out of me.

Hating mainstream is now.. mainstream. o_O

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Turd] * 1
    #2446491 - 03/18/04 08:38 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
Re: Hating popular music. [Re: ] * 1
    #2446498 - 03/18/04 08:42 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

mainstream shmainstream....... be your own person, dont let anyone else make you decisions for you. Wear what you think looks good, listen to what you think sounds good. I'm sick of people who like or dislike things based on the way other people feel about them. Be an individual.

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2446506 - 03/18/04 08:46 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I just don't like the fact that alot of the "mainstream" music put out now days seems to be more about raking in the $$$ rather than actually creating good meaningful music. Yes The Dead and Phish may be "mainstream" within the "hippy-type" cultures as you put it, but arn't they still more about promoting the music and it's communitys than anything else?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Hating popular music. [Re: Jared] * 1
    #2446510 - 03/18/04 08:48 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I've always disliked those that were rebels for the sake of being a rebel. This can apply to any situation,

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2446513 - 03/18/04 08:50 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I agree and disagree.  Sometimes its just psychologically annoying when you see a band you've been devoted to becoming all mainstream.  Like lets say a band that you could relate to with your deepest feelings for so long, and it was all special because you discovered this band and its something special for you and the other few who listen to it... then one day that band gets blown up everywhere you look and you start seeing teen girls listening to it just cause its the cool thing to do... etc.  I hate that, but I wouldnt say i'm one of those people who follow the crowd that hate the mainstream because THATS trend.  If people would be all wrapped up in this listening to music would get frustrating... poor early teen girls... :shake:

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Hating popular music. [Re: ekomstop] * 1
    #2446516 - 03/18/04 08:54 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Yes The Dead and Phish may be "mainstream" within the "hippy" cultures as you put it, but arn't they still more about promoting the music and it's communitys than anything else?

Perhaps, but don't fool yourself in thinking the Dead and Phish aren't doing it for the money. I'm not saying this is the only reason (as with MANY popular bands), and i'm sure they LOVEED/LOVE what they play, but it is one of the reasons they do what they do.

What's wrong with making money? If their music sucks they won't make money. Many people here dislike Metallica but it can't be denied that they are popular with MANY people. I really don't care how they market themselves as long as they produce music that "I" enjoy.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

#2446525 - 03/18/04 09:00 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Metallica is a band that can get as famous as possible but still be loved by all type of people... good band.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Hating popular music. [Re: filthysock] * 1
    #2446526 - 03/18/04 09:00 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

...because you discovered this band and its something special for you and the other few who listen to it... then one day that band gets blown up everywhere you look and you start seeing teen girls listening to it just cause its the cool thing to do

Isn't that being selfish? I understand what your saying but I don't look at other fans who listen to a group then make my decision if I want to listen to them. I found out my sister likes Metallica, I was bummed (my sister was/is a holy roller)but I still like Metallica.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineQuintessence
I am Hydrogen

#2446537 - 03/18/04 09:05 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Listen what you want to listen to. Live and let live.

I hate the mainstream media for many reasons because yes, they are all about money. You know they are getting smarter these days though.. I mean shit.. Robert Randolph was on Carson daly for fucks sake. I don't care how many people would like my favorite band. It wouldn't change the way I feel about it. Because I kinda stopped watching tv and listening to the radio all together.

And no Phish is definitely not in it just for the money. They donate all the income from there live music sales to The Mocking Bird Foundation.

Owned.

--------------------

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2446544 - 03/18/04 09:08 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I don't see anything wrong with making money, infact I think groups like TOOL, The Dead and Phish as examples would deserve some money for the hard work they put into their passion.  Everyones gotta make a living somehow. 

However when crap like Britney and N'sync are making millions of dollars for their labels through mass media and promoting crap in teenie bopper magazines ect.  ...I thought this was the kind of "mainstream" you were reffering to...This is the kind of thing that bugs me. 

I could only imagine how things would be different if influences like TOOL, The Dead and Phish were the ones in the mainstream spotlight, all over the media promoting clothing/magazines and products for modern culture. Now that would be interesting..  :smile:

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

#2446546 - 03/18/04 09:09 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I'm no saying it like disgusts me to he point where I stop listening to the band... its just annoying... like say punk in general ok.  I love punk... and it really annoys me when i walk down the street and see some teen girl wearing some expensive pink top with "I  :heart: Punk" written on it in glitter.  Its just annoying, but I'll still listen to the same music...  I cant really explain my point. 
Imagine you dead heads suddenly saw the dead dressed up in expensive garments, rolling up in the most expensive car, getting out with the hottest bimbo's you've ever seen, waving money around and kissing up to the press and promoting their newest song which is on the top list of every pop list... like what would you feel?

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Hating popular music. [Re: Quintessence] * 1
    #2446548 - 03/18/04 09:10 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

They donate all the income from there live music sales to The Mocking Bird Foundation.

I have a hard time believing that. I'm not saying it's not true because I don't follow Phish but where did you find this info?

Quote:

Owned.

Who's Owned? and what was the point?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

#2446553 - 03/18/04 09:13 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

He feels his arguement owned, he was like, "HELL YEAH I OWN, I RULE!!!" :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineQuintessence
I am Hydrogen

#2446564 - 03/18/04 09:19 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

The point is, you have no idea you are talking about. :yesnod:

Yes. Phish actually was the first band, I believe, to offer live downloads off the internet, pretty much right after the show ends from the soundboard. And they in fact do donate all of it to Mocking bird. I don't care if you believe me  :laugh:

Guess what else. Metalica just recently decided to copy this idea.. And we both know how they feel about money (see napster issue)

Phish loved the idea of free music. Metalica cried like fucking bitches.

--------------------

Edited by Quintessence (03/18/04 09:22 AM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Hating popular music. [Re: Quintessence] * 1
    #2446594 - 03/18/04 09:32 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

The point is, you have no idea you are talking about.

Oh lord, another militant hippie.  What exactly do you think i'm trying to talk about?  I asked a question of why people seem to be down on popular music for the sake of it and you are a prime example of that person.  Congrats. :thumbup:

Quote:

Yes. Phish actually was the first band, I believe, to offer live downloads off the internet, pretty much right after the show ends from the soundboard. 

Who cares? Phish can send out free videos for all I care, that wasn't the point of this thread.  re-read.

Quote:

Guess what else. Metalica just recently decided to copy this idea.. And we both know how they feel about money (see napster issue)

Yet again, I don't care what they do to either make their money or market themselves.  As long as their music is liked by me.  You're going on a tangent that is not related to anything i'm talking about.

Quote:

Phish loved the idea of free music. Metalica cried like fucking bitches. 

sigh......so what? Great for them.  Please see my original post. 

while you're at it, could you direct me to where it says Phish donates ALL their live show money to charity?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
    #2446597 - 03/18/04 09:35 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

For me, it isn't a question of whether I like or hate popular music. I enjoy some of it (Clay Aiken most noticeably. Haha, this is the Pub. You can't flame me  :tongue: :wink: I like some John Mayer too) I think it's more a question of respecting their talents as musicians.

Most the the top 10 over the past few years haven't written their own songs. Linkin Park uses the same tired formula with screaming, their guitar player blows. (Funny case - He got pissed off at people on a guitar forum for making fun of him for not being able to play, so he made a video of him soloing and put it on the internet, and he's a fucking schmuk. It is the WORST piece of noise I've ever heard from a professional musician.) Britney lip synches, American Idol people are just covers, and I can't really think of any more mainstream people since I haven't watched MTV in over a year.

Of the mainstream, top 40, artists, I only respect one: John Mayer. He writes his own songs, and if you seen Chappelle's Show or Austin City Limits, you know how good he is at playing guitar. In interviews he's admitted his albums are just 10 songs put together to get out an album, he recognizes they're not great, but they get the job done. But when you hear him play the blues or covers of Hendrix or SRV, you know the kid has got talent and one day, once he makes his name known, he's going to go back to his roots and bust a nut all over the popular music scene.

OfflineQuintessence
I am Hydrogen

#2446604 - 03/18/04 09:38 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

You can do your own research. I've been through this issue enough times. Go watch MTV or something..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder