Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
mushroom grow bags?
    #2444131 - 03/17/04 04:53 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

i had ordered one recently and i have a few questions hopefully some of you can help me with. please bear with me, i'm a complete noob. as far as colonization is concerned i hear that you can just keep it anywhere dark and at room temperature and it will be successful, but it might take a little longer that way. but i'm unsure of a few things concerning fruiting.....do i need to construct a terranium or is the bag itself one? do i need to vent it in anyway or does the bag take care of that? if a terranium is required would perlite humidification work ok? would room temp be ok as far as temperature? i had an idea concerning heat....i was going to take a large rubbermaid container, fill it half way with water, place an aquarium heater on the bottom (using silicon glue to hold it in place) and put the grow bag on another plastic container (about the same size as the first one)inside of it. in the grow bag bin i was going to lay down some damp perlite with fiberglass lid window for light. leaving the light (a 25w floro)on for about 8 to 12 hours a day....does this sound like it could bring any success?

i am most probably going to use only a small percentage of my syringe and save the rest for a future PF jar style set up, but for now i'm going with the bag. i know a lot of people hate the bag technique but i need something extremely easy because i don't know what the hell i'm doing. so if any of you have any comments or advice please let me know. the syringe and bag should be delivered shortly and i want to have as solid of a game plan as possible.

thanks in advance!
peace and be cool :mushroom2:
Psilostylin' :beer:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: Psilostylin]
    #2444191 - 03/17/04 05:17 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I think the bags themselves are made to be good enough for fruiting. Not sure about the fanning etc, or air exchange. Ive never used them. I think other methods are better but some people swear by mycobags...I just think theyre the exact same thing (the whole growing process) but in a different form.

But yeah, keep doing the studying and read the faq's they help alot. And no question is usually to stupid as long as you post them in here.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #2444268 - 03/17/04 05:43 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I used them when i started....keep out of direct sunlight and they require little fanning because they have a built in filter.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2444449 - 03/17/04 06:39 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I've see good size flushes and 11" shrooms from bags...

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2445481 - 03/17/04 10:38 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

thanks for the replies!

could i just leave it in an open space with a hovering light during fruiting? or should i set it up in a terranium?

peace

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2445771 - 03/18/04 12:02 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

the great thing about bags is versitility, cover the bottom half of the bag with a little newspaper and tape, allow for light from the top and you can fruit in the bag

open the top right below the seam and you can do a dunk in the bag, just make sure you allow it sufficient drain time, you can also add damp vermculite/coco coir and case it in the bag.... you could also set up a terrarium and fruit it like a giant cake... and any thing else that can be done with cakes or spawn

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2446135 - 03/18/04 03:56 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Leave the lights on... if you are fruiting in the bag, lights really don't matter much.

It may pin a little early, but the bag will be fully colonized by harvest.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlineclueless
justnew
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ANE
Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: Rose]
    #2446199 - 03/18/04 05:01 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

covering the sides with aluminum foil works to block light and is super easy. Also don't forget to crush if it is a grain based mycobag.

--------------------
I'm a rhinestone tiger in a leisure suit.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: clueless]
    #2446212 - 03/18/04 05:16 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Sure it is easy... but what is wrong with leaving the bag exposed and allowing the whole thing to pin? A bag is a BIG cake, not a casing. Harvesting the shrooms from the sides is easy. The bottom of the bag does not tend to pin because it is sitting on the ground. There is no need to cover the sides... unless you want fewer but prettier shrooms.

Noobies especially can gain from watching the bag grow. Foil or newspaper tends to block the view. The best part of mycobags is that you can watch 'em grow without fear of contamination. The filter patch works very well. They do not need extra air. Once you start opening the bag, they get all the air they need.

Yeah... crush the bag... and make sure you inject the spores properly. Inject the syringe so it squirts the inside of the bag as well as the substrate. Spores between plastic and substrate tend to start quicker... and you can see the colonization begin sooner than if you inject the middle of the bag. Also, injecting the middle often stalls growth.

Bags are a great way to pass the time while you learn how to do it yourself.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Anonymous

Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: Rose]
    #2446276 - 03/18/04 06:17 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

I would crumble and case or spawn to bulk but thats me

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: fee]
    #2446366 - 03/18/04 07:31 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Fee, you could always do as granola and break up the substrates while its in the bag, lay it out flat with the filter on top and make a pillow, after a few days of recovery you could cut an 'I' shaped slit in the top of the bag and case it in the bag to save a little hassle... less exposed handling

you could also pastuerize a little poo and do the same....

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2447735 - 03/18/04 03:20 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

thanks a lot for some insight as to what up.... i appreciate it

peace
Psilostylin

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: mushroom grow bags? [Re: fee]
    #2447856 - 03/18/04 03:39 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

They crumble and case well, but if it is a first grow... a noobie tends to feel safer if they fruit in the bag. A noobie's primary goal is getting shrooms... not bulk.

There will be time for bulk later.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale