Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeemer
Stranger
A newbies general PFTek questions...
    #2443429 - 03/17/04 01:09 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I have been reading up on shrooms on and off for a year or two, and I've picked up on a fair bit, but there's some things you just need people to explain for you, so before I go onto growing, I'd like a bit of advice...

Ok so I'm looking at using the PF Tek, using the one for the simple minded.

I know there's a lot ahead of me, so I'm just going to hit out with any questions I can think of off the top of my head... I understand I can get Vermiculite (and perlite i suppose?) at homebase and Brown Rice Flour at Holland & Barrett.

I don't have a pressure cooker. Do I have to buy heat resistant plastic jars so I can sterilise them in hot water? I can't use glass ones right because of the temperature? Any suggestions of a particular brand/shop? (I live near Glasgow)

Are MushMush good for a spore syringe? Is there anywhere better / of similar quality within the UK? I'm looking at getting their Equador, suggestions? I'd rather not have to use a US supplier because I have some euros around the house, getting dollars, and the whole wait would be a pain.

I want to have a pretty stealth setup as I still live at home but up in a loft. I have worries about contamination because it's pretty dusty here, and I intended to keep them at the bottom of a cupboard.

Where can I easily buy some sort of rubbing alcohol for wiping everything down?

Am I best taking everything outside to do the innoculating etc?

My room seems to get a reasonable amount of heat loss, since it's at the top of the house, the cupboard I want to keep the shrooms in is attached to the insides of the roof, where the insulation is, so it probably gets a bit cold from time to time. Would I really need some sort of tank heater and temp/humidity meter or is it pretty unnecessary?

Another alternative was to just keep the cooler box i wanted to use (it's about 20cm wide, 12cm long, 20cm deep, big enough for how many jars I wonder?) or maybe a similar plastic storage box, in my room itself, and keep a tiny room heater on during the day across the room from it? (its a pretty big room and this tiny heater just keeps the room kinda lukewarm)

I intend to use a large bucket type container with perlite for the fruiting stage. Once the cakes are birthed, does fanning and spraying begin right away? Is it daily?

I also tend to be away from Thursday afternoon - Sunday evening every 2-3 weeks, and I can't always get someone who could pop in and check the shrooms / cakes for me, obviously that wouldn't be a good idea about the fruiting stage, but as long as I take care during innoculating, would it be alright to leave the cakes for a couple of days at a time while the mycelium is still building up?

Anyways cheers to anyone who answers any of this!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A newbies general PFTek questions... [Re: Jeemer]
    #2443453 - 03/17/04 01:15 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

That's a lot of questions....I would not mind answering one or two but you really have to do some more reading because the answers are readily available.

As far as vendors go use the Shroomery sponsors whenever possible and you won't go wrong.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineJeemer
Stranger
Re: A newbies general PFTek questions... [Re: Ripple]
    #2443507 - 03/17/04 01:25 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

hehe.. I have read up a fair bit, like I said it doesn't all sink in, and sometimes you read something, don't take it in, and then wish you had a while later. There is just so much to read up on about shrooms that I wanted some different outlooks.

A lot of the shop/brand/syringe stuff was really just for other uk based growers, I didn't expect anyone to go through and answer everything, just a bit of help here and there, and some different perspectives. I got a bit carried away with the post, it was mostly stream of consciousness.. I'm just happy for anyone to reply with regard to any question I asked, as it all just came out! :P

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #2443565 - 03/17/04 01:41 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

First off you need glass jars we have a vendor here who sells the 1/2 pint canning jars that you will require.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Anonymous

#2443566 - 03/17/04 01:41 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I am not going to answer any of these questions as expereince is your best teacher right now...I could answer all your question but I know you will need alot more help in this project then just the shroomery..

We are here to help with problems, concerns, and confidence...try out the Teks on your own.. read the teks 100 times...wait a few weeks and then read them again.

your questions are basically asking us to help you through your entire grow..

you need to do research first, as you are asking where to buy house hold items. :rolleyes:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2444162 - 03/17/04 05:08 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

>Ok so I'm looking at using the PF Tek, using the one for the simple minded.
Ok.

>Do I have to buy heat resistant plastic jars so I can sterilise them in hot water?
Jars are better.

>I can't use glass ones right because of the temperature?
Sure you can.
Check this for the sources:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23257

>Are MushMush good for a spore syringe?
Yes.

>I'm looking at getting their Equador, suggestions?
A good strain to start.

>Where can I easily buy some sort of rubbing alcohol for wiping everything down?
Chemistry supply shop.

>Am I best taking everything outside to do the innoculating etc?
Bathroom perhaps that you clened thoroughly first?

>Would I really need some sort of tank heater and temp/humidity meter or is it
>pretty unnecessary?

The colonisation is faster with proper temperature.

>Another alternative was to just keep the cooler box i wanted to use (it's about
> 20cm wide, 12cm long, 20cm deep, big enough for how many jars I wonder?)
8 perhaps.

>Once the cakes are birthed, does fanning and spraying begin right away?
Yes.

> Is it daily?
Yes. although a day or 2 off doesn?t do any harm.

>but as long as I take care during innoculating, would it be alright to leave the
>cakes for a couple of days at a time while the mycelium is still building up?
Sure.

OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

#2445148 - 03/17/04 09:35 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I learned more about cultivating just by doing it than I ever did at the shroomery. The shroomery is about teaching the basics and then applying those techniques to your own individual situation. This website is great and everyone on it is cool as fuck, but you have to do some research and actually learn about mushrooms and their characteristics. The sooner you start growing the sooner youl c what I mean. After a while you will learn about what to look for and what you actually need. As for the heater in the cabinet. I would say it would be a good Idea. Buy a little fish tank heater, it doesnt even have to be one with a control knob, and put it in a glass of water and cover the glass with tinfoil so no moisture can escape. It wont be very acurate but it will be a starting point and will guarentee that you have a heat source close to the incubating jars that can help regulate the tempurature. Also a thermometer would be an excellent investment. I bought one for 2 buxs and although it might not be totally acurate, but it will give u an aproximate temp that can help you in the long run.

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck