Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrMushroom
Human Farmer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Australia
Is this really oyster? or a mystery contam
    #24451383 - 07/02/17 08:17 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I spawned 200ml of spawn to this tub containing 1.5L, and this is what it looks like a week later.

I was expecting total colonization, just a single solid mass.

or at least thin whispy growth all over. Is this really oyster?

What is it meant to smell like?

What should i be expecting on coir with a little gypsum included.

I thought oyster could make it on cardboard.
Now given it is spreading, it doesnt really look like its eating the coir, moreso, just trying to join up with other grains like cubes would. Its spreading slower on coir than it does in a grain jar. By now the jar would be done top to bottom consolidating.

Because i cant seem to clean this up on agar, and it never seems to produce anything remotely rhisomorphic, i suspect that my initial agar slice might have been overrun with a mold of sorts that looks like oyster myc and grows rapidly and never produces spores.

Or does oyster simply not grow well in coir?

Either way im making a new culture from an older confirmed hay jar that recently fruited after 6 months from the same culture, but 6 months ago.

How do i know if its oyster, what are the characteristics it would show?
is it normal for it to have a sweet-ish smell, like somewhere between the smell of a lithium battery, and menthol, but not at all fruity, just sweet.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this really oyster? or a mystery contam [Re: DrMushroom]
    #24451489 - 07/02/17 10:17 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Should be much more colonized than that for a week. Oysters grow just fine in coir, hpoo, straw, pretty much anything really. Fruiting though would be a different story if it doesn't have the right things in it, but it will rip through pretty much any bulk substrate.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation