Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMindgames
Stranger
Views on individuality
    #2444303 - 03/17/04 07:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You say that you are you're own person. You think, act and dress for yourself and that you don't care about other people's perceptions of you. You form your own opinions and your own beliefs. This is not true. We have all been subjected to years and years of media and other's pushing their beliefs onto us. It's funny to believe that there is a group of people out there who are in charge of the big media corps. and they decide and determine what will be fed to the masses, they decide what is importand and the more people who partake in the viewings of the brodcasts on tv's and read the pages of the Daily Newspaper we who do that in return make that information important yet it all started with a group of people telling us what is important, what is right and what is wrong. We arethe media and its propaganda.

--------------------
I'll see you on the darkside of the moon.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Views on individuality [Re: Mindgames]
    #2444323 - 03/17/04 08:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

We are programmed to conform. We can't help it. But we also can't help but be unique, even if only because we each have our own individual experiences.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Views on individuality [Re: silversoul7]
    #2445118 - 03/17/04 11:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with both of you.

But a good way to get deprogrammed is to stop watching T.V., reading newspapers, and magazines.  Quit for a good year.  Then, start reading again.  Or don't.

Actually, I haven't really watched T.V. since I started college in 1986, except for maybe whatever came on when I went to bed at 11:00 p.m., like "Cheers". 

When "Desert Storm" started, I wasn't aware that Iraq had invaded Kuwait for 6 days.  The newspapers had piled up outside my front door for a while.  :grin:

I don't mind not being part of mainstream society and not knowing current events too much.  My job doesn't predispose me to having such knowledge.  But at the same time, I'm not feeling like I have to conform to anything, because I don't know what's going on anyways. 

I like it this way.  Please don't yell at me for choosing ignorance.  But if you do, I can justify my position.  :wink:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: Views on individuality [Re: Frog]
    #2445850 - 03/18/04 02:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

We're all going to respond to our environment, so that will partially determine how we express ourselves. Pure individuality doesn't exist, but why get hung up on being different? Do what you feel is correct and enjoy yourself.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

OfflineMindgames
Stranger
Re: Views on individuality [Re: the universe]
    #2446264 - 03/18/04 08:04 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Let me state that i'm not trying to bash on anyone. I just never understood how people could say that they were complete individuals becusae its just not possible to be a complete individual and I wrote my view on it to point out my feelings towards it. That's all it is to an opinion and feeling. It makes sense to me though, obviously becuase its my own viwe haha.
peace

--------------------
I'll see you on the darkside of the moon.

InvisibleMr_Gubjet

Loc: Infinitus Kosmos
Re: Views on individuality [Re: Mindgames]
    #2446340 - 03/18/04 09:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You are part of everything else thats alive.

-Gubjet

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology