Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSemilanceatic
Stranger
MycoFarm kit - 2nd flush
    #24436458 - 06/26/17 11:26 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Hi guys,

So I'm just now harvesting my first flush (and first grow) with the MycoFarm kit

It's a bag of colonised grain as substrate with a 'polymer' casing layer.

I'm just wondering, once I've finished harvesting this first flush, how should I prepare this kit for the second flush?

The manufacturer just says to spray heavily on the casing layer until new growth appears, but I don't know if this method is ideal or needs to be altered to tailor more specifically to Ps. Cubensis?

I guess all the remnants of the bases of harvested fruits should be removed too?

Cheers

Edited by Semilanceatic (06/26/17 11:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: MycoFarm kit - 2nd flush [Re: Semilanceatic]
    #24436465 - 06/26/17 11:28 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

kits?

:haha:

i wouldnt spray heavily but you know.. keep it moist. do it yourself next time :cop2:

InvisibleAlmaDelita
Felines Forever
 User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
    #24436476 - 06/26/17 11:34 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Hi, please remove the link, no links to non shroomery sponsors. (If I'm wrong someone please correct me on that) Anywho, you can either heavily mist the substrate after harvesting (not too much) or dunk the entire substrate in water. Simply spraying the casing layer can work but don't over do it.

OfflineSemilanceatic
Stranger
Re: MycoFarm kit - 2nd flush [Re: AlmaDelita]
    #24436520 - 06/26/17 11:56 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry about the link, wasn't aware of that rule. Just included it in case anyone was wondering how the kit is constructed.

Haha yeah I know doing it yourself is the best way... I just went with the kit as it was on offer with the spores and was cheaper than buying jars etc myself, so seeing as this is just a little first-time hobby-experiment for me I wasn't too fussed. I'll be doing it all myself if I decide to go at it again.

I'll go with the heavy misting then I think. The entire substrate is tightly packed in a plastic bag so I think dunking it would be a pain.

How about removing the bases of the previously harvested mushrooms? How do I prevent damage to the casing?

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Loc: behind you Flag
    #24436526 - 06/26/17 12:02 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

The stumps of the last flush will fuzz over and become a space for new shrooms. Dont worry about the casing i started with the same kit if your in the UK i bet its from the same company. Is it still in the choke bag that comes with the kit with the bit of perlite? You could just dunk the whole thing then pour out the water once done. Dont remove it from the bag the cake is in is so big its a bitch to keep it hydrated but easier to dunk.
Heres my first thread so cringe worthy :facepalm: for me.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS come here and share your knowledge
COCA GROWERS UNITE
:penis:Click here for UK trades:penis:
:penis: need some supplies in the UK check Here or PM me:penis:
UK OTD uk members chat
UK supplies and trade OTD place to chat shit
Right Here
If you use "SWIM" you should DROWN

InvisibleAlmaDelita
Felines Forever
 User Gallery

#24436535 - 06/26/17 12:07 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Hah no problem about the link :smile: as far as the kits, no biggie if you wanted to try it that way. You could always try again and again until you reach success.

The substrate is fully colonized so it will "pop out" of the bag or container it's in if you dunk it. Dunking is only for like 12 hours I think if I remember correctly. NO longer than 18 you can drown the mycelium. When the time is up, just drain all the excess water and place back into fruiting conditions (ie fruiting chamber).

As for harvesting, just twist and pull gently. You may slightly damage the casing just try not to expose the colonized substrate underneath. Don't fret about harvesting too much, it's the easiest part :laugh:

InvisibleAlmaDelita
Felines Forever
 User Gallery

#24436543 - 06/26/17 12:08 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

OH! Also, depending if you let the caps open, then you can consider printing them too!

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24436563 - 06/26/17 12:22 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AlmaDelita said:
Hah no problem about the link :smile: as far as the kits, no biggie if you wanted to try it that way. You could always try again and again until you reach success.

The substrate is fully colonized so it will "pop out" of the bag or container it's in if you dunk it. Dunking is only for like 12 hours I think if I remember correctly. NO longer than 18 you can drown the mycelium. When the time is up, just drain all the excess water and place back into fruiting conditions (ie fruiting chamber).

As for harvesting, just twist and pull gently. You may slightly damage the casing just try not to expose the colonized substrate underneath. Don't fret about harvesting too much, it's the easiest part :laugh:

The way the bag is on these particular kits makes it impossible to pop out iirc, it sort of creases at the bottom and goes into the sub meaning you have to cut the fucker off. Also dunking for 24 hour is the normal i dunk everything for 24 hour every time.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

OfflineSemilanceatic
Stranger
Re: MycoFarm kit - 2nd flush [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #24438487 - 06/27/17 04:51 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I'm guessing it is the exact same kit.

At the minute I have the grain bag with the sides rolled down, sitting on the wet perlite inside the 'humidity tent'.

I've almost finished harvesting pretty much everything I'm gonna get from this first flush I think.

So I should just leave all the stumps that are left from harvesting? Should I remove all the 'aborts' that never really grew?

Could you describe what the process of 'dunking' would be in more detail? Just fill the bag with water then pour it out? It would have to be sterilised water right? The only thing is surely the casing layer would get really wet too, which I'm supposed to be avoiding?

Thanks everyone!

InvisibleAlmaDelita
Felines Forever
 User Gallery

#24438684 - 06/27/17 08:31 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not too sure about the stumps of the left over mushrooms that were picked. I always pick off as much as I can with doing as little damage possible to the casing and substrate.

Yes the water must be clean/sterile, fill in the bag with it and leave it for 12-18 hours. Yes the casing layer will be submerged too, the whole substrate needs to be under water. When the time is up, carefully let any excess water drip off and if you need to, softly dampen up any water drops with a clean paper-towel. The casing layer is gonna get wet too, you can't avoid that while dunking. The mycelium probably has a good "hold" on the casing and the casing layer won't fall off if that's what your worried about.

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
    #24438791 - 06/27/17 09:31 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

What the hell is the casing on these things?

InvisibleAlmaDelita
Felines Forever
 User Gallery

Re: MycoFarm kit - 2nd flush [Re: mynakedrat]
    #24438825 - 06/27/17 09:44 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

The substrate will need to be completely underwater so get a clean "weight" down on it, because it will float in the water. I used to use empty clean jars to keep the substrate from floating. Afterwards, place the substrate or bag whatever, back into the fruiting chamber or "humidity tent" and proceed as you would normally (FAE, misting, etc.)

OfflineSemilanceatic
Stranger
    #24438870 - 06/27/17 09:58 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, think I understand how to proceed now!

I cut the mushrooms down with a knife as I didn't trust myself not to damage the casing doing the twist method. I probably should have cut further down, hence these 'stumps'. I could try removing excess material from the stumps before dunking I suppose.

And yeah the casing is weird stuff, like a mixture of these golden flakes with a powder that turns to a jelly-like substance in hot water. It seems to have worked well though at least!

Thanks for all the help

Edited by Semilanceatic (06/27/17 09:59 AM)

InvisibleAlmaDelita
Felines Forever
 User Gallery

#24438881 - 06/27/17 10:03 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

You're welcome, let any of us know if you need more guidance on this hobby.
No don't worry about the stumps, if they are cut short enough they will just grow into fuzzy mycelium which is fine. Make sure to waft the fruiting chamber as much as possible while keeping humidity high.

Weird, the gold flakes you're describing sounds more like Vermiculite, jelly stuff in hot water? What like agar powder? :confused:

Well for me, I just used a plain ol' vermiculite casing, sometimes even mixed with a bit of coir coconut husk.

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24439005 - 06/27/17 10:57 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Leave the stumps tbey wont harm anything they will become a nice spot for more mycelium to take over and grow more shrooms.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24439010 - 06/27/17 10:58 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AlmaDelita said:
No don't worry about the stumps, if they are cut short enough they will just grow into fuzzy mycelium which is fine. Make sure to waft the fruiting chamber as much as possible while keeping humidity high.

Weird, the gold flakes you're describing sounds more like Vermiculite, jelly stuff in hot water? What like agar powder? :confused:

Well for me, I just used a plain ol' vermiculite casing, sometimes even mixed with a bit of coir coconut husk.

Its vermiculite and absorbant water crystals

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

InvisibleAlmaDelita
Felines Forever
 User Gallery

#24439041 - 06/27/17 11:09 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mrmazdarx9 said:
Quote:

AlmaDelita said:

Its vermiculite and absorbant water crystals

Oh. Since when did members here start using that? I've never heard or seen such a thing till now.

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24439049 - 06/27/17 11:12 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

No they dont its just what comes with that kit OP is using.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

OfflineSemilanceatic
Stranger
    #24441269 - 06/28/17 02:31 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for all the help.

It's important to remove any 'aborts' right, like the little mushrooms that never grew? There's a few that have tried to grow from down the sides of the bag too, should I try to remove those (carefully)?

What do you reckon my best bet would be for getting as good yield as possible with this second flush? Would I benefit from doing a 'roll' in vermiculite after the dunk? Take it out of the bag to allow fruiting from all sides?

I'll post a few pics later of the first harvest, the shrooms looked great (to me) and I'm pretty proud of them, but think I'm only gonna be yielding about 11g dry which is a bit less than expected, so if there's anything I can tweak for this second flush I'm all for it.

What would you guys say the best tek for a DIY setup would be to progress to next? I've still got a bunch of spores so I'm keen to get going again ASAP!

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24441394 - 06/28/17 04:52 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

All those questions were asked and answered in my thread i linked. Rolling in verm now may create a microclimate that will breed contams, take it out of the choke bag into an sgfc, the bag the actual grow is living in dont remove your sub will be a bitch to keep from drying out. Id reccomend pf tek  for shooting spores its the most forgiving tek.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder