Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoeone
Stranger

Tips for synchronising cakes
    #24441301 - 06/28/17 03:01 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Hello Shroomery! I'm fishing for some advice today with regards to synchronising growth between cakes (if that's even a thing).

I have a setup with 3 big cakes, out of which one is as if on steroids (a lot of birth spots, tons of pins poking out, highly ahead of the other two cakes), then there's a mid one with just a couple of birth spots and mostly primordial pin heads barely being distinguished from the cake substrate, and finally, a third cake with barely any signs of pinheads, more still in the stage of hyphal knots. Apologies for the lower quality pics but I don't have better equipment.

I would like to know - is there a way to 'sync' these cakes, as in bring the 2nd and 3rd cakes to the level of the first. Or is this just how things are, some cakes have more mycelium, others are faster to colonise, pin, and grow, others are just super fast? If you can spot anything that you would change/improve please shout out. This is only my second grow, and first with a proper fc, so I want to soak in all advice.

Thanks!!

Cake 1:

Cake 2:

Cake 3:

My setup:

I do gentle misting, that is I have a spray bottle which is set on misting and I generally mist from a distance (about 15-20 in) and just let the thin mist gently settle on the fc. I do fanning about 2-3 times a day. Perlite helps with the moisture from the bottom, and all sides of the fc are drilled with 0.4 in wholes 2 in apart for fae. I also do a mix of LED lighting and natural lighting as I still don't know which is better and sometimes it's really dark outside where I live :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

Loc: The Sporetorn States
Re: Tips for synchronising cakes [Re: moeone]
    #24441313 - 06/28/17 03:16 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

The angle from which you mist and their position relative to the sides of the SGFC will probably have some minor effect.  Mainly, when you grow from multispore, the genetics and possible bacterial contaminants that can trigger early pinning and extremely weak performance will be the main factors at play.  A cake that gets inoculated with faster (mycellium growing) genetics or gets a better spread of spore solution may colonize faster and be ready to fruit faster upon introduction of fruiting conditions.

Putting the cakes through a grater and spawning them to coir would also even it out significantly.  Cakes are a PITA generally, just finish your grow and upgrade your tek for better results.  It is possible to apply almost every advanced technique to cakes, but is almost always more work to do so.  Go look at spungiform's threads if you wanna see some of the crazy shyte you can do with cakes.

--------------------

I spawned some popcorn casings and had double-overlay cause I didn't put enough hydrogen peroxide in my automated aquarium mister.  I only got one mushroom so I cut off the head part where the seeds fall from and put it in a jar of LC and sprayed it all over a tin of PF cakes I made with gravel, cardboard, and bisquick in my microwave.  I think it will be good cause B+ is so potent.
Triggered yet?

Only a square would say "a cube is a cube."

No, this does not look right...

InvisibleDr.Satan
Mad Professor
I'm a teapot

Re: Tips for synchronising cakes [Re: moeone]
    #24441315 - 06/28/17 03:18 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

If they're MS cakes then they will definitely vary in results. No way to change that.

--------------------

OfflineO.G. Chem
Male User Gallery

Re: Tips for synchronising cakes [Re: Dr.Satan]
    #24445205 - 06/29/17 05:01 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Dude...we look the same.

--------------------
Everything said here is a lie, fabrication, or work of fiction.

OfflineO.G. Chem
Male User Gallery

Re: Tips for synchronising cakes [Re: O.G. Chem]
    #24445228 - 06/29/17 05:07 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I nocced up 4 of these "bricks" at the same time. (Mine are 1.3-1.6 lbs each) Two were 100% colonized  within three weeks, consolidated for 8 days, dunked 24 hrs and then rolled. There's still two bricks left, one is 95% colonized and the other is about 85%...MS nocc is a crapshoot...just gotta let them do their thing. It's why I'm moving on to agar soon.

--------------------
Everything said here is a lie, fabrication, or work of fiction.

Edited by O.G. Chem (06/29/17 05:12 PM)

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
Re: Tips for synchronising cakes [Re: O.G. Chem]
    #24445233 - 06/29/17 05:08 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Cake.. MEtronome.

A caketrenome!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder