Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Loc: The Netherlands Flag
mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit
    #24439325 - 06/27/17 02:57 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

As the title says, I have a growkit that I had 2 successful flushes with so far but now during the 3rd flush I only see mushrooms growing on the sides and even on the bottom of the kit.
I had a couple growing on the sides during the first 2 flushes but not much and there were plenty growing on top too, now so far I only see them growing on the sides/bottom.
Pretty sure it's only so bad now because the stuff in the growkit shrunk a bit during the first two flushes/dunks so there's now a little bit more room for them to grow there.

And now after wrapping the kit in aluminum foil a couple of days ago some of the shrooms that had enough room to grow to the top did so and even opened up already so they're ready to harvest, but there are only about 10 that grew to the top so far.
So I guess I'm going to harvest them today but I have no clue how to proceed from there.
Should I just harvest them and keep on going and hope it starts to grow at the top now that I put aluminum foil on the sides/bottom or am I better off dunking it first after removing the mushrooms?
And there are some mushrooms on the bottom that are pushing the contents of the kit upwards, should I try to remove them or isn't it worth the possible contamination and am I better off just leaving them?

--------------------
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” - Carl Sagan

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: MeatSack]
    #24439928 - 06/27/17 06:38 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

grow kits are a waste of money. They are growing on the side and bottom because the micro-climate conditions around the substrate are better than the surface. pftek or a small shoebox monotub will produce tremendous results with most ground dwelling mushroom species.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: Chwyn]
    #24440090 - 06/27/17 07:26 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

How is it a waste of money when I already harvested close to 550 grams wet off of it so far, and there's possibly more to come.
For me it was certainly worth the money for the first time growing them myself.
I get that it can be a lot cheaper to do it all yourself, and apparently also more effective, but for the little bit of time it took me to do it and not having to buy anything else like a pc etc., and not having to worry about sterilizing everything, let alone all the extra work it takes, it really doesn't feel like a tremendous waste of money to me.
Now if I do more grows in the future I might do it all myself but I'm pretty satisfied with how it went so far with this growkit.

It doesn't matter anyway, I now have this growkit going, so of course I want to make the most of it.

--------------------
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” - Carl Sagan

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: MeatSack]
    #24440151 - 06/27/17 07:44 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Btw I just harvested everything, even the growth on the bottom (still got 83 grams from it, there was more growing on the bottom than I thought), so I hope I didn't do too much damage or contaminated it, but I wonder if I should dunk it again or just let it sit and wait, as I dunked it very recently (can't remember exactly but iirc it's maybe 5 days ago, at most a week.)
I was surprised to see so much growth was on the bottom as I didn't think it would go that fast. I did spray a bit of water on the top part as it seemed a bit dry and put it back in the bag, but now I'm wondering if I'm better off dunking it.

--------------------

OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

#24440163 - 06/27/17 07:48 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

dunking should hydrate it enough for a few flushes.

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: Chwyn]
    #24440738 - 06/27/17 10:51 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Ok thanks, I guess I'll just leave it as it is right now then and hope it will still produce some more, as it's probably getting close to its end right now.

Anyone got any thoughts on taking the substrate out of the container and putting it in something that leaves enough room for the mushrooms to grow properly on the sides? I'm wondering if that might be a better way to go about it now to really get the most out of this kit, as it seems to grow so easy on the sides at the moment.
If it's not going to do much on top within a week or two I might just try that out, unless someone can tell me why this would not be a good idea, besides possible contamination which I guess isn't that big a deal as the kit is probably close to its end already anyway.

--------------------

OfflinePaddyWhite
Apprentice

#24444594 - 06/29/17 03:10 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Make sure to take a spore print for your future cultivation!

--------------------
My mini unmod monotub grow log!

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: PaddyWhite]
    #24446403 - 06/30/17 08:21 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PaddyWhite said:
Make sure to take a spore print for your future cultivation!

Thanks for the suggestion. Damn I wish you suggested that earlier, I already dried the last shrooms I harvested.
I don't think you can/should take a spore print from a dried shroom can/should you?
I hope there will grow some more but so far I didn't see anything popping up, so I hope this kit isn't done.
But I know that as soon as I take a spore print I just can't stop myself from really having to get into cultivating mushrooms seriously, so I'm a bit scared to do so lol.

--------------------

Offlinepi_cubed
Stranger

#24449542 - 07/01/17 02:06 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

You can take samples of the mycelium and use agar. That way you won't have to purchase more spores or syringes.

InvisibleTheMadHatter420
Trusted Farmer

Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: pi_cubed]
    #24450799 - 07/01/17 11:32 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

As a substrate shrinks from the 1st couple flushes, it creates a really nice microclimate on the sides between the substrate and the container/ chamber it is fruiting in. This is normal and happens to us all.

--------------------
JOIN THE POW WOW

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: TheMadHatter420]
    #24451988 - 07/02/17 02:40 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

pi_cubed said:
You can take samples of the mycelium and use agar. That way you won't have to purchase more spores or syringes.

Ok thanks. I´m hoping I will still get some shrooms going from this kit and take a spore print from them though, as that seems to be pretty easy to do, this sounds like it's a little bit more complicated.

Quote:

TheMadHatter420 said:
As a substrate shrinks from the 1st couple flushes, it creates a really nice microclimate on the sides between the substrate and the container/ chamber it is fruiting in. This is normal and happens to us all.

Thanks.

--------------------

Offlinepi_cubed
Stranger

#24454213 - 07/03/17 12:40 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

It is more complicated but not rocket science either. As I understood it you were worried you wouldn't get any more mushrooms so I suggested sampling the mycelium. Although agar is more complicated it's really something everyone should learn. It is a great way to get clean samples to work from free of contaminants.

Here's a simple agar technique:

Pastywhyte's Easy Agar Tek

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: pi_cubed]
    #24454429 - 07/03/17 02:22 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

pi_cubed said:
It is more complicated but not rocket science either. As I understood it you were worried you wouldn't get any more mushrooms so I suggested sampling the mycelium. Although agar is more complicated it's really something everyone should learn. It is a great way to get clean samples to work from free of contaminants.

Here's a simple agar technique:

Pastywhyte's Easy Agar Tek

Thanks. The thing is that I'm not sure yet if I want to get into growing them seriously.
It all depends on how often I'm going to do mushrooms in the future, so I'll first have a look at how long this batch is going to last me.
I initially planned to grow them to try out microdosing so if that's all I'm going to do I guess this batch could last me for quite a while, but after a 4.2 gram trip i did a couple days ago I feel like I might do larger doses at times too, even though it was a bit scary at times lol.

There's finally some pinning going on in the kit now though so if everything goes well I can still take a spore print from these.
And if i'm not going to use it I might just frame it and put it on my wall.

--------------------

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: TheMadHatter420]
    #24455686 - 07/04/17 12:25 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheMadHatter420 said:

:whathesaid:

I also notice that my sub becomes alooooot more thirsty after the first flush. Like misting evaps so fast/gets absorbed by the sub even after the bottom water.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: Ziran]
    #24469609 - 07/09/17 11:18 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Some more mushrooms grew so I tried to take a spore print from two mushrooms. One barely left a print at all, and the other one is a bit faint compared to other ppls spore prints. I left it for 24 hours then looked to see if there were any spores visible but there wasn't much so I left it sitting for another 24 hours. Would this be ok to use?

Quote:

Ziran said:
I also notice that my sub becomes alooooot more thirsty after the first flush. Like misting evaps so fast/gets absorbed by the sub even after the bottom water.

I didn't notice anything like that so far.

--------------------

Edited by MeatSack (07/09/17 11:19 AM)

OfflineSteevo
Just a cog in the death wheel
 User Gallery

Loc: Here and There
    #24469701 - 07/09/17 12:16 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Bod's proper spore printing TEK

Not sure how you went about it but this has been useful to me

--------------------

OfflineMeatSack
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: mushrooms only growing on the side and the bottom of a grow kit [Re: Steevo]
    #24472996 - 07/10/17 05:25 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Steevo said:
Bod's proper spore printing TEK

Not sure how you went about it but this has been useful to me

Thanks. Interesting information. I definitely didn't go about it that thoroughly lol. I'll keep it in mind for the next time I take spores.
I hope I still get a flush out of this grow kit but I'm afraid it's pretty much done, so I don't think I can still get some decent spore prints from these.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started