Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Finding Religion
    #2443794 - 03/17/04 02:36 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I'm Roman Catholic by birth and up bringing, and I also raised my children as Catholics. When they were in Grammar school we attended church on Sunday and I went on retreat every year. Now that they are no longer "required' to attend mass by their school, coupled with some very un-Christian like things that the Pastor did, I no longer attend.

The other night I was thinking about how I missed having religion in my life and actually thought about the possibility of learning about other religions.

Does anyone relate to this at all?

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrWho
TimeLord

Loc: nth ring
Re: Finding Religion [Re: Ripple]
    #2443840 - 03/17/04 02:49 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

yes sir!

i was raised in a right wing miltary family
we went to a fundementalist baptist church 3 times a week...

now, i do consider my self a christian.
had the experience at 7 years old.

but have since left the "organized" part of religion very far behind...

personaly i have a kick ass relationship with God.
but cant stand the church or the nation as a whole..

i dont feel the need to comun with others [religously], as every enconter with another homan or other wise is unique. if the opertunity presents its self i will definatly tell some one how to fine deeper peace. but i am not a misionarry, and would rather this whole thing come to a point.

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2443844 - 03/17/04 02:50 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Religion is a very important aspect of many's lives, mine included.

Although I am not bound to any specific religion, I have learned more of my own self , and God, by undersstanding the great scriptures of religions.

Something you must understand.

1) No scripture has any answers. The answers are in you, the scriptures are the key to unlocking them.

2) No religion should be taught to children, not in the strict sense anyway. Mention god to them, take them to church a bit, but beyond that, your just raising them to think a certain way. Let them explore God and Creativity in their OWN way. It should be more important to raise them to do peaceful and well-intentioned things, then to raise them to believe a certain belief about God. A man who hasnt realized god is NOT lost, only a man that does bad, with deliberate intention , is LOST.

Having said my beliefs regarding that, read the following, brother:

Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzu
Bhagavad Gita - Hindi text (DO NOT PASS THIS ONE UP)
Gnostic texts - there are many, probably 100's. Read them, there is much wisdom there
Bible - Gospel of Mathew, Revelations, Genesis are all really good. Ive only read those, so I cant recommend anything else. Be careful about the old testament though, it holds a lot of nonsense, and it lacks a lot of Truth. IT does have a lot of wisdom though

www.TheGreatIllusion.com - read that as well

Offlineaaronumbra
www.wherewestand.orgCo-Founder

Loc: Houston, TX
    #2444053 - 03/17/04 04:30 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Thom Hartmann's spirituality books, especially his sort-of autobiography Prophet's Way is quite interesting. He's my kind of man, aspires and admires Jesus and spirituality. Not religion. Religion is used to control others by acting on their hopes and fears. Spirituality is doesn't require a middleman, neither does getting in touch with God, whatever it may be.

--------------------
"The army is on Ecstasy, so they say. I read all about it in USA Today. They stepped up drug testing to make it go away. It's hard to kill the enemy rollin' on MDMA."

-Oysterhead

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Finding Religion [Re: DrWho]
    #2444618 - 03/17/04 07:24 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

" now, i do consider my self a christian.
had the experience at 7 years old.

but have since left the "organized" part of religion very far behind...

personaly i have a kick ass relationship with God.
but cant stand the church or the nation as a whole"

Very similar to my story..... I hate it when people class all religion into one category and base thier veiws on things they see as wrong..... Im not against organized religion, I just think people give it a bad name.... cheers to the church of self :beer:

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Finding Religion [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2444652 - 03/17/04 07:35 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

The "church of self" is just how you develope spirituality, and in your own way. Organized religion you follow dogma, and bend what you think and what you practise around what someone else thinks should be done.
Hooray for spirituality, but boo on organized religion. I feel spiritually zapped after going to church.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2444684 - 03/17/04 07:43 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

I don't have any religion, just personal spirituality.
I was raised as a christian, but pfffftt.. that didn't last.
In my belief system I have adopted some views of Buddhism, Taoism, Paganism, maybe even some fragments of bible stories.. and taken bits and pieces and based them on my own life experiences to form my own philosophies and such.

Life is good. I am glad that we have this great planet, and I love the sun and the moon. Trees are fucking awesome. I love you guys, let's eat some mushrooms and talk about formless water telepathically while staring at the stars in a lush green field and be thankful for being alive and breathing

^^^^
That's my religion

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Finding Religion [Re: Shroomism]
    #2444745 - 03/17/04 07:57 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

evry time i've had a spiritual experince i was not in church, im kinda with dr. who on this issue

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Finding Religion [Re: peleg]
    #2444756 - 03/17/04 08:00 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Ya. If you want a spiritual experience, try tripping out in the woods. There's nothing more spiritual than nature, especially while under the inflence of the sacred mushrooms.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Finding Religion [Re: aaronumbra]
    #2445072 - 03/17/04 09:24 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

What a coincidence! I belonged to Thom Hartmann's forum before I came here! I like what he writes.

As to this: "The other night I was thinking about how I missed having religion in my life and actually thought about the possibility of learning about other religions."

I was raised Catholic. I quit going to church the day I turned 18. I had become Christian when I was 16 and was waiting for the day I turned 18 that I could tell my parents I wasn't attending Catholic church any longer.

I'm satisfied with my Christian beliefs. But I need a church to attend. I found a church where there is this minister from the south who has a nice accent and a laid-back attitude, who explains the bible pretty simply.

That's all I want from the pastor of my church: Simplicity. I spend my week thinking and interacting with a lot of people. I want the hour on Sunday just to sort of get my head grounded. I want someone to just remind me about what's important in life.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2445289 - 03/17/04 10:02 PM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Life is good. I am glad that we have this great planet, and I love the sun and the moon. Trees are fucking awesome. I love you guys, let's eat some mushrooms and talk about formless water telepathically while staring at the stars in a lush green field and be thankful for being alive and breathing

^^^^
That's my religion

Yes I agree, life is beautiful and breathing is a gift

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #2446099 - 03/18/04 03:16 AM (20 years, 15 days ago)

Once you realize that ALL organized religions are man made.

It makes it easier to shed your self from its shackles.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2446345 - 03/18/04 07:12 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

greeting ripple...
ah yes, "there's a seeker born every minute!" :wink: ...
when you say "other religions" mean ye other flavors of christianity? or farther afield?
i could flang a booklist at ye, for plenty good advice about this, & that, & summat o' t'other thing...

~
mmmm, what did bob wilson say? - sumthin' like "convictions cause convicts"...
well, mmmmkay...
then there's bob dylan: "don't ask me nuthin' about nuthin', 'cause i just might tell you the truth"...
~
~
so, ya wanna go a few rounds? heh...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Finding Religion [Re: gnrm23]
    #2446522 - 03/18/04 08:58 AM (20 years, 14 days ago)

hehe yeah gnrm, I would like to explore a bit further afield as you so aptly put it. What do you have in mind?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2447054 - 03/18/04 12:24 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

I think religion is the biggest evil of this planet. I feel sorry for everyone who is controlled by it.  :shocked:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2447448 - 03/18/04 02:06 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

"Life is good. I am glad that we have this great planet, and I love the sun and the moon. Trees are fucking awesome. I love you guys, let's eat some mushrooms and talk about formless water telepathically while staring at the stars in a lush green field and be thankful for being alive and breathing."

Word. I'm down, where you at? :wink:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2447538 - 03/18/04 02:25 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

well, i dunno...
there's little snippets of books (a psychedelic chrestomathy) over at www.csp.org ...
of course, i am a sorta bookish kinda fellow...
& with the appropriate title (or even just author) my local public library can deliver a number of interesting titles (via clevenet; or if needed, i.l.l.s.) - but not everything, hehheh...
but the huston smith stuff (why religion is important; the primordial tradition; cleansing the doors of perception; & several others, including his classic _the religions of mankind_)is very much worth digging out; the mike young stuff, well, i've only read the articles; aldous huxley wrote a marvelous book _the perennial philosophy_ that will available from most libraries...
and there are many many other books on the interface between mind & spirit...
~
(install plug for ELCA here (lutheran))
~
at the edges of christianity (while shunning "fringy" stuff like LDS & pentecostalism (well, sorta cool with the "filled w/holy spirit" thingie)& christian science :wink: ) is unitarian/universalist --- nice folks, with an open-enough attitiude towards spirituality that some UU congregations sponsor CUUPS groups (neo-pagans!)

edgeville jesus folks - gnostics, essenes, swedenborgians, quakers (heh)...

sufism is the mystical branch of islam, & many sufi groups do not require conversion to islam  (heck, a jewish fellow was running a sufi group at CWRU several years ago) & are often quite open to other tradtions...

buddhism - well, the one big relgion that states that any premise is subject to experimental/experiential verification... (&: the teachings are like a raft, & when you get to the other shore, you leave the raft behind & walk on...)
taoism
hinduism (more of a family of loosely related religions, eh?)
wicca
norse traditions (astera?)
druidism
subgenii
bahai
subud
santiera/voudoun
udv/santodaime
holy order of mans

& many many others...
some perhaps more appealing than others, eh?
~
~
i dunno, you could poke around some of the scripture sites, or spiritweb sites, or whatever...

lotta working links (& some deaders...) over at www.thefane.org (a 4th way mystery school in BC w/shrooms as a declared sacrament --- gotta love them canadian folks, eh?)
~
~
more anon, 'kay?

(editing = cleanup text & minor interpolations...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (03/19/04 06:15 AM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Finding Religion [Re: ]
    #2447818 - 03/18/04 03:34 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

I'm with you Pathetic  :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinekangoo
ONEVIBE

#2448227 - 03/18/04 04:49 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

"Life is good. I am glad that we have this great planet, and I love the sun and the moon. Trees are fucking awesome. I love you guys, let's eat some mushrooms and talk about formless water telepathically while staring at the stars in a lush green field and be thankful for being alive and breathing"

Damn Right!

I don't even have to eat mushrooms to love life intensly, life is a great trip!
And the greatest gift you will ever get!

On my last trip I just apreciated the Human experience, every physical thing, yawning, Breathing, smiling, thinking hehe even farting was kinda nice  :crazy:
Everything was just sooo beautiful! And it still is...maybe even more so!

The Trees, I love em...listen to "the Trees  by Pulp", lovely song!

The world is packed with wonders! Go enjoy!
I guess what i believe/feel/think just can't be put fairly into words...my mind just runs wild!

--------------------
Divine moments of truth occurs when watching
lucy in the sky with diamonds!

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Finding Religion [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2448340 - 03/18/04 05:25 PM (20 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
"Life is good. I am glad that we have this great planet, and I love the sun and the moon. Trees are fucking awesome. I love you guys, let's eat some mushrooms and talk about formless water telepathically while staring at the stars in a lush green field and be thankful for being alive and breathing."

Word. I'm down, where you at? :wink:

im with you! :heart:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract