Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract, Microscope, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejohney89
Stranger
 User Gallery

First bulk Semi Grow log. Advice?
    #24438320 - 06/27/17 02:50 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

First pins I believe I spotted Saturday morning, it has grown to this size now.

It seems to me that it's kinda slow growing, I thought they actual mushrooms put on weight a lot faster?

6/24::: pic update

tons more pins, i hope they all grow well holy fuck i didnt expect this grow to produce that many shrooms for my first time, i have only ever done pf tek one time this is fkin amazing lol.

Pic update

it seems like the shroosm that were there havent grown just a few more small ones have caught up to the canopy. Last saturday is when i spotted first pins so i am 8 days into this...Is it normal for them to remain so small for so long?

Pic update:

Other side:

Man i am so happy they are starting to bulk up more! Surely they will be ready to harvest by this weekend! I wonder how much dry weight im going to get!?

******Moved from mushroom cultivation**********
I moved the thread here to try to get more responses.

When it is time to harvest is it advised to harvest them as they become ready or more less all at once?

Moisture- after i mist normally there is minimal pooling on my substrate surface, is this bad? Should i mist less?

I havent experience any hiccups on this grow but i did have 2 monos going but one is currently growing some very weird green mold all over, i am watching it just for observation. The stench coming from it when i opened the lid for the first time it kinda hurt to smell it and my nose felt weird all night after.... definetly knew it was going to contaminate.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRapjack
Oat Soakin' Toker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: First bulk Semi Grow log. Advice? [Re: johney89]
    #24438424 - 06/27/17 05:22 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice pinset! Looks like the beginning of a great flush.
Standing water on your substrate is a no-no, definitely mist less / fan more.
Toss the other mono! Harvest anything worth salvaging because they're fine to eat. If you see green (trich probably) the mold has already matured and has started to sporulate. Next time if you catch it early you can treat it with salt.

--------------------

OfflineUsernameser
Re: First bulk Semi Grow log. Advice? [Re: Rapjack]
    #24438697 - 06/27/17 10:43 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Salt, no. You throw it tf out and clean your whole room.

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

Re: First bulk Semi Grow log. Advice? [Re: Usernameser]
    #24438755 - 06/27/17 11:12 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome pinset, throw the moldy one away or bury it in your backyard. Every second it stays in your house its throwing spores everywhere and making future grows harder

Did you use agar?

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

Edited by The Mycologist (06/27/17 11:13 AM)

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First bulk Semi Grow log. Advice? [Re: The Mycologist]
    #24438923 - 06/27/17 12:23 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
you can't cut or salt or bleach trich away it's a parasite of other molds. Cutting it out spreads microscopic fragments of trich mycelium around which skip the germination process. As well as sending spores all over too.
Trich has chitinase meaning it breaks down chitin. Which is what fungi is made of. It's a fungi eating fungi.

Offlinejohney89
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First bulk Semi Grow log. Advice? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24439084 - 06/27/17 01:27 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

No I inoculated those jars from this mono with a syringe.  I want to do gar though to keep my b+strain going.

As far as saying salting trich is a noobs game, what do you mean by that? Like if it breaks out on my current grow salt it?

Currently I haven't removed the lid of that monitor and the holes have stayed stiffed with tighter poly.  But I will remove it I don't want any future problems.

Bod, what is your take on grow bags? Are they better to use than jars in your opinion? Why/why not.  Thank you guys so much for the responses.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24439107 - 06/27/17 01:33 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I mean salting is something noobs try that you shouldn't try.

Dont do bags until you do success regularly

Offlinejohney89
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24439152 - 06/27/17 01:58 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Well right now I only have a 33%sucess rate, lol.  Two of my rounds of jars have contaminated. The first set was a syringe from spore101 only one jar actually grew ANY mycelium. The other jars all got the dusty green mold where the spore solution touched... Not sure what that's all about because the jar that DID grow healthy was the 6th jar I inoculated out of 8. Second syringe I got was from the Hawks eye, which is my current grow. Nice dark syringe compared to the clear one from the other guys.

The second set that failed I did grain to grain from my one jar I got from my first syringe... But unfortunately I wasted my jars and lids and didn't let my filter disc dry before I pc/inoculated, so my filter was damp, I'm pretty sure that's what got those jars contaminated.  I still have a spoonfuls or 2 left in the jar I poured grains from and there still isn't contact in that jar...

Anyway, with bags, it's just more of a risk to lose more materials is the reason for your statement, correct?

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24439167 - 06/27/17 02:05 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Bags need to be inoculated with clean agar or clean spawn(g2g)

Spores to grains is risk spores to bags is huge risk.

Spores101 is garbage too

InvisibleJewishLawyer
Gypsy Witch
I'm a teapot

Loc: Iraniganistan
    #24439214 - 06/27/17 02:21 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

that's a beautiful looking tub but definitely invest in agar, it's A LOT easier than most people think and it will dramatically increase your rate of success. However, this makes me wonder, how much spore solution did you inject in each jar? was it a drop or two or a few ml or what

Also, I wouldn't worry about misting too much. since you have such a nice pinset those babies need thorough misting, depending on how deep your substrate is. it's really just something you need to get used to but as long as there's no pools of standing water long term you're fine.

Never salt trich either. I usually just dunk it in bleach water to render the mold/spores inert and then trash it. once it's green it's not worth the trouble trying to save it.

--------------------
Niffla said:

my dog ate some of my peyote, unlocked the secrets of the universe and now has tenure at Yale

Offlinejohney89
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First bulk Semi Grow log. Advice? [Re: JewishLawyer]
    #24439296 - 06/27/17 02:49 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Will one of you guys link me to the preferred method for agar? I hear so many people talking about outdated teks and such just want to make sure I'm studying the right information

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24439306 - 06/27/17 02:51 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Link in my signature

InvisibleJewishLawyer
Gypsy Witch
I'm a teapot

#24439367 - 06/27/17 03:07 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Check out Pastywhyte's easy agar tek (in bodhis signature), I find the easiest recipe for agar is M93 Agar:
500ml Water
20g agar
30g Light Malt Extract

you can find it all online or at asian markets/brewing stores

I personally like using real petri dishes in conjunction with pasty plates. I put spores onto pasty plates then transfer to more PP's until I get a clean culture and then I take a little slice out and put it onto a real petri dish (PP's are reusable a few times so I don't end up wasting disposable petri dishes while cleaning up the culture, real plates (I use 100mm) also have more room for expansion and the edges aren't as high so I find it easier to maintain sterility)

--------------------
Niffla said:

my dog ate some of my peyote, unlocked the secrets of the universe and now has tenure at Yale

Offlinejohney89
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24440628 - 06/27/17 10:19 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

These veils are torn, does that mean they need to be pulled or should i just wait it out?? I feel like they tore early, any thoughts?

Do you think the small ones will just abort or are they just slow bloomers? Sorry for the noob questions,lol, thanks in advance

InvisibleJewishLawyer
Gypsy Witch
I'm a teapot

#24440696 - 06/27/17 10:40 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

dont pull them. I personally like to wait until they're completely 180 degrees open (flat) but even if you dont they're still too early to pick

I really doubt they'll abort though

--------------------
Niffla said:

Offlinejohney89
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24442518 - 06/28/17 06:13 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Okay now i have to ask again, should i harvest the open ones or just keep waiting? at what point do they start rotting?

Also what is the cause for the fuzzy stipes?

The small ones... are they all still good to just leave and wait to mature?

InvisibleJewishLawyer
Gypsy Witch
I'm a teapot

#24447192 - 06/30/17 03:59 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

you see that one in the back left with black on the cap? that's ready to be picked, however, I would wait until the cap is completely flat (personal preference)

the fuzzy stipe is normal though, your base looks normal meaning it's getting enough FAE

--------------------
Niffla said:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract, Microscope, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started