Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Tell me about British Government...
    #2442909 - 03/17/04 10:45 AM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Someone from over there explain to me how your government works? I'm curious since I see that Spain voted out their Prime Minister and I'm wondering if Tony Blair might face the same fate, but I'm confused.

Do you hold elections for Prime Minister on a set schedule? Every so many years, or whatnot? Or does the current PM just serve until you guys decide he's not wanted anymore? Is that what they call a no-confidence vote? Do you have direct elections, or is like the US where the people vote, but what they vote for is only a reccomendation?

What are your main parties? I know all about Labor, since thats the one in power. But what do they really stand for?

Alot of questions...If anyone has an FAQ or some nonsense, point me towards it....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Tell me about British Government... [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2443159 - 03/17/04 12:00 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Try this rather excellent writeup from Everything2:

British Parliamentary System

The big 3 British parties are The Labour Party, The Conservative Party, and The Liberal Democrats. For a comprehensive list of British political parties (ones in bold are significant in some way) try this:

British Political Parties

edit: oh, and we use the First past the post electoral system.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Edited by Edame (03/17/04 12:12 PM)

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Tell me about British Government... [Re: Edame]
    #2443397 - 03/17/04 01:00 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Hey, I appreciate it. Absolutely perfect...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Tell me about British Government... [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2443498 - 03/17/04 01:23 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

I should say thanks to you too, I didn't know half of the stuff in that writeup, it was an interesting read.  :wink:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2443623 - 03/17/04 01:52 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Edame writes:

I didn't know half of the stuff in that writeup, it was an interesting read.

Most victims of American government schools don't know half the stuff about how their system of government was designed either.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Tell me about British Government... [Re: Phred]
    #2443827 - 03/17/04 02:45 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Most victims of American government schools don't know half the stuff about how their system of government was designed either.

I prefer the term survivor myself.  :lol:

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2443922 - 03/17/04 03:31 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Good one!

pinky

--------------------

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: Tell me about British Government... [Re: Phred]
    #2443962 - 03/17/04 03:48 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

haha, but to actually there is just basically 2 political parties. The liberal democrats never ever get a look in, which sucks because they dont have their heads up their own arses(although in fairness they want to raise taxes :S)

I'm of the opinion that so called "democracy" is bullshit, yeah sure we vote for who we want but once they are in power they do what the fuck they want, even if they are told that their citizens object. A perfect example would be the recent Iraq war, it was ridiculously clear that the majority of Britons did not want the war, yeah what a bloody great democracy both we and America live in.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom