Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKnees Down
Stranger
New to bulk. Need advice.
    #24433666 - 06/25/17 08:11 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hey all. First post here. Please note that I don't really understand a lot of the technical terms and lingo for this stuff, so bear with me. So I've grown from cakes before, but I only ever pulled 4-6 grams max per jar. I've never done bulk, but from what I understand it's a matter creating a nutritious substrate from things like vermiculite and horse manure, and then adding colonized material on top, basically forming a large cake that feeds off the nutrients in the base. Is this at least the general idea? For what I'm doing I thought I'd use a base of horse manure, vermiculite and coco coir. All in equal parts. I've also heard of adding gypsum, but I don't know if it's necessary. Advice on the substrate is greatly appreciated. Anyway, I read in a couple places that one quart of spawn per inch of substrate is optimal. I'm using a 116 quart tub in this case, so I'm thinking around 6 inches of substrate and 6 quarts of spawn. Is this overkill? My overall question is one of yield. (Yes, I know there's no exact formula and there's too many variables to say for certain, please don't burn me at the stake) my overall goal is to get a pound dry weight from the tub in 2 or 3 flushes. Is this a reasonable expectation? I only ask because I've seen people on the forum who've said you get things ranging from >5 oz to 2 pounds, and I'd like clarification.
Any advice is appreciated, but again, please don't burn me at the stake. ~knees Down

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCrispykoot
Jello Wrangler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: Knees Down]
    #24433671 - 06/25/17 08:21 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man...Try a simple substrate like Coir,verm and gypsum. Follow a TEK.

Use a mono tub that is sized like the ones in the TEKs too. Start simply. Get the process down, and then you can do your own thing.

--------------------

:gd_icon: Shadowboxing the apocalypse and wandering the land :gd_icon:

OfflineKnees Down
Stranger
Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: Crispykoot]
    #24433705 - 06/25/17 09:01 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I get where you're coming from with using a previously established tek, I just figured that I could essentially use a bigger container and scale up any tek accordingly. To my mind, bigger container=more surface area. More surface area=greater yield. Is this not the case?

Offline7munkee
Berilion
Male User Gallery

Loc: North east US Flag
Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: Knees Down]
    #24433811 - 06/25/17 10:31 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

It is indeed.  Pastywhite spawned an entire bathtub.  As long as your substrate is big enough to hold enough water for the shroomies.  Thickness should be between 4 to 6 inches minimum.

Offlineblueconfusion
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: 7munkee]
    #24433828 - 06/25/17 10:40 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Use your 116qt tub for a SAB and follow a tek.  Skip the horse manure and just do coir and verm.  You want bigger yields use agar to clean up cultures.

--------------------

OfflineCapnZ
Dimensional explorer
Male

Loc: In the Mystic
    #24433830 - 06/25/17 10:41 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

When scaling up remember to keep your spawn ratio scaled up also. I agree with the above use a simple sub like CVG. Simple is good, no need to over complicate.

If it's your 1st tub I would recommend something like. 32 quart. Watch the grow, observe and learn from how they grow. I like micro pore tape for the tub holes but poly fill is fine also.

--------------------
Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before...

Invisiblehamloaf
7, 8, 11, 13!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 42. Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: blueconfusion]
    #24433838 - 06/25/17 10:46 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

7munkee said:
It is indeed.  Pastywhite spawned an entire bathtub.  As long as your substrate is big enough to hold enough water for the shroomies.  Thickness should be between 4 to 6 inches minimum.

That's a little thick for a cube substrate.  Anything over 4 inches deep increases the chance of your substrate going anaerobic during colonization.

Quote:

blueconfusion said:
Use your 116qt tub for a SAB and follow a tek.  Skip the horse manure and just do coir and verm.  You want bigger yields use agar to clean up cultures.

Isolating and cloning is what gets you bigger yields, but you will need agar to isolate, and/or clean clones up if they are dirty.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

OfflineCapnZ
Dimensional explorer
Male

Loc: In the Mystic
    #24433847 - 06/25/17 10:48 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

7munkee said:

:shrug:

Yeah that's too thick for a tub. 3.5" works great. 4" max.

--------------------
Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before...

Offlineblueconfusion
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: CapnZ]
    #24433859 - 06/25/17 10:54 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Or just clean up your cultures...3 transfers in from MS. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineBird_Guts
Ser Peniswrinkle
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Cold 9 months out of the ... Flag
Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: CapnZ] * 1
    #24433861 - 06/25/17 10:54 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Horse poo is great stuff, if you think you can pasturize correctly then I say use the poo

That's a big tub, you will probably have issues with fae and rh , use a 66qt

If you use Hpoo then throw some gypsum in there

You don't put the spawn on top of the substrate, you either layer it or mix it all evenly, I prefer to layer

--BG--

Offlineblueconfusion
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: Bird_Guts]
    #24433879 - 06/25/17 11:03 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Don't use horse manure, do some research.  I've never seen any added benefit from it on cubes.  Keep it simple your first couple times, follow a tek.  You don't need gypsum or any additives, learn to walk with cubes, get that down and move on to a harder species if want the challenge.

--------------------

OfflineKnees Down
Stranger
Re: New to bulk. Need advice. [Re: blueconfusion]
    #24435283 - 06/25/17 10:05 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, so far I'm gathering that:

1( horse poo is generally no bueno unless you can pasteurize it properly

2( I can use agar to isolate, and therefore get greater yields. I have no idea how that works but I'm sure I can figure it out with some research and give it a go.

3( 6 inches of sub is too much(I'm assuming because there's too much risk of harmful bacteria forming and ruining the grow?)

Therefore, I'll stick with a coir verm and gypsum  sub, and I'll look into using agar and cloning(does cloning work kind of the same as with tomato plants and the like??)

As for the size of the tub, from what I've gathered if you've got a humidity and temp controlled room with air circulation(such as a couple fans blowing away from the tub) and you construct the tub correctly, you can kind of just set and forget, as long as you check for contamination once in awhile. Is this at least somewhat true? Because if so I suppose I could just have a couple 66 qt tubs if 116 is too large. Also, to my question of yield. Is a pound unreasonable assuming all goes well, or should I expect severely less?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation