Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Straw attempt ..
    #2442422 - 03/17/04 09:51 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Awhile ago my buddy, while having great success with grains, and spawning compost, decided to try straw since its so readily available around here.

He followed the tek to a T, he used wheat straw that was chopped appropriately, fired up the turkey frier and started the pasturization process, a few times though the water temp got quit hot, up to aroun 190 or so and he cooled it back down by adjusting the burner, trying to keep it at 170 deg. for 1 hour 15 minutes. He cant remember exactly but it may have even gotten a bit hotter than 190, but not more than 200 guarenteed.

Anyway, spawning was completed, and it colonized perfect, looked GREAT, it was cased as always with a 70/30 coir/verm mixture and then allowed to colonize the casing layer, patched, and placed into the fruiting chamber.

The problem is, the casings never fruited!! Well, they did kind of, each casing produced 1 or 2 shrooms that where very weak looking, slim and deformed. It acted like there wasnt any nutrients in there to fruit from or something.

Anyone know what happened?? Did the heat get to high during pasturization??

It was straight straw spawned with Rye and WBS. The casing was in the same fruiting chamber as the one pictured, all factors where equal, same air exchange, same strain, same casing material same everything.

Anyone with straw experience have ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Straw attempt .. [Re: OZZ]
    #2442586 - 03/17/04 10:43 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i dunno as im fixing to atempt my first straw grow, but let me ask you this if i were to use a container the same size as you have in that pitcure, how many pf cakes should i mix with the substrate? i know grains are the way to go but funds are tight now for pressure cooker and new jars and whatnot.wish i could've been more help, peace :thumbup: :gd_icon:

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Offlinexwave3000
enthusiast

#2443088 - 03/17/04 01:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I had that problem too. I blamed the problem on not packing down the straw when i spawned. Anyone know if that's an important factor?

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: Straw attempt .. [Re: xwave3000]
    #2443176 - 03/17/04 02:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Unfortunately, that isnt the problem either, as the straw colonized perfectly, if the straw wasnt packed down enough, there would be colonization problems and/ or contams.

As far as the container size goes, I would shoot for at least 5 to 6 PF jars, the tub is a 15 QT tub.

OfflineMax1
MaxiMillion

#2443386 - 03/17/04 02:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I do straw exclusively and always have good luck with it. I use pf cakes to spawn my straw and so far have never had a contam problem.
Packing the straw down does help with the colonization but ive packed it very tight to just pushing it down with my hands then cover and both work well. How long did you let it fruit for before you called it a no go? Mosy fruit in 6 days or so after placing in the chamber but some have taken up to 14 days. There is plenty of nutrients in straw to grow mushies so id think its more than likely you just had a slow or no fruiting batch...ive been told it happens.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation