Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleaudiosnipez
Sir BIgglesworth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: West
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Arzeo]
    #25392592 - 08/16/18 02:41 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey bod I got another pic I want your opinion on if you have the time. I used  your bucket tek and oats tek to Spawn this monotub. I just put it into fruiting today after keeping lid on in a dark place for 10 days to colonize and it looks like this.

I don’t see primordia or pins so I could have gone a few more days on colonization correct? What about the grayish color. Does that or anything else you see concern you? What do you see man?  Again it’s my first time working with a tub so anytime I can consult the oracle I am going to try yah Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Bro Coat. Jk..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGinge
Sponge Brain
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Proton_California]
    #25392928 - 08/16/18 05:11 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Proton_California said:
Your first try got mold due to tub size?  Or the ratio was off...?

Either way, why would those two factors affect mold risk %?

Mold should only grow on the surface, therefore more surface area is a higher contamination risk. 

Spawn ratio is directly related to time until full colonization.  The risk of contamination is greatly reduced after full colonization, faster colonization with a greater ratio reduces the time contaminants have to germinate and grow.

I think both spawn ratio and surface areas can be contributing factors.  I asked the mold why it was there, but it didn't answer, so I can only theorize.  If one of my theory are incorrect please correct me, I both want to know correct information and only share correct information with our community.

--------------------
Ginge

OfflinePoakess
Stranger
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Ginge]
    #25392941 - 08/16/18 05:18 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

So I’ve been letting my mini tub colonize for awhile now and I was wondering when will I begin to see pins?

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Poakess]
    #25393054 - 08/16/18 06:11 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Arzeo said:
I'm looking to buy a spore print but cannot use the marketplace, do you know anyone who would sell me one instead of using sponsors?

Whats the difference who you buy it from. No one is going to sell a print and selling them isn't allowed only trading them for non cash items. You don't have marketplace access so don't go fishing for spores in non marketplace sections. That entirely defeats the purpose of the marketplace forum and the access restrictions. People will be far more likely to trade if you can show a grow first.

Quote:

audiosnipez said:
Hey bod I got another pic I want your opinion on if you have the time. I used  your bucket tek and oats tek to Spawn this monotub. I just put it into fruiting today after keeping lid on in a dark place for 10 days to colonize and it looks like this.

I don’t see primordia or pins so I could have gone a few more days on colonization correct? What about the grayish color. Does that or anything else you see concern you? What do you see man?  Again it’s my first time working with a tub so anytime I can consult the oracle I am going to try yah Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Bro Coat. Jk..

It should never be in a dark place. And i do fruiting conditions immediately and skip colonization conditions entirely. So any time you put into fruiting is fine

Looks fine for now

Quote:

Poakess said:
So I’ve been letting my mini tub colonize for awhile now and I was wondering when will I begin to see pins?

Im not downloading a .mov file sorry

Offlinesupasebie
Stranger
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25395503 - 08/18/18 12:38 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Dear master bod,

This will be my first time grow. I'm okay with some failure along the way. I expect as much. To me it makes the most sense that I purchase all the equipment I will use for the duration instead of going from a pftek to a mono.

I'm combining the following teks that you have laid out in front of me.

I purchased the same presto PC along with the Ball 1 quart wide mouth jars, the oats are available from a equine supply.
Oat Prep Tek

I got the tubs and coir ready to go. It seems like the light is optional if you have a well lit environment. I see everyone post pictures of their setup using these tubs with no lights, they just have them stacked in a well windowed room.
Unmodified Monotub TEK

The only part that I'm missing is how to inoculate the jars. I see you have some modified jars but I can't find any tek info on how you did the mods or the process of inoculation. What would be the best way to go if I'm going to buy a spore syringe from an online vendor? Will the traditional syringe micropore tape + holes in the jar lid work here?

OfflineGinge
Sponge Brain
Male User Gallery

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: supasebie]
    #25395733 - 08/18/18 06:21 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

supasebie said:

The only part that I'm missing is how to inoculate the jars. I see you have some modified jars but I can't find any tek info on how you did the mods or the process of inoculation. What would be the best way to go if I'm going to buy a spore syringe from an online vendor? Will the traditional syringe micropore tape + holes in the jar lid work here?

As a new grower that went far enough to buy a PC I would strongly recommend you check out agar.  Start here and then go here for Bod's agar tek or here for Pasty's.  Both are awesome.  Used Bod's last night and will be noc'ing up some of Pasty's plates this morning.  Starting MS syringes on agar will help you learn far more about growing mushrooms. 

I used Pasty's tek to get two varieties started.  Every time I transferred the myc off of a clean plate, I used that remaining plates viable myc to noc up grain, getting my operation going quickly.  A clean agar plate can colonize a jar MUCH faster than an MS syringe.  So even though it might feel like you lose time, A) learning more patience is key in mycology and B) it's more like you pay time on the front end to reduce it in the middle colonization of grain phase.

If you do not like that answer, prefer to start with your jars and MS inoculate them, or do not want to spend more money getting started....than you can inject your jars like you mention.  I have found the TNF forum very helpful, it includes a link to a lid tek that will help you get started on your lids.

Cheers and best of luck!

--------------------
Ginge

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Ginge]
    #25395853 - 08/18/18 08:22 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I inoculate jars with an agar wedge or G2G.
Basically you take the lid off and put the stuff in

The spore syringe goes to agar. Or directly to grain(risky)
You can put an injection port in your lids or just squirt them in under the lid.

Offlinesupasebie
Stranger
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25397173 - 08/18/18 07:53 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you,

Based on your recommendations I'm going full agar. I understand that agar wedges inoculate the jars however, I'm a bit spotty on the jar Tek. I've seen various polyfill mods and I'm not sure how that works with pressure cooking. I see foils and various tapes on top of the jars.

There's no link between the pressure cooking / oats guide and the jar Tek guide, if that makes any sense. The guides don't cover the additional steps to pressure cook with modded jars. right now I'm under the impression that I do not have to modify my jar lids and I can just introduced a colonized wedge of agar into a fully prepped one quart jar. I browsed the threads a bit and I saw some people doing this without jar mods. I assume there's some advantages to having a polyfill mod on top of your jar lid when colonizing which is why you go that route.

could you explain how to pressure cook with a polyfill mod, also what happens to the polyfill during pressure cooking? I would assume that it becomes soggy and unusable during the process. Should I mod after my first grow or start that process now?

Thanks a ton, your guides and wisdom have been a major asset during this process. Respect.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: supasebie]
    #25397188 - 08/18/18 07:57 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

You put the jars in the cooker thats all you do.
You can use any lid setup you want to use.
Nothing happens to the poly during sterilization.

OfflineWindsmith
Stranger
Re: [STICKY] ⚠ Where to Start Flow Chart, QnA, and helpful links ⚠ [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25397834 - 08/19/18 07:06 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I hope that I am not breaking forum rules or protocol here by asking this question. I am getting ready to give agar a shot. My question is what do you look for in the mycelium or fruit itself to use, and how do you know what to isolate? I hope that makes sense. If not I will take the verbal beating and continue my search in other forums. Thank you

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: [STICKY] ⚠ Where to Start Flow Chart, QnA, and helpful links ⚠ [Re: Windsmith]
    #25397941 - 08/19/18 08:26 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

On agar the way the mycelium appears is absolutely meaningless

Something that looks all rhizo and nice like this might perform like absolute shit

Something all tomentose and fuzzy might be the best culture youve ever grown

Once you grow out your cultures you see the performance then you keep good cultures around and dump shit ones.

Who's giving you a hard time for questions? :itstopshere:

OfflineGinge
Sponge Brain
Male User Gallery

First fruits [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25398757 - 08/19/18 02:53 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Happy to have had to harvest a few early as our first pinset comes in. 

--------------------
Ginge

Offlinesupasebie
Stranger
    #25399805 - 08/20/18 01:21 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
You put the jars in the cooker thats all you do.
You can use any lid setup you want to use.
Nothing happens to the poly during sterilization.

Hey bod two quick questions. Can I inoculate jars without any modification to the lids? What's the advantage to modifying the lids?

OfflineProton_California
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: audiosnipez]
    #25400513 - 08/20/18 11:12 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

audiosnipez said:

Audio -

I see the holes and filler in your tub ... do you open the top or put the lid ontop of the handles for a little more air movement? 

Can you (or anyone here) explain to me what you mean exactly when you differentiate between "colonizing" and "fruiting" ?  Do you mean you took your jar of span and placed it on/in the substrate, the spawn then colonized the substrate, and at that time you tweaked something to "trigger" fruiting?

OfflineBrain Bulb
Insane in the Membrane
 User Gallery

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Proton_California]
    #25406935 - 08/23/18 08:28 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Bod,

Was wondering if it matters what size petri dishes to get when working with agar agar or does it matter?

Thanks,

BB

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Brain Bulb]
    #25406940 - 08/23/18 08:28 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I like 100mm wide some people manage to enjoy the 60mm ones

OfflineBrain Bulb
Insane in the Membrane
 User Gallery

#25407479 - 08/23/18 12:55 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I like 100mm wide some people manage to enjoy the 60mm ones

Ok cool.  Found a pack of 20 sterile 100mm dishes for less than $10

--------------------

OfflineMoonmartian
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Brain Bulb]
    #25407572 - 08/23/18 01:46 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey bod I followed your coir tek. Used a 7  gallon cooler. Poured in boiling hot water 3.25L with one 650g brick. My question is my coir after a full day doesn't look any darker...maybe a little but not much. Is this okay or should I try it again? Thanks

Offlinespace_shrooms

Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: Moonmartian]
    #25409161 - 08/24/18 04:30 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hey bod, have you grown pans?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where to Start Flow Chart and helpful links also ask your questions here Q&A [Re: space_shrooms]
    #25409179 - 08/24/18 04:58 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Nope.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale