Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Banisteriopsis Caapi, Fresh Lard, Portable Greenhouse, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShunyata
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: costa rica
Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds?
    #24417934 - 06/19/17 04:19 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

There's a lot of ants here and they seem to like my chacruna. Last year they ate damn near the whole thing. I've tried some cinnamon though I'm not sure how well that worked cause there wasn't much left for em to eat anyway so they left.

This year they haven't eaten much. Just a few bites here and there but they were all over it for several weeks at least. They weren't doing much. Kinda just guarding it, it seemed like.

There are now these shell looking things all over it. They have been on there for weeks. The ants are gone for now but could it be possible they left those things there? WTF?! The plant itself seems to be doing fine. Lots of new leaves anyway.

Would using hot pepper powder hurt the plant? Doubt plants have nociceptors but better safe than...any other ideas for getting rid of ants?

Okay just one more haha. There's quite a few of those fruits so I was wondering how one would go about preserving the seeds.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShunyata
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds? [Re: Shunyata]
    #24443981 - 06/29/17 09:37 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

It's apparently a scale infestation and ants do seem to farm them for food.

Offlinekizatzhaddarak
Fairy Tail
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds? [Re: Shunyata]
    #24444044 - 06/29/17 10:24 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

scale is Horrible! :brushrage:

I have had scale before. It is usually due to having my plants outdoors, or from ordering new plants that have been shipped. Its horrible. Once you thought you have eliminated it. . it comes back.

Im' not sure just HOW bad your infestation is beyond the images provided, but. . yeah you got scale.

Part of the problem is that Chacruna plants have Nectaries (glandular nodes) on leaves and or stems depending on variety, that attract ants who then being in Scale and or aphids to farm honeydew, which they then harvest.

In the past, I have tried various things to get rid of them. The first thing I would do is get a small pen knife and remove as many visable as possible.

Second, check the stem/trunk below the soil line.. Some scales can get in roots and trunk below the soil line, which makes it even harder to get rid of them,

Third.. Plan on some kind of pesticide or alternative, like neem oil.

I sometimes employ a tea made with (HOT) chili peppers, black pepper, garlic. and Nicotinia. (Nicotinia rustica, works well). add the ingredients to boiling water, steep to a STRONG tea.  and filter.  add to a spray bottle with a single drop of dish soap in the bottle as my homeade pepper-mace. and reapply every day or 2.

Some varieties of scale are really hard to get rid of and might require more drastic pesticides and such. I would suggest doing an internet search or 2 about citrus scale and how to combat it, to learn more about how you will decide to attack them.

You need Guildmaster Makarov to lay down some Fairy Law Magic and Kill them. . Kill them ALL!

Best of luck.
Miss-K

--------------------
The Sleeper Must Awaken!  (I do not advocate the ingestion of any substance without extensive research, and or the advice of trained medical and or spiritual personelle)

Offlinepinedownpioneer
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX
Re: Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds? [Re: kizatzhaddarak]
    #24447914 - 06/30/17 08:56 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Scale is the devil.  The above information is what you want to do.
Kill them with a small knife, spear, blunt object.  Then spray the battle field with your choice of chemical warfare, organic or synthetic.  To strong a concentration of chemical will burn the plant, so don't go overboard...years ago I had the 'same' bugs you do on a plant about the same plague level as you..a heavy application of malathion kill them all and most of the plant as well...
I have juice sucking bugs on my caapi, I got rid of them but they came back with a thirst once I stopped applying neem for 2 months.  Best to keep on it.

--------------------
Trade list

InvisibleDualWieldRake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8b
Re: Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds? [Re: pinedownpioneer]
    #24448820 - 07/01/17 05:08 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Lol no, don't use malathion.
Theres a lot more effective ways to keep bugs from harming your plant that aren't toxic to everyone involved including said plant

Offlinepinedownpioneer
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX
Re: Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds? [Re: DualWieldRake] * 1
    #24449210 - 07/01/17 11:06 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

I should have been more clear I had used malathion on a non ethnobotanical plant...many many years ago. But yeah don't use malathion on anything you want to touch or digest.  I honestly think it's terribe for everything it seems to kill everything good and bad and has a stinky stink that smells stinky.

--------------------
Trade list

Offlinekizatzhaddarak
Fairy Tail
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds? [Re: pinedownpioneer] * 1
    #24449230 - 07/01/17 11:21 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Pyrethrum IMO., is a bit safer for humans and pets. I don't like harsh pesticides.

You can actually grow your own Pyrethrum. It is a Chrysanthemum. I have a couple small seedlings right now of it in my greenhouse but hope to have more of them growing soon.

--------------------
The Sleeper Must Awaken!  (I do not advocate the ingestion of any substance without extensive research, and or the advice of trained medical and or spiritual personelle)

OfflineShunyata
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Bugs on my chacruna! / how to dry seeds? [Re: kizatzhaddarak] * 1
    #24471872 - 07/10/17 08:48 AM (1 month, 12 days ago)

I took a vow to not ever kill so as much as I don't want them on there I'm not going to kill them but a friend told me I can put some lard on the stem (with tape on it) and it should keep more bugs from crawling on.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Banisteriopsis Caapi, Fresh Lard, Portable Greenhouse, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden