Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast US Flag
Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: knomadic_niki]
    #24407040 - 06/15/17 05:14 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Ozone will really screw with your lungs... I play around with a Tesla coil on occasion and usually have to stop after a time even with ventilation because it gets hard to breath and I get wheezy, no bueno :noway2: one of the reasons I am not doing anything else with it until I can move it outside.

I have a UVC light in my flowhood as well that produces a small amount of ozone, but it is negligible and is more a byproduct of the light functioning.

Ozone can be pretty bad and its not something I would make a habit of working in close contact with for long periods of time, though it can be an effective sanitation tool when used in a careful manner. There shouldn't be any selection with molds vs mushroom mycelium, ozone is pretty indiscriminate.

--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinespace_eyes
Stranger

Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: Mrcloudy]
    #24411399 - 06/16/17 09:37 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I've had my hand with ozone for a bit.  Powerful stuff.
Best used with an oxygen generator for best results, "filtered" air recommended to lower maintenance of plates.
Application was part of water sterilization process.  If I recall 1.0 to 1.2 ppm was sufficient for a 24 destabilization period.  Of course it breaks down in open air a bit faster but still not fast enough.  It was easy to leak check the system because it would eat away my rubber gloves instantly over a suspect location.
I do recall there is safety limits in a safety code book.
It's based off a concentration over a work period to that sort.

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
    #24560211 - 08/17/17 11:20 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

I was going to post and ask about using UV... (well I doubt people have gamma radiation lol!), can you elaborate a bit on it's use? The costs for equipment, efficacy, for what purposes (only as an addition?). Am curious :smile: thanx

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: Solipsis]
    #24560461 - 08/17/17 01:16 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

The UV is used to sanitize surfaces in the flowhood, as an adjunct to spraying down with alcohol. An extra precaution. It is of no use while the flowhood is actually running, because the air is moving too much for it to really have any effect. It takes a few minutes. It is best to run it without the hood running because the moving air also cools the bulb causing it to lose efficiency...so all these air purifiers with UV lights? Just a gimmick.

I also intend at some point to through some seeds in there to see if I can effect some sort of mutations and see what grows out.

Very dangerous... without proper precaution it can cause sunburn or eye problems, not something I would recommend for someone to do unless they take the time to research it. That being said it was very inexpensive to add to my flowhood. I did it for under $20 and it seems to be holding up well.

--------------------

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Offlinespace_eyes
Stranger

#24583868 - 08/27/17 07:09 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Imo if only stops reproduction.

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: drake89]
    #24700133 - 10/10/17 05:39 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

ok safety police, activated carbon masks, here is cheap kind: just duct tape onto face :strokebeard3: lol.

..i plan to ozone glovebox.. i saw a thread where someone sterilized their entire house with ozone.
..i need to sterilize my house too, as their is new wood on the walls that has visible black mold! :O

Anyways, i have one of those musical-mini-tesla-coil-kits from china, can i just set that in the box?
Wouldn't that make enough ozone? i haven't assembled it yet, waiting on a soldering iron to arrive..

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN get back to the garden

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: ellomello]
    #24700296 - 10/10/17 06:38 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Tesla coils, even the small ones give off stupid amounts of ozone. Though your little Chinese one will be solid state, you will want something in there for the output to arc to, as the arc is where the ozone will be produced.

--------------------

AMU

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

#24700538 - 10/10/17 07:53 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

That's good news! thanks for good advice.. i was thinking they arced into the air :crazy:
so i should add a small grounded wire next to it to catch the arc and make ozone?

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN get back to the garden

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

#24700601 - 10/10/17 08:08 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Depending on the size they can and do arc to the air, but giving it something to arc to controls the situation a little better.

--------------------

AMU

InvisibleliloldmeFacebook
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
    #24703758 - 10/11/17 11:56 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I've made a couple Ozone generators.

Get a neon light transformer, a glass jar, and some metal window screen.
Cut the screen into two pieces, you want to wrap one on the inside, and the other to the outside of the jar using the glass as an insulator. Now attach the two leads from the transformer to the two screens you have secured to the jar and plug it in.
:datass:

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: liloldme]
    #24703793 - 10/12/17 12:40 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

A higher frequency source like a Tesla coil will produce much more ozone, however the neon sign transformer method would probably be more hardy and able to run longer. However the outside screen would be charged to something like 3 to 5 kv and would give you a bit of a jolt if you accidentally brushed it. Not lethal, but it will wake you up in a hurry! I am no stranger to neon sign transformers.  :wizard: 

As always I recommend caution with ozone as it is very harmful to biological cells. If you feel wheezy or have a pain in your chest turn it off and get to fresh air. It's not very fun and may lead to permanent damage.

--------------------

AMU

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

#24704339 - 10/12/17 09:26 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Also interesting is that small amounts of nitric acid are made..
..this wasn't the video i had in mind but it's similar experiment,

... edited to avoid repost...
i just had an idea, if i used the mini tesla coil in the glovebox, and wearing thick rubber gloves,
theoretically i could plasma clean the scalpel or needle by arcing it to tesla coil for a few secs.

Edited by ellomello (10/12/17 04:41 PM)

OfflineDrayce
Spidget Finner
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaia
    #24725936 - 10/20/17 09:56 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

This is great!  I searched 'ozone sterilization' and ozone this and ozone that- and did not find this thread 'til 2day.

I use a chinese 'breathe fresh' combo air filtration/ozone/charcoal/bio UV fan-in-a-box for my 'grow room'.
Also have made some small tesla-like coils using a modified slayer exciter circuit.  "Real" tesla coils use spark gaps and capacitor banks for oscillation... but whatever, the little do-it-yourself coils are not going to produce enough ozone to harm you unless you're using a straw to breathe the tiny plasma arc-air into the lungs IME...

I believe that my success has been dependent on using the ozone box to clean up the air in my room before I go exposing stuff to contaminants.  I have no idea how many ppm's it emits, but it is enough that I can smell it strongly (see & hear it being made too) & I do know that O3 dissipates rapidly. I haven't had any problems with the lungs or deteriorating plastics yet, even with familial genes predisposed to emphysema. 
I use it for ~ an hour or so, turn it off when I'm in the 12'x12' space.

I'm thinking aloud about using it deliberately for de-camin' the SAB, instead of just general area.  Like:  leaving it on, or devising a strategy where an ozone generating device is used just before I use the box, along with regular precautions.

There seems to be discord about how dangerous, damaging, destructive, and all the other bad D's about it.

I'll keep posted on my anecdotal and empirical evidence.
Getting too sciencey throws me down that rabbit-hole and nothing ever gets done, except learning lots of new big words nobody uses and lots of wasted time.

Questions like:  does it work?  Yes is a good answer
Is it bad?  Uh, maybe...
When it smells fresh after a good storm w/lightning.  Lots of O3 in the air- same principal.

Do I want read 23 1/2 semi-related Scientific Papers to learn more- No.

If anyone else is having success w/ozone, keep posting please.

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: Drayce]
    #24728355 - 10/21/17 11:23 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Pofessionals use peroxyacetic acid or chlorine dioxide gas to fog grow rooms, lab equipment.  They are used in food, beverage, and medical industries commonly because they are relatively strong enough to kill germs but degrade into relatively harmless compounds pretty quickly.  So fog the lab or grow room and a few hours later it's safe to enter.  I personally just use bleach but I don't have horrendous contamination problems (knock on wood).

But if you like faffing around with ozone, go for it :smile:

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

OfflineDrayce
Spidget Finner
 User Gallery

Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: drake89]
    #24729146 - 10/22/17 10:47 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I'm no PO-fessional for sure.
I'm just trying to use what is available to me right now, an I already have all kinds of electronic gadgets that produce oxone either as a purpose or by-product.

I will look into what the pro's do for more ideas that may make it easier for me to be a generally sloppy still  (No special area to use), but grow mushrooms w/out contams on my subs.

Thanks for the input.

The cubies aren't really a problem because they are so aggressive and easy to grow.  It's some of the other species I've tried that I had problems with.  Granted, it was only two, it was the first time, and I didn't have some of the hardware I have now.

edit:  Oh- we have the same name, kind of...:laugh:

Edited by Drayce (10/22/17 10:49 AM)

InvisibleLizardWizard
GnomeGrower
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the parking lot
Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: knomadic_niki] * 1
    #24753581 - 11/02/17 03:47 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

knomadic_niki said:
I have used them before to sterilize grow warehouses. You just put it on a timer and make sure the building is sealed and vacant, with a timer to turn on the ventilation system and remove the ozone.

I don't know if it's been said here, but turning on the ventilation system to remove the ozone is not at all necessary. Instead of removing the ozone, a better approach would be to wait for 30 minutes after shutting off the ozone generator. After about 20 minutes, all the leftover ozone should have reverted in oxygen, so after half an hour it should definitely be all gone. There won't be too much oxygen in there either because the amount of oxygen in there can not surpass the amount of oxygen that was in there before.

This is all just theoretical, but I see no holes in it (with my limited knowledge on the matter, to be fair)

--------------------
The best things in life
can be smelled on one's fingers.

OfflineDrayce
Spidget Finner
 User Gallery

Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: LizardWizard]
    #24754383 - 11/02/17 12:01 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Right.  The 'scientific papers' or whatever state that the atomic O2 that is generated by the high voltage immediately 'binds' to O2 to create O3- ozone.  the 'extra' molecule is very unstable and rapidly latches on to whatever it comes in contact with- of the opposite polarity.

I'm not sure, but my intuition, and electronics schooling (which I found was profoundly lacking BTW)- makes me think that if a AC source, say 60hz @ 1000-20,000 VAC would create both + and - molecules, that would attach itself to 'everything' in its path 'oxidizing' itself in the process, and 'sanitizing' as it does.
Edit:  And dissipates just as rapidly...

It gets all complicated and the papers tried certain bacteria, with certain level, diffused O3 in water, Used pure )2 to amplify O3 output, etc., ect,.. and blah, blah.  I like this quote from a manufacturer:  "Ozone is the second most powerful sterilant in the world"!!

Ozone most definitely kills molds and bacteria.  But also degrades other 'good' stuff too, including human tissues- so, the controvery continues.

The same 'brand' of scientists that proposed that 'vaping is worse than cigarettes' are most likely behind the whole anti-ozone 'findings'.

Edited by Drayce (11/02/17 12:02 PM)

InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #24754576 - 11/02/17 01:36 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

O3 is always negative.  I use it a lot in a mini flowhood jury-rigged from a hepa, deionizer,ozone unit

OfflineDrayce
Spidget Finner
 User Gallery

Re: Ozone Sanitation [Re: Snazz]
    #24754647 - 11/02/17 01:59 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Snazz said:
O3 is always negative.  I use it a lot in a mini flowhood jury-rigged from a hepa, deionizer,ozone unit

Yeah- that's what the 'science' says... But how do we know for sure?
I'm skeptical because I am an EE- and lots of things I learned are just 'theory' of what is generally known to be true.

Like, I was reading Theory and calculation of transient electric phenomena and oscillations / by Charles Proteus Steinmetz.
and his stuff was eons ahead of what was being taught in the 1990's, and he wrote it ~1909.

I'm not saying that O3 is NOT always neg.  I'm sayin' stuff happens that most engineers never considered before.

InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #24754686 - 11/02/17 02:20 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

The adding and stripping of electrons relative to each plate's charge would lead to cations and anions. But that is what forces the production of the 3 atom variant of oxygen.  Diatomic with no charge is it's resting state.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract