Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is?
    #24408394 - 06/15/17 05:01 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Elon Musk has revealed his vision for what a SpaceX city on Mars would look like, saying he wants people to believe setting up a colony on the Red Planet will be possible within our lifetimes.

The founder of SpaceX (Space Exploration Technologies Corporation) has discussed the possibility of creating a human settlement on Mars for several years. The company is currently planning to send a robotic mission to Mars by 2024, and says that manned missions could begin as early as 2024—long before NASA’s projected timescale of the early 2030s.
“By talking about the SpaceX Mars architecture, I want to make Mars seem possible—make it seem as though it is something that we can do in our lifetime,” he writes. “There really is a way that anyone could go if they wanted to.”

He said there are two fundamental paths for mankind—that we stay on Earth forever, eventually succumbing to an extinction event, or to become a “space bearing-civilization and a multi-planetary species.”

The latter options, Musk says, is the “right way to go,” adding that in our solar system, Mars is really the only option: “We could conceivably go to our moon, and I actually have nothing against going to the moon, but I think it is challenging to become multi-planetary on the moon because it is much smaller than a planet. It does not have any atmosphere. It is not as resource-rich as Mars. It has got a 28-day day, whereas the Mars day is 24.5 hours. In general, Mars is far better-suited ultimately to scale up to be a self-sustaining civilization.”In the commentary, Musk discusses what life on Mars would be like: “Mars is about half as far [again] from the sun as Earth is, so it still has decent sunlight. It is a little cold, but we can warm it up. It has a very helpful atmosphere, which, being primarily CO2 with some nitrogen and argon and a few other trace elements, means that we can grow plants on Mars just by compressing the atmosphere.

“It would be quite fun to be on Mars because you would have gravity that is about 37 percent of that of Earth, so you would be able to lift heavy things and bound around. Furthermore, the day is remarkably close to that of Earth. We just need to change the populations because currently we have seven billion people on Earth and none on Mars.”

Outlining how SpaceX will go about setting up a city on Mars, Musk said there will be many obstacles to overcome. Firstly, the cost. He said the price of a trip to Mars must come down so anyone who wants to go (if they save up) will be able to. “You cannot create a self-sustaining civilization if the ticket price is $10 billion per person,” he said.

All materials sent up to the planet will need to be reusable. There would need to be a refueling station orbiting the planet so we can make more frequent, cheaper trips. On top of this, we will need to produce a propellant on the surface that would allow spaceships to make return trips: “It would be pretty absurd to try to build a city on Mars if your spaceships just stayed on Mars and did not go back to Earth. You would have a massive graveyard of ships; you have to do something with them.”

On the ships that would transport people to Mars, he said the first Mars Colonial fleet would “depart en masse,” carrying with them the required cargo and the first settlers. “[The ship] needs to fit 100 people or thereabouts in the pressurized section, carry the luggage and all of the unpressurized cargo to build propellant plants, and to build everything from iron foundries to pizza joints to you name it—we need to carry a lot of cargo.”

Musk believes the threshold for a self-sustaining city on Mars would be a million people. Current calculations indicate that it would take between 40 to 100 years “to achieve a fully self-sustaining civilization on Mars.”

While Musk does not explain how the city would be built or what it would look like, he does share his view on where a permanent city on Mars could take us next—pretty much anywhere in the solar system.

With the right technology, he believes a base on Mars would open the door to even greater space exploration. “By establishing a propellant depot, say on Enceladus or Europa, and then establishing another one on Titan, Saturn's moon, and then perhaps another one further out on Pluto or elsewhere in the solar system, this system really gives you the freedom to go anywhere you want in the greater solar system,” Musk said.

I feel like this is the real kind of improvement we need.

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe_way
political prisoner
 User Gallery

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #24408429 - 06/15/17 05:24 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

maybe some people came to the conclusion they cant be on the same planet as some 1. but I like this planet so I got to trick them all on some gold rush. I need a colony that can float in space for when man destroys earth

--------------------
They were dead before the ship sank!

OfflineAnt89
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: the_way]
    #24408460 - 06/15/17 05:38 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

TLDR...

Fuck all that, all I'm interested in is Nature and getting as far away from this futuristic,  electronic society as possible

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2:
:whathesaid:

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: Seriously_trippin] * 2
    #24408464 - 06/15/17 05:39 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Where do you think humanity's next home is?

Earth

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #24408479 - 06/15/17 05:47 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Every year there's talk about Mars and the date always gets pushed back. Maybe it is ultimately a goal but it's just talk to stay relevant and get donations/funding. If I put a 10k bet on them not going to Mars by 2024 then I'd be making good money.

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: larry.fisherman] * 2
    #24408491 - 06/15/17 05:51 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

My understanding is that Mars would have pretty hard conditions to live there.  I like seeing this kind of progress of moving on planets and furthering space travel but I'm skeptical that even a small percentage of society will be moving to a different planet anytime soon.

InvisibleDr.Satan
Mad Professor
I'm a teapot

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: demiu5]
    #24408504 - 06/15/17 05:56 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I don't really get the allure of living on Mars. It's kind of like wanting to trade a delicious steak for stale bread.

--------------------

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: Dr.Satan]
    #24408522 - 06/15/17 06:01 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I personally believe the ocean is 70% of the earth untapped real estate. If we had technologies to compensate for the pressure in extremely deep seas earth could indeed be out best bet to solving overpopulation.

Something mentioned in the article that's cool is on mars it is only 37% gravity meaning people could lift hundreds of pounds like it was Styrofoam.

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: Dr.Satan]
    #24408538 - 06/15/17 06:06 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I think we humans could have an interesting role, but not that we will be able to (fully) colonize in a while. A city on Mars is an achievement, but it's not a practical living space without heavy resource load, it's not a real living place, merely a trophy and a good exercise in otherwise theoretical applications.

We should be able to colonize habitable planets with (genetically modified/designed) fungal and bacterial spores if we can find the right planets. Once colonized, we could infect these planets using viral strains able to carry out DNA injections/gene transfer in the host cells in order to force evolution in a directed fashion. It would take a million years, but you could terraform a planet to be habitable by Earth by doing this slowly until there is a proper ecosystem capable of hosting multicellular life.

Not something I believe will happen necessarily. Such a large undertaking would be difficult to manage over a thousand generations. Cool to think that humans could potentially be the only creatures physically and mentally able to colonize our local cluster though. Who knows? We might be the first. Likewise, others could have used the same method here a couple billion years ago.

Communicating from one planet to another is a difficult task if your radio and light communications only go so far. Infection of genetic coding might be a more practical means of getting in touch with another planet, if not colonizing it yourself.

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: PatrickKn]
    #24408757 - 06/15/17 07:34 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

elon musk is a whore

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

Loc: Upstate
Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: Ant89]
    #24408778 - 06/15/17 07:44 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ant89 said:
TLDR...

Fuck all that, all I'm interested in is Nature and getting as far away from this futuristic,  electronic society as possible

This.

Technology is not under our control and it never has been. Its a separate non-conscious entity that propogates through us and only grows stronger and more refined at the cost of everything that is or once was human.

Most days I think life in the late 1800s was far more intimate. Less resource strain, honest straightforward work, limited corruption and means for surveillance, limited record keeping and means for liability etc.

We are regressing while technology progresses

--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: ModestMouse]
    #24408828 - 06/15/17 08:06 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Many people who I consider to have a keen eye for bullshit have committed suicide in this world of 90s-20XXs.

No it isnt dystopia, nothing is ever dystopic because you can only compare life within the frame of reference of the highs and the lows. I do think that if you were able to "objectively" view the state of humanity in 2017 vs two centuries prior youd see that overpopulation and technological growth to the point of suffocation of freedoms that we currently cope with are far less preferable to earlier more archaic but free times.

Il not be taking such an extreme route (self-ending). Id rather be a sideline critic. Too cowardly for that nonsense anyway unless shit really went south.

Well that was a massive derail.
I like E.M. but Mars isnt going to help us. We have more technology and computing power than ever and we are still whistling in the dark.

Grasping for straws and goals without full understanding of why these goals must be achieved at all. Why do we have to increase the lifespan of humans?
Why should we infect another planet with our illness of unsettled progression for the sake of progression and needless reproduction?

:twocents:

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: ModestMouse]
    #24408840 - 06/15/17 08:10 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ModestMouse said:
Many people who I consider to have a keen eye for bullshit have committed suicide in-around this world of 2017.

No it isnt dystopia, nothing is ever dystopic because you can only compare life within the frame of reference of the highs and the lows. I do think that if you were able to "objectively" view the state of humanity in 2017 vs two centuries prior youd see that overpopulation and technological growth to the point of suffocation of freedoms that we currently cope with are far less preferable to earlier more archaic but free times.

Il not be taking such an extreme route (self-ending). Id rather be a sideline critic. Too cowardly for that nonsense anyway unless shit really went south.

I like E.M. but Mars isnt going to help us. We have more technology and computing power than ever and we are still whistling in the dark.

suicide is viable

don't knock it till you've tried it

--------------------

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: demiu5]
    #24408845 - 06/15/17 08:12 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

This isnt the first time ive seen you openly advocate suicide as if youre sitting there holding the trigger.

Youre not coming off as edgy and instead childish. You dont seem to grasp the repercussions of your statements.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

#24408894 - 06/15/17 08:26 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ModestMouse said:
This isnt the first time ive seen you openly advocate suicide as if youre sitting there holding the trigger.

Youre not coming off as edgy and instead childish. You dont seem to grasp the repercussions of your statements.

i'm not trying to be edgy

all people die.  if someone is suffering physically or emotionally, and can't find relief, why are you opposed to them taking a taboo measure to find it?

edit:  and ideally, yes, i will take my own life.  now is not the right time, though.  until that time, i'll be here, pissing you off, and helping the people that need my help

Edited by demiu5 (06/15/17 08:29 PM)

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

#24408911 - 06/15/17 08:33 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Pissing me off?
Hardly, but certainly losing my interest. Im neither strongly for or against the act in general but personally dont find my life awful enough to consider ending it.

I just think the general state of our world is growing increasingly cold.

Doesnt mean there is no light to be found it just means you have to be more creative to find it

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

#24408920 - 06/15/17 08:38 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ModestMouse said:
I just think the general state of our world is growing increasingly cold.

i concur

--------------------

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#24408970 - 06/15/17 08:57 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

It would quickly turn into an inter-galactic jihad if we found intelligent life anywhere, thats how its always worked out here

Aliens dont have feelings, they make good slaves

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

#24408978 - 06/15/17 09:01 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Any of yall ever read this book?

https://www.geenstijl.nl/archives/images/suicide_note.pdf

Background story is pretty interesting as well. I read through it in 2015 - 2016, great book. Tad long winded, but it gets pretty deep into topics that have always interested me and frames it through the theme of suicide. The author committed suicide shortly after releasing the book online. I've no taboo against taking life into your hands. I'm not personally depressed myself.

The idea that I'm philosophically okay with suicide despite being a happy and relatively positive person is oddly empowering.

Quote:

ModestMouse said:
Many people who I consider to have a keen eye for bullshit have committed suicide in this world of 90s-20XXs.

Grasping for straws and goals without full understanding of why these goals must be achieved at all. Why do we have to increase the lifespan of humans?
Why should we infect another planet with our illness of unsettled progression for the sake of progression and needless reproduction?

:twocents:

Keen eye for bullshit indeed. But a keen eye picks out that which it focuses on more than anything else. If all you see is bullshit, well... there is good shit in the world that you may miss out on.

But on your next points, I'll disagree. 2 centuries ago was not subjectively better for the vast majority of people. Most of the people that might post on a forum like this are more likely to have been lower class 200 years ago. The freedoms we have today are arguably far broader for everyone. We are more able to express ourselves in nearly every frame of view, I would argue that we are much freer.

Not just that, but this is quite literally - from a statistical viewpoint - the safest and most peaceful period in all of human history that we can tell. The number of people who die at other people's hands has decreased dramatically than at any other point in recorded or even known archaeological history. There are very few societies - civil or tribal - that have ever been safer from murder, rape or warfare. Not the Native Americans, not the Europeans, not the Indians, not the Egyptians. That alone might not be a good reason for some that today is better though, as some might argue that socially accepted violence is a type of freedom.

Overpopulation is indeed an issue depending on your frame of reference. But birth rates are declining fast in places where life is good. The archaic times weren't necessarily more free at all from most metrics. The early 1800s weren't either.

Back to your latter points though, grasping at straws isn't really appropriate as a term to myself unless you are of the opinion that we should go to Mars to save ourselves (as many do). I think a better outlook is that we should go to Mars because we can. We should colonize planets if we can. Because it's cool, some people have all the time in the world to devote to it and we have a giant sandbox to play with in a Universe that appears to be mostly empty.

Edited by PatrickKn (06/15/17 09:02 PM)

Offlinesunshine
Sin18DwireWuTang

Loc: higher plane of sex
Re: Elon Musk Reveals plans for city on mars! Where do u think humanity's next home is? [Re: PatrickKn]
    #24409196 - 06/15/17 11:27 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I already have ten heroin slamming colonies on the moon.

--------------------
One Love True Indeed.  Have Good Trips.  Mike/sunshine's mom.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order