Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRonnySimulacrum
Mr

Loc: Australia
Re: Favorite Movies [Re: obtuse]
    #24404196 - 06/14/17 04:50 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Hahah, Yes, Classic, totally disturbing.

Talking of Australian films that are disturbing, have you see;

'Wake In Fright' - 1971

?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineobtuse
myco0
I'm a teapot

Loc: tasmania Flag
Re: Favorite Movies [Re: obtuse] * 1
    #24404199 - 06/14/17 04:54 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

For australian films, how about "Romper Stomper" and kind of the other end of the scale "Danny deck chair"

Offlineobtuse
myco0
I'm a teapot

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: RonnySimulacrum]
    #24404202 - 06/14/17 04:58 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RonnySimulacrum said:

'Wake In Fright' - 1971

?

I think i saw it tripping one night on the cult films section of Saturday night SBS.  the guy with the big glasses.  after all the trippy animations.

OfflineRonnySimulacrum
Mr

#24404216 - 06/14/17 05:14 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Na, never seen "Danny deck chair", I better follow that up, but  "Romper Stomper" a killer:thumbup:

Only in Australia ;-)
1. 'Body Melt' - 1993
2. 'Welcome to Woop Woop' - 1997
3. 'Metal Skin' - 1994

Offlineobtuse
myco0
I'm a teapot

#24404232 - 06/14/17 05:31 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

omg yes, metal skin lol

i had totally forgotten.

someone should do an Australian 90's underground cult film festival

OfflineRonnySimulacrum
Mr

#24404245 - 06/14/17 05:41 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

obtuse said:
omg yes, metal skin lol

i had totally forgotten.

someone should do an Australian 90's underground cult film festival

Yes agree, right up there would be the amazing - 'Love Serenade' - 1996

Offlineobtuse
myco0
I'm a teapot

#24404339 - 06/14/17 06:46 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

i dont know it,

but Miranda Otto.  is now on my watch list lol

OfflineRonnySimulacrum
Mr

#24404384 - 06/14/17 07:09 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

The sex scene in this film brings new meaning to the word awkward!

Offlineclock_of_omens
razzle them dazzle them
I'm a teapot

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: RonnySimulacrum]
    #24404496 - 06/14/17 07:52 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Muriel's Wedding is hilarious. Werner Herzog's Where the Green Ants Dream is based in Australia.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Favorite Movies [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #24404983 - 06/14/17 11:13 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
I'm inclined to agree with you. I love Full Metal Jacket, but I have always been bothered by the second half for several reasons. One, the first half (with Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio) is so fucking good that the second half seems to fall a little flat in comparison. Two, Kubrick shot the movie in England, and it shows. It really does not look like tropical Indochina. He shipped in a lot of palm trees from Spain, but that doesn't really cut it for me. Three, my Dad is a Vietnam vet. He served in the 101st Airborne Division at Foo Bai and was in the Jag corps at Nha Trang, Da Nang, and Saigon. He doesn't like Full Metal Jacket. He says that, first of all, it doesn't look realistic. That is not what it looked and felt like. Also, FMJ depicts a city battle -- in Hue -- and the Vietnam war was anything but a city war. It was a brutal jungle war.

His favorite Vietnam movie, he says by far, is Apocalypse Now. He says it's realistic, and the surreality of it is very close to the mark. He said the bridge scene at night, towards the end, is a mirror image of situations like that that he saw in country. I am not a veteran, but I happen to agree that AN is the best Vietnam movie, and one of the best war movies ever made.

But FMJ, as you say, is a Kubrick film, and I do like it a lot. I think things would be very different if he shot it on location, in the Philippines or something. He should not have let his fear of flying or being far from home affect the quality of his filmmaking. Not that that would have addressed all of my points. Philosophically and thematically, it's a great movie. But it is deeply flawed.

Hue certainly didn't look like a jungle during the battle portrayed in the film.

and the base (before the first attack on Tet) looks realistic too.

i think the underpinnings in the second act reflect well on the first. everyone is still friendly with eachother, because they know eachother from boot camp, but at the same time, everyone is different- death is expected, and everyone wants to look away (lest it's a gook they are looking at [staring death in the face], or unless it's Animal Mother, whom is unable to hide his humanity and wears it on his sleeve-- why he's so insulting to everyone)

i think, and i'm just trying to be honest here...that you guys have a problem with the pacing more than anything...plot goes from comedic underpinnings, to a major malfunction, but then to a more subdued plot about a singular event, and the tiny moments surrounding it (the media, prostitution, travelling en route to objectives); by the time you hit the action at Hue, it seems too slow and plodding, mayhaps- because it's dealing with the theme of war in a way that isn't as theatric as most war movies- the kills are all accrued by either trap, or the sniper, and zero enemies are killed in any really dramatic fashion (once through the gate at the base, and once as they cross an alley in Hue, that is, before the cameramen are taking that long tracking shot, and they all make quips at them, before long being interviewed, and they all have some very human things to say); that is to say, it's all very shallow (the guy even laughs after the second aforementioned row of kills)...point being, i think the point is that it's NOT taken very seriously, in the sense of what humanity is truly there; that is, until they get lost, and get commanded into what is inevitably the death of most of the squads members. by the time the sniper is saying "shoot", you've seen the triviality of war, in the most human sense...no feelings...just triviality.

i think that was the point.

Quote:

RonnySimulacrum said:
Shit, also

'Picnic at Hanging Rock' -1975

:thumbup:

Edited by akira_akuma (06/14/17 11:24 AM)

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: akira_akuma]
    #24405107 - 06/14/17 12:13 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

No, I didn't say Hue looked like a jungle in real life, I intended to say that the scenes outside of the city in the movie didn't look like Indochina. All the palm trees Kubrick trucked in really didn't fix the problem. The more important point is that, in the words of my dad, the Vietnam War was not a city war, so a movie about a battle in Hue does not reflect the overall tone of the larger conflict. He did two tours in Vietnam, and said he thought FMJ had nowhere near the realism of AN. My dad actually spent a couple of months in Hue with the Jag Corps, well after Tet, and said the city didn't look like it does in the movie. I still love FMJ, which is why it's such a problem for me that it is so flawed in the eyes of an actual veteran. Without his input I would really have no qualms. But the input of a veteran about a movie based on the war he fought in should be valued, imo. I can't un-hear what he said to me.

Edit: And yeah, as far as the first and second half, thing. I appreciate your points and sympathize with most of them, however I think it is a question of intensity. Many people do make this argument because the emotional intensity of the first section seems to be stronger than that of the rest of the movie, perhaps with the exception of some of the combat. I'm not sure I'm fully with those who are critical, but I can easily see their point. I do enjoy the in-country scenes very much, though. But the level of emotional tension in the boot camp scenes is so high that I do think a legitimate argument can be made that it was almost too good for the film's own good. Somehow. It's still, after all is said and done, one of my favorite war movies.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Favorite Movies [Re: DividedQuantum] * 1
    #24405247 - 06/14/17 01:00 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

i can agree with that...mostly. but i still don't think the film was trying to reflect the overall war, just a small part of it. that's where i think the critique falters a bit...why does the movie have to portray "the overall tone of the war", as if it needs to cover the war from the ground up-- can't it just portray the tone as "regular joes go from bootcamp to in-country and then to a minute portion of the war"; i mean, the lead is from a journalists perspective...not a combat solider. maybe the tone is smaller in scale, purposefully, to denote a message less about a commentary on the war itself, and more about how these regular people were taken out of their regular lives (remember the intro sequence in the barber shop) to fight in a terrible war? then the tone can be less concerned with "war and the conflict in Vietnam" as an overall piece of History, and more concerned with the smaller story therein, culminating to the single battle (the single set-piece) for the film?

sorry for pressing such a pointless issue, but i just think it's kind of misplaced to presume that the film had to treat the war as such a big set-piece for the film to work...to me, it's sort of like...well, maybe that's what Kubrick wanted to avoid? to avoid making the film about the war itself, per se, and to have it more about a story set within the war. sorta like saying "everyone makes war movies about the war itself, and it's dehumanizing effects; i wanna make a movie just detailing the dehumanization, while focusing as little on the aspects of war, as possible".

that's just my perspective on things. most of the critiques i see i think can be rightfully so levelled at the film, it's not perfect, certainly.

PS: i've only been able to narrow down three favorite films.

the first ever i've been able to pin down was...

Taxi Driver

so that officially is my favorite film ever of all time.

second comes

Barry Lyndon

seeing as though Kubrick is my favorite  director, and it is my favorite film of his.

thirdly comes the only other film i've been able to pin down as an absolute, above all else, favorite...and that is

The Exorcist

because of that film's greatness (although i watched Exorcist 3, and it's arguably better, in terms of artistic vision) AND the fact that i can consistently watch it anytime and have it be just as good as the last time (or better)...means it gets that coveted spot.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: akira_akuma] * 1
    #24405303 - 06/14/17 01:20 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Fair enough, good points.

Nice list. :thumbup:

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineRonnySimulacrum
Mr

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: clock_of_omens]
    #24406434 - 06/14/17 09:12 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

clock_of_omens said:
Muriel's Wedding is hilarious. Werner Herzog's Where the Green Ants Dream is based in Australia.

Yes, that one sure is hilarious ;-)

Invisiblequinn
some kinda love
 User Gallery

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: RonnySimulacrum] * 2
    #24414025 - 06/18/17 02:29 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

my fav movies r easier broken down by director i think

Coen Bros - i love Serious Man.. and Burn After Reading is great fun.. but pretty much all their stuff is fantastic. 

Charlie Kaufman - Eternal Sunshine, Being John Malkovic and Adaptation are great (jury is still out on Synecdoche :unsure:)

Terry Gilliam - Brasil and 12 Monkeys are 2 of my fav movies ever.. cant say i am mad abt what else ive seen tho

Jodorowsky - Holy Mountain, El Topo, Santa Sagre :thumbup::thumbup: Sanata Sangre has to be one of the best horror movies ive seen

speaking of great horror.. Babadook! :heart::heart: the Shining is also great..

Tropical Malady is an amazing thai movie with horror and magical realism elements which reminded me of Pan's Labrynth.. which reminds me

Pan's Labrynth!

also Oliver Oliver is a great magical realism type movie

uhmmmmm

all Tarrentino stuff is good fun.. i really liked Sin City which seems to be a similar vein..

most creative award goes to either Dark City or City of Lost Children :lol:

the Lobster gets the weirdest movie award

young me award goes to the Matrix

young young me award goes to Gremlins or the Mask..

nothing else is coming to mind but im sure ive missed some great ones.. this thread has inspired me to download some movies :smile2:

edit.. thinking of Gremlins and that i'd been to a puppet museum today reminded me of Jim Henson who's Dark Crystal must be a contender for most creative and just coolest movie, and Labrynth which is kinda the same but with David Bowie!!?

Edited by quinn (06/18/17 03:08 AM)

OfflineKalimano
Similiferencer
 User Gallery

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: quinn]
    #24414329 - 06/18/17 07:53 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Favorite movie by far is The Good, The Bad, The Weird.
The music, the sets, and even the gun fights/shooting are fantastic. Its probably still on netflix but get ready for subtitles cause its in korean

Second to that is Odd Thomas, although the chick in that movie is so devastatingly good looking and they way they wrote her character makes me straight fall in love so I need to not watch it in a shitty mood or Ill just feel like crap about myself for the rest of the day :rolleyes:

Dr. Strange was also surprisingly good for something made recently

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: Kalimano] * 4
    #24424498 - 06/21/17 05:20 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Im a huge movie fan and its literally  impossible to narrow it down so here are a bunch of the top of my head.      A simple plan, southern comfort, phenomena, repo man, the thing (82), they live, Martin (77), dark city, arrival, sorcerer, goodfellas, after hours, pulp fiction, raiders of the lost ark , Jurassic park , el topo, holy mountain, a field in England, kill list, heavy metal, rivers edge, terminator, blade runner, beetle juice, edward scissor hands, waking life, a scanner darkly , boyhood, Carrie, dreams, the wicker man, take shelter, Star Trek wrath of khan , Star Trek the undiscovered country, Star Trek a voyage home , contact, the life aquatic , Shaun of the dead , hot fuzz, the worlds end , don't look now, the babadook, the exorcist, dust devil, 2001 space odyssey , knightriders, the people under the stairs, the Texas chainsaw massacre, the changeling , altered states, nightwish, birdman, run Lola run, 12 monkeys, big fish , long weekend, John dies at the end, the Manchurian candidate, the godfather 1&2, heavenly creatures, frailty , in the mouth of madness , once upon a time in the west  Chinatown, delicatessen, the dark knight, one false move, Johnny mnemonic & etc.

--------------------

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the mind, there are no limits.- John C. Lilly

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: caman] * 1
    #24424729 - 06/21/17 06:46 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

A lot of very good ones in there. :thumbup:

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Invisiblelavod
Seal Whisperer
 User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Favorite Movies [Re: DividedQuantum] * 1
    #24425158 - 06/21/17 09:01 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Indeed, including Dust Devil!  Richard Stanley is awesome.  Altered States is much maligned and it could have been more polished for sure, but it is a cool little flick in its own right.  Nice list caman.

--------------------

OfflineSonicTitan
 User Gallery

Re: Favorite Movies [Re: lavod] * 1
    #24428406 - 06/23/17 06:16 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Re-animator
From Beyond
Lord Of The Rings trilogy
Clerks
The Toxic Avenger & Citizen Toxie
Night Of The Living Dead Dawn & Day
The Terminator & Judgement Day
Predator
Commando
The Running Man
Alien trilogy
Prometheus
American Psycho
Conan The Barbarian & Destroyer
Boogie Nights
Zombie Flesh Eaters (Lucio Fulci)
The Evil Dead & AOD
Braindead
Hellraiser  & Hellbound
The Beyond
Robocop
Home Alone 1 & 2
Escape From New York & LA
Die Hard 1 2 & 3
Jurassic Park
Cube
Snatch
Happy Gilmore
Cemetery Man
Creature From The Black Lagoon
The Blob
The Fly
Videodrome
Lawrence Of Arabia
White Zombie
I Eat Your Skin
Orgazmo
Cannibal The Musical
The Thing

I can keep going. Its so hard to pick because they all are all gems to me.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder