Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Parafilm, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTrumpocalypse2016
Stranger
Please look at my agar dish. Trying to get single spore mycelium
    #24402396 - 06/13/17 03:05 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

This is my second time growing. Last time, I used BRF and a spore syringe. This time, I wanted better results. I took a fairly large mushroom from my last growth and used sterile procedures to get strand from inside the stem to put on agar. I let it grow for a few days, then cut up the agar and put it into 6 rye grain jars.

It was my understanding that using fruit body would result in a single spore mycelium sample. However, it appears to me that the mycelium that grew may have had more than just one genetic code. Some of it is denser and there are a few lines that make me think there is more than the genetic code of one spore in there. Also, the mycelium is fuzzy and I understand it's less desirable than the thick white mycelium with the strands extending out.

This is a picture of the dish I used to inoculate my jars with. I would love to hear some input about how it looks. Sorry for the moisture and the picture quality, i didn't have permeable tape..

Edited by Trumpocalypse2016 (06/13/17 03:21 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please look at my agar dish. Trying to get single spore mycelium [Re: Trumpocalypse2016]
    #24402429 - 06/13/17 03:17 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

The term you're looking for is single sector isolate.
Taking a clone like you did doesn't guarantee a single sector isolate. You still need to transfer sectors to new plates a few times to achieve that.
What you have looks like a good start. Start making transfers from the different sectors.
You don't need parafilm for your plates, you can use cling wrap.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
Grain Strainer

OfflineTrumpocalypse2016
Stranger
Re: Please look at my agar dish. Trying to get single spore mycelium [Re: LotKid]
    #24402452 - 06/13/17 03:24 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you! It's too late to isolate sectors from this dish since I already used it for inoculation. I will take note and try again. In the mean time, do you think this procedure will produce better results than a syringe multi spore inoculation?

Also, what about the fact that the mycelium is cotton like? is that ok? These are thai cubensis.

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please look at my agar dish. Trying to get single spore mycelium [Re: Trumpocalypse2016]
    #24402486 - 06/13/17 03:38 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Getting a clean culture from agar will always produce better results than MS inoculation.
If you still have spore solution left then make a bunch of plates. Put a few drops of spore solution on one plate and wait for growth. Then use the other unused plates for transfers. If you end up with single sector isolates (if done right you'll have multiple) then you need to test fruit all of them because not all will produce fruits. It is preferable to isolate rhizomorphic mycelium over the "cottony" kind but, for now I think you'll be fine. Also the "strain" of cubensis doesn't matter. They're all the same with the possible exception of PE and maybe KSSS.

Edit: If you haven't seen this then I recommend that you watch it.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
Grain Strainer

InvisibleLemurLemur
Pray for Boog
 User Gallery

Loc: Drinking on the roof Flag
    #24402551 - 06/13/17 04:08 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Make sure to label an keep track of whats what.
Something i need to do*looks for the damn sharpie*

--------------------
(when my data is fast play Lemur in chess at chess.com)[ [gradient:#D40B29,#18C418]Any1 expecting a trade from me i havent forgot about you pinky promise, i fr promise shits just shit rt now[/gradient]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Parafilm, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation