Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Loc: Flag
my roommates scary theory
    #2439691 - 03/16/04 02:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

so i was talking to my roommate the other night, and he clued me in on something scary as shit...

ok -so 9/11 goes down, and what happens? people support bush and anti-terrorism. so then theres a train bombing in spain, and what do people do? immediately start supporting more anti-terrorist efforts.

what do those crazy fucks that are bombing us hate more than just gwb? they hate america. they also know that if gwb is re-elected, he'll do their job for them: run the usa into the ground (which he's already got a head-start on).

so whats the best way to get people to support bush and re-elect him? plan a big attack on u.s. soil right before the election.

shitty thing is, at least imo, this completely makes sense...which scares the fuck out of me.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: my roommates scary theory [Re: Vats of Blood]
    #2439710 - 03/16/04 02:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, the Spain attacks resulted in people immediately running out and pandering to the terrorists.

Spain: The other France.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: my roommates scary theory [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2439725 - 03/16/04 02:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It's convenient to call it "pandering to terrorists" -- and I suppose impossible for one to consider it "Rejecting the previous administrations policies on terrorism"

Plus (as have been continually, conveniently ignored) the attempt of the previous admin to pin it on Basque seperatists.

Well stated words:
http://www.garynolan.com/blog/2004_03_01_index.html#107945916739713380
Pundits here in America are busy condemning the people of Spain ? calling them cowards for yielding to terrorists by voting the incumbent government out of office.

Easy for them to say ? they weren?t the ones confronting this no-win scenario.

Vote for the incumbent government ? show the terrorists you won?t be intimidated ? and thereby reward the government for undermining your national security.

Or, reject the politicians who made your nation less safe ? and possibly embolden terrorists to commit additional terrorist acts.

Not an easy choice. But it seems to me that the best response is to vote for what you believe is right ? and then unite to bring the terrorists to justice.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Edited by valour (03/16/04 02:28 PM)

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: my roommates scary theory [Re: valour]
    #2439734 - 03/16/04 02:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How do you know it wasn't Basque seperatists?

--------------------
This space for rent

Anonymous

#2439791 - 03/16/04 02:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

what do those crazy fucks that are bombing us hate more than just gwb? they hate america. they also know that if gwb is re-elected, he'll do their job for them: run the usa into the ground (which he's already got a head-start on).

i think the belief that islamist terrorists would prefer that bush with the election is a wee bit misguided.

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

#2439797 - 03/16/04 02:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't "know" -
but the evidence seems to be weighing heavily in the direction of radical Islamic group(s):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/article/0,2763,1170380,00.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/article/0,2763,1169467,00.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/article/0,2763,1169070,00.html

Now, it's not been absolutely established that it is al-Qaida/is not ETA, but it sounds like either case would have worked against the PP, for better or worse.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/spain/article/0,2763,1170257,00.html
Most sources I've seen indicate a dissatisfaction with how the government handled it - from security to misinformation. I don't think it sounds quite so nefarious as some are trying to make it sound, but it's the right of the people to address their grievances via the ballot box. It's a strange sound to hear such squalling and finger pointing as a result of people enacting their own rights. (well, unless I hear yet another person meander on how GWB "stole" the 2000 elections)

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Re: my roommates scary theory [Re: ]
    #2439808 - 03/16/04 02:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No, I don't think it's a matter of GWB being elected or not which is prevalent -- most US Presidents would have done ~something~ (the distinctions between the parties in the US are miniscule when compared to other nations').

It's the atmosphere of suppression and control they wanted -- and they got it.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: my roommates scary theory [Re: valour]
    #2439827 - 03/16/04 02:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think terrorist groups feel about the same way that a lot of Americans feel...

six of one, half a dozen of the other.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

#2439850 - 03/16/04 02:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

And that's scary.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2439857 - 03/16/04 02:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, there's two ways of looking at it.

Maybe the people said "That's it. We need new leadership."

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2439886 - 03/16/04 02:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Re: my roommates scary theory [Re: ]
    #2440011 - 03/16/04 03:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

i think the belief that islamist terrorists would prefer that bush with the election is a wee bit misguided.

although i admit i dont know this as a fact, it doesnt seem too misguided to me. i mean it makes sense - they would love to see america crumble, which is what bush is doing a good job of working on.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2440022 - 03/16/04 03:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

As opposed to the recession Clinton left us with.

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2440095 - 03/16/04 03:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

IMNSHO..a more plausible theory is that al-Q is an emmanuel goldstein front..which is directly or indirectly under the control of the bush junta...OBL used to work for the CIA..and whose to say if he still doesnt??...it cannot be denied..however..that every attack since 9/11 has worked to the junta's advantage ..the "no-win scenario" for the spanish voters was an all-win scenario for the junta...but one aspect of your roomate's theory rings true ..the US runs a high risk of being destroyed so long as the junta gets its way...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2440103 - 03/16/04 03:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Vats of Blood said:
Quote:

mushmaster said:

although i admit i dont know this as a fact, it doesnt seem too misguided to me. i mean it makes sense - they would love to see america crumble, which is what bush is doing a good job of working on.

I don't think it's so much that they want to see America crumble. I think it's that they want us to stop military aid to Israel and pull out of Saudi Arabia, both reasonable demands if you ask me.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#2440158 - 03/16/04 04:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Actually, the Spain attacks resulted in people immediately running out and pandering to the terrorists.

Spain: The other France.

lol,true,they hate the west anyway so we should just mind our own business and let them build/make/whatever they like and then when they are strong enough to wipe us out,then we should act right?
tearing up the geneva convention is the way to go!

OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Re: my roommates scary theory [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2440279 - 03/16/04 05:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

what part of my post are you referring to?

--------------------

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

#2440320 - 03/16/04 05:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

http://www.spinsanity.org/post.html?2004_03_14_archive.html#107931523589108856
Bush ad latest attempt to backdate recession (3/14)
By Brendan Nyhan

A Bush-Cheney campaign advertisement released March 3 claims the economy was in recession in January 2001 - the latest in a long pattern of attempts by the administration to backdate the beginning of the recession to before the beginning of Bush's term in office.

The ad, which is titled "Safer, Stronger" (script, video), begins with a graphic stating "January 2001, The Challenge:" followed by "An economy in recession."

However, this claim is not generally accepted in the economic community. The National Bureau of Economic Research's Business Cycle Dating Committee - a standing body of top economists - is widely recognized as the quasi-official authority on the timing of recessions. (A July 2003 Associated Press story, for example, called it "[t]he committee that puts official dates on U.S. economic expansions and contractions"; see also this Explainer column from Slate on NBER's role.) Contrary to the ad's claim, the NBER committee pegged the downturn as beginning in March 2001. After it issued this decision in November 2001, the administration initially endorsed the committee's role: Bush called it "the official announcement ... that our economy has been in recession since March," Council of Economic Advisors chairman Glenn Hubbard said NBER "made its official declaration that the United States was in recession" (152K PDF) and the 2002 Economic Report of the President called NBER "the arbiter of U.S. business cycle dates" (though it disputed the March 2001 date) [3.1 MB PDF].

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2440414 - 03/16/04 05:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Vats of Blood said:
ok -so 9/11 goes down, and what happens? people support bush and anti-terrorism. so then theres a train bombing in spain, and what do people do? immediately start supporting more anti-terrorist efforts.

Actually, the people did what the terrorists wanted them to and displayed cowardism in the face of Muslim extremism. Seems like it worked to me.
Quote:

I don't think that these people care who wins an election in America, really. And how did BUSH get a head-start on running America into the ground, when the shit hit the fan after 9/11?
Quote:

so whats the best way to get people to support bush and re-elect him? plan a big attack on u.s. soil right before the election.

So you think that Bush wil do this, or al-qeada? Since the terror attacks overseas took place during the Clinton presidency, and a more cowardly, spinless president could not exist, what do you have to offer for that? Are you actually even making a point or an assertion?

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #2440485 - 03/16/04 06:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Its a good theory. But with Bush already reminding people of his "stable leadership" through "times of change" I think an attack on America right before the election would go along way to showing everyone that beefed up security, aka George W. Bush, can't stop terrorists, and hopefully they'll rethink most of their entire policy.

High hopes surely, but if Bush wants to win reelection on a plateform of "I'm a great president, you're safe because of me, get rid of me and the terrorists will eat your babies" then an attack right before the election is bad news.

But an elaborate "bust" would quench the publics thirst for progress and legitimate value, and likely ensure that a terrorized publics vote is a vote for a safe Amerika.

(the missile that hit the pentagon, anyone?)

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]