Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKosmick
FeelsGoodMan

Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes
    #24397097 - 06/11/17 03:17 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I've worn the "search" feature out looking for information on how to have success with PE on brf cakes, and the consensus is that this variety does way better on bulk, and even more so with an isolate.  TC's have said that, while they *can* work, the big challenge is keeping this very thirsty strain properly hydrated.

I decided to give PE cakes a try.  I don't have a need for a ton of fruits, so I have been using this improvised mini-sgfc.  It's built completely to standard, other than a shallower amount of perlite than the recommended amount.  It has worked beautifully for standard cubes, holding 4 or 5 cakes that flush a couple of times and are then replaced by other colonized jars waiting on deck.

Even though I didn't have high hopes for the cakes, I figured I would get *something*.  So far, total yield from 5 cakes has been about a gram and a half, most of that being blobs, the rest being tiny fruits and aborts.  I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to remedy this.

Whats even more frustrating is the fact that my oldest cake is pinning like crazy, but the pins remain extremely small.  some of the pins in these pics have been visible for 5-7 days and just refuse to grow, and some even appear to have aborted.

Did I lose the genetic lottery, or is there anything I can do to get things moving?  I'll go over the list of usual problems/FAQ's:

-Been in FC for 2-3 weeks.
-Dunked, rolled, and verm piles placed on top for extra hydration at birth.  Verm piles appear to be colonized (or could it be contam?)
-Misting and fanning as recommended in standard pf-tek.
-Cake with all the pins feels heavy to the touch, does not seem dehydrated.
-ambient natural sunlight from window close to sgfc.
-two to three inches of perlite in sgfc, well-hydrated, holes don't seem to be clogged, and chamber is elevated using jars.

Wondering if it is time to give up on these?  I have some standard cubes that have been consolidating for a week on deck that will need to be dealt with soon, but was really hoping to experience the power of PE. :mushroom2:

Thanks in advance, guys.

-Kosmick

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: Kosmick]
    #24397295 - 06/11/17 04:16 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I really don't see anything wrong. The only things you can really do to improve is just get finer grade vermiculite.

Top casing was a good idea for this variety. It will pay off. They're pinning now so as long as they're getting air and you're misting, it should be good.

These take patience on cakes and it looks like you've made it very far. Your details all seem fine.. I guess really the only thing I could recommend is putting them on upside down jar lids to prevent pooling water but that might not be such a bad thing in this case.

Just keep letting these go I mean I can't really think much else to troubleshoot or do that you're not already doing.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: Adden]
    #24397304 - 06/11/17 04:20 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Oh and what happens when you place your hand on the perlite? If none sticks to your hand it's not wet enough.

OfflineKosmick
FeelsGoodMan

#24397395 - 06/11/17 04:50 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for your two cents, Adden.  Perlite was checked a few days ago and is fine.

Are the caps that are dark/have dark spots aborted?  Or, maybe a better question would be, do you see any aborts in the pics?

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #24397452 - 06/11/17 05:18 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

One looks like it might and it appears it maybe occurred during a heavy period of misting. You'd be surprised at some pins that look like they're gonna abort just come back to life. One looks like it's already breaking a partial veil but it's PE maybe it just does that and then has the body swell.

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
    #24397911 - 06/11/17 07:45 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

First off, PE is not suited well for cakes. Go bulk next time.
Your pins look fine. PE pins generally start out with darker caps that lighten with maturity.
Also with PE the veils tend to break earlier than with other cubes. This is fine and normal. They swell up considerably after the veil breaks.
They also don't sporulate heavily so you don't need to worry about finding a purple explosion.
Just keep providing them with the best environment that you can and you and they will be just fine.
I've also noticed that PE benefits greatly from letting the spawn consolidate. Which cuts down on blobs and promotes normal fruits.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

OfflineKosmick
FeelsGoodMan

Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: LotKid]
    #24398163 - 06/11/17 09:24 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the advice...I'll stay the course and hope for the best :mushroom2:

OfflineKosmick
FeelsGoodMan

#24454841 - 07/03/17 03:52 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Thread update:  The cakes never did produce...I got countless pins, but they all either stalled while very tiny, or quickly aborted.  I ended up tossing them out a few weeks later to make room for regular cakes that couldn't wait any longer to be fruited.  As usual, those cakes are producing very well.

I did start a few more PE cakes a long time ago, before I realized just how poorly they would perform in the SGFC.  Four cakes, to be exact.  I don't really want to fruit them as cakes again, considering the wasted time and effort last go-round.

Any suggestions on a better alternative?  I am thinking about breaking them up and spawning them 1:1 with verm in a small tray, perhaps something like one of those long, skinny pans that fruitcake or banana bread usually come in, then introducing it to the SGFC.  Would this work?

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Loc: behind you Flag
    #24454919 - 07/03/17 04:21 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Best bet is to switch to grains for PE varieties or if you wanna stick with PF switch to the easier cubes that do better on cakes. Its not the sgfc's fault its pf tek just doesnt provide the water that PE demands to grow properly.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS come here and share your knowledge
COCA GROWERS UNITE
:penis:Click here for UK trades:penis:
:penis: need some supplies in the UK check Here or PM me:penis:
UK OTD uk members chat
UK supplies and trade OTD place to chat shit
Right Here
If you use "SWIM" you should DROWN

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24454925 - 07/03/17 04:23 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

First off, dont fruit PE on cakes. Mistake one.

Second mistake, those cakes look *really* dry. U need to keep everything moist in your SGFC, especially your cakes!!

If u have unbirthed cakes, let them colonize then shred them into a tray with fresh grain using a cheese grater and cover with steam-sterilized coir coir (such as a the bucket tek). Let colonize then place in SGFC. Should get much better results that way.

Also your "mini-SGFC" is too small. Make one twice as big.

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #24454935 - 07/03/17 04:27 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

With fresh grain? Why would you want to do that? You cant add grain once fruiting it need to have colonised it. Plus if he could sterilise grain he would have grown bulk in the first place surely i dont know tbh if OP has the stuff needed.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #24454942 - 07/03/17 04:31 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Add grain after fruiting? Not sure what u mean.

You are supposed to shred the cakes (now spawn) to freshly prepped grain sitting in a tray (aka went thru the PC then cooled), then case it with coir or verm. Crumble and Case tek.

Whats u talkin about? Sumthang new??? :strokebeard:

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24454949 - 07/03/17 04:34 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Never seen that before i thought you just crumble your cakes to verm and/or coir. If your prepping grains anyway why not just use straight grains? I never went that far with cakes to try bulk cake after many cakes i wanted to try grains and stuck with it since.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #24454961 - 07/03/17 04:37 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm, i guess u can just use the cake as spawn inside of adding grain. Adding grain is better thou, better results. But if u have no PC, then i guess using the cake as the only source of food is fine. Never heard it described that way.

I guess it will work :shrug:

OfflineAztecDeathWhistle
Shroomgineer

#24454991 - 07/03/17 04:51 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Have you ever grown mushrooms before? If no I recommend trying some regular cubes instead. PE's can be a giant pain in the dick especially if you're not completely 100% about what you're doing.

Offlineacidninja
student
Male User Gallery

Loc: the system Flag
Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: AztecDeathWhistle]
    #24455061 - 07/03/17 05:15 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

lol rip

--------------------

- DMT
- Liberty Cap Gallery

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24455062 - 07/03/17 05:16 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mrmazdarx9 said:
Its not the sgfc's fault its pf tek just doesnt provide the water that PE demands to grow properly.

:whathesaid:

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

Second mistake, those cakes look *really* dry. U need to keep everything moist in your SGFC, especially your cakes!!

:thumbup:

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

If u have unbirthed cakes, let them colonize then shred them into a tray with fresh grain using a cheese grater and cover with steam-sterilized coir coir (such as a the bucket tek). Let colonize then place in SGFC. Should get much better results that way.

Do not do this! Repeat, Do not do this!

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

Also your "mini-SGFC" is too small. Make one twice as big.

The size of the SGFC isn't relevant.

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:

You are supposed to shred the cakes (now spawn) to freshly prepped grain sitting in a tray (aka went thru the PC then cooled), then case it with coir or verm. Crumble and Case tek.

Where did you get this info? Sterilizing grains then inoculating them in an open try is a terrible idea.

Quote:

Kosmick said:
Thread update:  The cakes never did produce...I got countless pins, but they all either stalled while very tiny, or quickly aborted. 

You're fruits aborted because they most likely didn't have enough moisture to support their development. PE require a lot of water IME.

Quote:

Kosmick said:
I am thinking about breaking them up and spawning them 1:1 with verm in a small tray, perhaps something like one of those long, skinny pans that fruitcake or banana bread usually come in, then introducing it to the SGFC.  Would this work?

Yes, this will work. You could even use coir if you want to. But spawning to just verm in a tray will work. It might not get you the best results but if you take care of it properly you should see some fruits. I recommend this option.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#24456528 - 07/04/17 10:45 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Hmm, i guess u can just use the cake as spawn inside of adding grain. Adding grain is better thou, better results. But if u have no PC, then i guess using the cake as the only source of food is fine. Never heard it described that way.

I guess it will work :shrug:

Adding uncolonised grain to a sub your fruiting justs screams contam magnet to me thats all.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: LotKid]
    #24457128 - 07/04/17 03:00 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Ya know, youre totally right. Putting shredded cake and grains in a tray is a bad idea: It needs to be sealed (with FAE) to prevent infections.

Just found this Violet casing tek: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19167510#19167510

Seems like u could modify it by PCing grains in a similar but larger container, then crumble/shred a cake into it (while in a SAB) then let it colonize with the lid on (provided it had clean FAE).

That would work right?

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Please Help my Poor, Pathetic PE Cakes [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #24457162 - 07/04/17 03:15 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I think you're overthinking this a little bit. He can just spawn his cakes to coir/verm. Or just verm if he doesn't have coir. I recommend using coir though. I think using coir would help his yield. He can spawn it to a small tray. Cover it with foil that has a few holes poked in it then when colonized, put it in his SGFC and mist as needed. Doesn't get much easier then that.

Edited by LotKid (07/04/17 04:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract