Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, pH Test Strips, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Tarragon oyster, on enriched paper pellets
    #24396833 - 06/11/17 04:00 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Finally got round to cleaning and spawning my Tarragon oyster, I used all of my own methods to clean, spawn and fully colonize it.
I have been busy working out the best way to prevent contamination and get what I want from my chosen mycelium.

Anyway, here is my current Tarragon oyster, with surface detection and O2 consolidation.
It needs a few more days to complete consolidation, it's a very aggressive strain.

The spawn was placed at the bottom, I am using the grow-up style.

--------------------

--------------------
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Journal/350881 - Ferather's Journal, guides, recipes and more [2019]
--------------------
RGM: Rift Game Manager - DPS meter for Rift, with absorb to heal converter and data export [2017]
Commander: [Cygwin + Cmder] - Customize Android, Setup VirtualBox, plus more [2019]

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineForresterM
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tarragon oyster, on enriched paper pellets [Re: Ferather]
    #24400906 - 06/13/17 12:30 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, now that's some thick mycelium there!  Looks like an aggressive strain indeed. 

Impressed with how well the spawn at the bottom, "grow-up" style technique there seems to have worked.  I will have to try it some time, with aggressive enough species.  Looking forward to seeing your results.

BTW, what exactly is "terragon oyster" all about, a new species or strain?  Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop.  Yeah I could google it I guess, but I'm lazy and since I'm the only one to respond so far might as well get some conversation going :smile:

:thumbup:

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Re: Tarragon oyster, on enriched paper pellets [Re: Forrester]
    #24401797 - 06/13/17 11:06 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

"Tarragon Oyster Mushroom is a very rare oyster mushroom which is thought to be only found in the British Isles and is not cultivated commercially at all...
... it’s smell and taste resembles the herb tarragon making it probably the finest tasting oyster mushroom there is." -- Source

Branched oyster (Pleurotus Cornucopiae)  < Parent, common
|
|---- Variation ---- Golden oyster (Pleurotus Citrinopileatus)  < Common
|---- Variation ---- Tarragon oyster (Pleurotus Euosmus)  < Rare

--------------------

--------------------
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Journal/350881 - Ferather's Journal, guides, recipes and more [2019]
--------------------
RGM: Rift Game Manager - DPS meter for Rift, with absorb to heal converter and data export [2017]
Commander: [Cygwin + Cmder] - Customize Android, Setup VirtualBox, plus more [2019]

Offlineadadada
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24402411 - 06/13/17 03:11 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

What do you mean by surface detection and o2 consolidation?

I'm not finding anything on those with either google, this site, or your own guides.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Re: Tarragon oyster, on enriched paper pellets [Re: adadada]
    #24403132 - 06/13/17 07:42 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Well what I mean is, anaerobic or semi-anaerobic colonization (underground, inside a tree), to aerobic or "higher O2" (surface) growth.
This is why the mycelium changed growth style, in reaction to higher O2 levels, it's consolidating with more usable O2.

Here is King oyster, with stages, notice the same reaction to higher O2 and the same surface growth.
The King oyster fruited specifically from the detected surface, there was no side pinning.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------

Offlineadadada
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24404333 - 06/14/17 08:43 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Ah, gotcha. Thank you.

I thought you had some fancy new technique to enhance growth ... like o2 injection or some such thing.

I can see what you mean on the consolidation near the surface.  Looks like really good strong growth.  Good luck with the fruiting.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Re: Tarragon oyster, on enriched paper pellets [Re: adadada]
    #24404444 - 06/14/17 09:32 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

No problem adadada, sorry for the confusion. Thank you for the good luck, I might well need it, lol.
The Tarragon has finished, so I will soaking the surface with CaCO3 water (pH 8.4).

Trigger set: Heavy rain effect, pH change, fusion, more O2 and light.

I will be taking images and explaining further soon.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

#24404517 - 06/14/17 10:04 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I laughed when I opened the top, apparently it triggered itself. Tons of fruits in the areas with highest O2.
However I will continue as planned, and soak the surface. Tarragon is now my favorite oyster.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

#24405122 - 06/14/17 02:18 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Change of plan based on the fact it will fruit aggressively, better than Golden, I have used my tub as spawn to a wider container.
I added another 480g of hydrated WL-Tek, to take up some room as the container has a larger volume.

Once the mycelium is close to the surface, it will be put into fruiting.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------

OfflineForresterM
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24406349 - 06/14/17 10:19 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ferather said:
Change of plan based on the fact it will fruit aggressively

Haha, oysters ARE oysters so no real surprise there :wink:

Interesting strain!  Would love to try it sometime, but sadly no time/energy to grow these days.  Looking forward to seeing harvest pics!

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

#24407363 - 06/15/17 11:54 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I was expecting Golden oyster time scales and fruiting style, however it was about 4 days earlier.
Golden oyster will increase tuber size, whereas Tarragon will produce another tuber.

It's true that Tarragon will not produce more than ~10 fruits per tuber.
In short, it will take more surface area to fruit per flush.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------

OfflineForresterM
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24409055 - 06/15/17 11:45 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ferather said:
It's true that Tarragon will not produce more than ~10 fruits per tuber.
In short, it will take more surface area to fruit per flush.

Or maybe, if you did it bucket style, just more holes in the bucket?

I see the difference, blue oysters in a bucket will produce up to 30 mushrooms per cluster (hole), so if this one does less, why not just try bucket style with plenty of holes?

--------------------

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

#24409542 - 06/16/17 08:12 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

That's true, good point Forrester, I also have 80 liter clear bags that can be used (adjustable tent).
I have 50kg large tapered plant containers and also smaller plant containers I can use.

I have a plant pot method I can try indoors, I'll try that first and see.

--------------------

--------------------
--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, pH Test Strips, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms