Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedavomagic
Stranger
SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii?
    #24395787 - 06/11/17 06:06 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

not sure on these guys they do have some similarity's to subs but comparing to pictures I don't think so, no blue bruising the stem hasn't bruised any colour at all.
found in perfect conditions at the bottom of a pine Forrest and were hiding under the "leafs" sticks idk what you would call what pine trees' drop.

currently doing a spore print, ill get your guys opinion before hand thank you.

a few of the caps have the bell shape. ill just get a quick response and then do a more detailed post if they look like the real deal.

here we go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: davomagic]
    #24395794 - 06/11/17 06:10 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Not subs, they dont grow in South America, those are some kind of Amanita, see the cup at the base of the stem. They will most likely have a white spore print. They are very poisonous.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Edited by Doc9151 (06/11/17 06:13 AM)

OfflineNobodyYouKnow
Someone else
 User Gallery

Loc: To your south Flag
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: davomagic]
    #24395805 - 06/11/17 06:22 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Not subs. Don't think I've ever seen Panaeolus fimicola or similar around Adelaide, if that's where you are. Please don't delete your post this time so others can learn.

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: Doc9151]
    #24395809 - 06/11/17 06:24 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

When digging up mushrooms, be extremely careful so you get everything. There is also a species called volvariella that has that also has a cup at the base of the stem.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: NobodyYouKnow] * 1
    #24395812 - 06/11/17 06:26 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyYouKnow said:
Not subs. Don't think I've ever seen Panaeolus fimicola or similar around Adelaide, if that's where you are. Please don't delete your post this time so others can learn.

Lol I thought the SA was for South America, it didn't even occur to me it could mean Southern Australia

--------------------

OfflineNobodyYouKnow
Someone else
 User Gallery

Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: Doc9151] * 1
    #24395814 - 06/11/17 06:30 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Haha! Easy mistake to make. If he is in South Australia he should cut the mushrooms and leave the myc, here is why.....

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24293367#24293367

Quote:

brk said:
I posted this in a thread about cutting or pulling mushrooms, I thought I'd share it here as well as it's not really common knowledge.

Quote:

Arko said:
Having seen the discussion on cutting or pulling in a few different places I thought it would be good to have a specific thread.

I've been cutting because when I started hunting that's what was recommended. Now the argument is going towards pulling because cutting leaves a stem stub that can rot and harm the mycelium.

So which is the best option? Thinking about not leaving a stem but to rot makes sense but when a whole mushroom is left it rots and doesn't seem to harm the mycelium.

Be good to hear the reasoning behind your vote.

Quote:

brk said:
I feel fairly strongly about this, because it's affecting a lot of native bushland here in SA (even on my own property). I don't know if cutting or pulling affects the fruit yield or not but please read the following carefully, as this is an excellent reason NOT to rip mushrooms out the ground.

Phytophthora cinnamomi is the main issue here in SA but NZ has a number of species that are just as damaging to the ecosystem.

Phytophthora sp. are among the most invasive and damaging to biodiversity of all known organisms (humans excepted :lol:). It has been recorded as an environmental threat in more than 70 countries. It is known to infect >3000 plant species including more than 2500 Australian native species.

Phytophthora itself cannot be seen with the naked eye, but ‘Dieback’ is an obvious symptom often seen throughout the scrub (South Aus is my main concern, because I live here). Please avoid mushroom hunting in areas where you notice an unusual number of dead trees or shrubs.

The movement of infected plant material and soils remains the greatest threat to, uninfected bushlands. Hiking (specifically, mushroom hunting) can carry infected soil over large distances, and even back to your own property.

What you can do;

• Use scissors or a knife to cut the stipe/stalk mushroom off just above ground level. DO NOT pull it out the ground, as this is a sure fire way to spread this problem!!

• Don’t take your vehicle into or through an infected area, especially if the track is wet.

• Avoid walking through mud or puddles or streams when in areas that have been proclaimed infected or which appear infected.

• When moving out of one area, into another, remove all mud and vegetative material from boots and clothes. (Best practice is to spray your ‘cleaned’ boots with 70% methylated spirits and wait until they are dry before moving on). Use the hygiene stations provided at high risk sites.

• Never remove plant material from an infected zone, and remember that your own garden may be a source of infection - always ‘go bush’ with clean clothes, clean boots and a clean car - no mud or dirt that may carry spores.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

I'd love to see some mushrooms from South Africa... :lol:

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: Doc9151]
    #24395815 - 06/11/17 06:31 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
those are some kind of Amanita, see the cup at the base of the stem.

They are an Inocybe sp. Many of them have a bulbous base, but no volva as you can see in the pictures.

But, likely to be very toxic indeed.

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: Anglerfish]
    #24395821 - 06/11/17 06:34 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Look at the one in the second pic below to one thats sideways,  it looks like it had a cup, thats why I thought Amanita.

--------------------

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #24395827 - 06/11/17 06:40 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
Look at the one in the second pic below to one thats sideways,  it looks like it had a cup, thats why I thought Amanita.

Yeah, that feature is typical of some Inocybe species, the bulb has a somewhat shelf-like upper edge.

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: Anglerfish]
    #24395845 - 06/11/17 06:50 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, thanks, I learned something new today.

--------------------

Offlinedavomagic
Stranger
    #24395869 - 06/11/17 07:06 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

thank you guys for the help, jesus I am seriously starting to think very few people have searched harder then me to find there first sub haha.
went for a look near strut George dam, google maps said you could drive the whole way to it.. you cant,,only seen one mushroom full stop near there way to dry.
then I went to a creek about 20 mins away sturt George is where I found these I got told by a member he found many there last year. here are some pics.
I'm all for picking mushrooms the correct way, once I can spot sub's out easily! haha this is probably why I am getting no subs some calmer back on me for ripping them all out. so what is the correct way to pick them ? pinch/cut?

OfflineNobodyYouKnow
Someone else
 User Gallery

#24395878 - 06/11/17 07:12 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Pinch or cut doesn't matter. We've been dry this June, wait until after it rains before you go again. They'll pop up in a lot more spots with some rain (when it's dry they aren't very easy to find sometimes as they hide pretty well). Keep studying up and checking out Google maps while you're waiting for some rain to come. :thumbup:

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #24395881 - 06/11/17 07:14 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

davomagic said:
thank you guys for the help, jesus I am seriously starting to think very few people have searched harder then me to find there first sub haha.
went for a look near strut George dam, google maps said you could drive the whole way to it.. you cant,,only seen one mushroom full stop near there way to dry.
then I went to a creek about 20 mins away sturt George is where I found these I got told by a member he found many there last year. here are some pics.
I'm all for picking mushrooms the correct way, once I can spot sub's out easily! haha this is probably why I am getting no subs some calmer back on me for ripping them all out. so what is the correct way to pick them ? pinch/cut?

Use scissors or a sharp knife and cut as close to the ground ad possible

--------------------

Edited by Doc9151 (06/11/17 07:15 AM)

Offlinedavomagic
Stranger
    #24395917 - 06/11/17 07:41 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

ok I better start following the recommendations and hopefully calmer will start turning my way.
the grading show on abc radio Saturday mornings had a long range forecast of Adelaide's winter weather, supposedly it will be dryer then average. they have a hard time getting next week right so I'm not sure if we should put much faith into the long term one haha we might all be out doing a rain dance soon.

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #24395926 - 06/11/17 07:44 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
Use scissors or a sharp knife and cut as close to the ground ad possible

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/how-to-harvest-wild-mushrooms-cutting-v-picking-26711/

--------------------

InvisibleSWFL
Gettin' Better All The Time
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #24395938 - 06/11/17 07:52 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Don't worry about that advice to cut instead of pic your mushrooms, especially when you don't know what they are and are looking ID them. The stem base and cup (if present) is a key indicator for many species.

Once you find a patch of something that you can positively ID then you can worry about whether to cut or pick it. I still think it doesn't matter as long as you're not tearing up the ground too bad and bringing large portions of mycelium to the surface.

--------------------
Listening to anything I say could be detrimental to your health-

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Loc: SA Flag
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: NobodyYouKnow] * 1
    #24397742 - 06/11/17 06:59 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

It does matter in South Australia....

Quote:

NobodyYouKnow said:
Haha! Easy mistake to make. If he is in South Australia he should cut the mushrooms and leave the myc, here is why.....

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24293367#24293367

Quote:

brk said:
I feel fairly strongly about this, because it's affecting a lot of native bushland here in SA (even on my own property). I don't know if cutting or pulling affects the fruit yield or not but please read the following carefully, as this is an excellent reason NOT to rip mushrooms out the ground.

Phytophthora cinnamomi is the main issue here in SA but NZ has a number of species that are just as damaging to the ecosystem.

Phytophthora sp. are among the most invasive and damaging to biodiversity of all known organisms (humans excepted :lol:). It has been recorded as an environmental threat in more than 70 countries. It is known to infect >3000 plant species including more than 2500 Australian native species.

Phytophthora itself cannot be seen with the naked eye, but ‘Dieback’ is an obvious symptom often seen throughout the scrub (South Aus is my main concern, because I live here). Please avoid mushroom hunting in areas where you notice an unusual number of dead trees or shrubs.

The movement of infected plant material and soils remains the greatest threat to, uninfected bushlands. Hiking (specifically, mushroom hunting) can carry infected soil over large distances, and even back to your own property.

What you can do;

• Use scissors or a knife to cut the stipe/stalk mushroom off just above ground level. DO NOT pull it out the ground, as this is a sure fire way to spread this problem!!

• Don’t take your vehicle into or through an infected area, especially if the track is wet.

• Avoid walking through mud or puddles or streams when in areas that have been proclaimed infected or which appear infected.

• When moving out of one area, into another, remove all mud and vegetative material from boots and clothes. (Best practice is to spray your ‘cleaned’ boots with 70% methylated spirits and wait until they are dry before moving on). Use the hygiene stations provided at high risk sites.

• Never remove plant material from an infected zone, and remember that your own garden may be a source of infection - always ‘go bush’ with clean clothes, clean boots and a clean car - no mud or dirt that may carry spores.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

--------------------
"To the young it gives a vision of the dead and gone. While the old receive a passion to survive,
and the pattern picks the pockets of the palindrome, before the oscillating rhythm takes to flight..." - Rishloo

OfflinePanSoup458
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: brk]
    #24430398 - 06/23/17 10:03 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone have a clue to what I have found please help :smile:

--------------------
Help me out I'm a new one. :tongue:

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Loc: SA Flag
Re: SA ID PLEASE, dont think so but maybe one hiding in there. Panaeolus foenisecii? [Re: PanSoup458]
    #24431057 - 06/24/17 08:05 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Cortinarius rotundisporus? not active.

--------------------
"To the young it gives a vision of the dead and gone. While the old receive a passion to survive,
and the pattern picks the pockets of the palindrome, before the oscillating rhythm takes to flight..." - Rishloo

Edited by brk (06/24/17 08:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags