Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Anonymous

AMERICA
    #2437420 - 03/15/04 11:07 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

I just watched Bowling for Columbine..and I must say, GREAT MOVIE!

I was especially interested in the fact that America has over 11 thousand gun deaths while most countries don't even have 150... Where is America headed as a country? When all of the world looks at us as a bunch of gun totin killin ma'fuckers.. and so many people in the world hate our country. Hell, even some Americans hate our own country, or atleast how it's run.

America is the most powerful country in the world and the most corrupt...I believe our media is definitly a key factor in how American citizens picture their country or neighborhoods. If everyone is thinking their neighborhood has a bunch of killers in it they will live in fear, buy guns or what have you..but fear ultimately leads to violence in one way or another..so is it our own fear that leads to all these deaths?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: AMERICA [Re: ]
    #2437426 - 03/15/04 11:08 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

yes
Fear
Fear of ourselves
Fear of each other

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2437489 - 03/15/04 11:34 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

In the words of yoda...

Fear leads to anger,
Anger leads to hate,
Hate leads to suffering!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Anonymous

#2437539 - 03/15/04 11:55 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2437606 - 03/16/04 12:11 AM (20 years, 8 days ago)

"Where is America headed as a country?"

I feel that unfortunately, this entire country (USA) and lifestyle is going to fall apart within a couple generations.

I don't feel like we were "meant" to live like this

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
Re: AMERICA [Re: Strumpling]
    #2437793 - 03/16/04 01:09 AM (20 years, 8 days ago)

yeah i agree. we weren't meant to be subjected to all these chemicals and radiation and electronics, it's pretty un-natural.

but hopefully i'll die before it all falls apart.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: AMERICA [Re: Strumpling]
    #2437884 - 03/16/04 01:32 AM (20 years, 8 days ago)

Everyone thought the U.S.A. was going to hell when Elvis started gyrating on stage.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Anonymous

#2438007 - 03/16/04 03:06 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:
1. That movie was full of lies and distortions. If that doesn't bother you that's cool.

2. Would you post a sign outside your home stating that you have no guns?

If not, why not?

And btw, America is one half of the name of a continent. The United States is a country.

1. Care to point some out?

2. I have no guns. Why would I post that sign up anyway? I'm not anti-guns..nor do I care for having signs of any kind on my lawn..

So you're saying I shouldn't call this country America? ok..thats your opinion. I'll say it whether or not it's politically correct.. doesn't really matter to me. This is America to me.. its not North America, its America.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2438072 - 03/16/04 04:08 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

1. Well while I liked the movie, he moved quotes around and such... for instance in the Charlton Heston speech part, half of that speech was from another speech (notice Heston is wearing a different tie in half of the "speech"). There is some sight called Michaelmooreisaliar.com or something like that delving into many of the theories of how the movie is distorted, and as well on michael moore's website he justifies himself.

Don't say it's "America" to somebody from Latin America... they tend to get REALLY pissed (at least all the latin americans I know do), because to them (the ones I know) the US represents this force that supported lots of dictators in their countries, and is now forcing open their borders and screwing up their economies. Unfortunately the english language doesn't have a noun for somebody from the US, they are just called "American". Interesting trivia, in Iceland they have a specific word for somebody from the US.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2438108 - 03/16/04 04:33 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

> I just watched Bowling for Columbine..and I must say, GREAT MOVIE!

Bowling for Columbine was one of the biggest propaganda crocks of shit I have ever seen. It is full of half truths, misleading information, out of context quotes, clever editing... if this were a documentary about Hitler, you would come away thinking he wasn't such a bad man after all.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #2438664 - 03/16/04 09:44 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Even with all the crazy "horrible distortions" that Moore made in that movie, it was still a fairly solid movie with a lot of good points. I am saddened that Moore had to stoop so low just to make a few bucks, but a lot of the accusations I've read at anti-Moore sites are just ridiculous and make no difference in the movie's point anyway.

And for the record, if I -knew- there were no guns in the house I live in, I'd put up a sign! (unfortunately I think one member of this house does indeed have a pistol) (edit:: but i do not live in fear!)

-jwax

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Edited by lukeboots (03/16/04 09:45 AM)

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Seuss]
    #2438670 - 03/16/04 09:47 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Anonymous

#2440400 - 03/16/04 05:50 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

This movie hasn't changed my mind about anything. Every opinion I've ever had on America has been the same for quite a long time. This movie may have been cleverly edited, even contained some lies, but there is still a lot of truth in it. I did think that the way they made black people seem like victims to media was a little overdramatic. But yet, there is a little truth in it.

You may not believe that our media is always portraying bad things to make people afraid, but I do. I mean, look at this silly warning system the Bush administration came up with... When you tell me there is a "high condition" for terrorist attacks I EXPECT A HIGH CONDITION. But is there ever really any threat? nope.

You can take what you want from a movie but always learn to look past some faults in anything to see the good.

Anonymous

#2440430 - 03/16/04 05:59 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

When people from other nations talk trash about Americans what do they say?
"Americans are fat"
"Americans are stupid"
"Americans are lazy"
"Americans are war hungry"
"Americans think they're better than everyone else"

I've heard it COUNTLESS TIMES over the internet. But what it comes down to is a HUGE portion of the world will call us Americans. We are Americans, politically correct or not.

Krishna, you called Latin Americans...Latin Americans...so umm..just because they have the word latin in it, its ok now? What do THEY call people from the US?

Offlinevade
veteran

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2440498 - 03/16/04 06:17 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

America just keeps getting worse.
slowly but surely its happening...1984...

--------------------
I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed...

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2441062 - 03/16/04 08:34 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

The biggest flaw with BFC is the total lack of logic. For all I know, NRA may actually be the cause of a gun problem in the US, but BFC is a non sequitor.

Anyway.. I'm not an opponent of gun ownership, but the fanatic fascination with firearms in the US seems a bit over the top.

I suppose if you're imagining that you have some "god given" right, you'll want to make use of it.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Anonymous

Re: AMERICA [Re: muhurgle]
    #2441895 - 03/17/04 01:20 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Anyway.. I'm not an opponent of gun ownership, but the fanatic fascination with firearms in the US seems a bit over the top.

thats exactly how I feel

OfflineWhiteh
Even Stranger..

#2442078 - 03/17/04 04:41 AM (20 years, 6 days ago)

I'm not American, nor do I have anything against Americans - but I can't help but laugh when they call themselves the 'leaders of the free world'. What a joke.

The American democratic system is hardly fair (again, I don't know a huge amount about it but it is my undestanding that some states' votes are worth more than others when it comes to the elections) and America is home to some of the most draconian drug laws in the world.

I'm not having a dig, I've got nothing against America or Americans, but I think a lot of Americans have a very naive view that their country is something that it's not..

--------------------
"Too low to find my way, too high to wonder why" - Thievery Corporation

OfflineMadHamish
Tourist on Earth

Loc: A coffee shop in Holland
Re: AMERICA [Re: Whiteh]
    #2443222 - 03/17/04 12:18 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Aye, me agrees

--------------------
Valar Morghulis

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: AMERICA [Re: Whiteh]
    #2444039 - 03/17/04 04:26 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

I'm not American, nor do I have anything against Americans - but I can't help but laugh when they call themselves the 'leaders of the free world'. What a joke.

...which brings up another point. In discussions on the U.S., Americans will point out to anyone who's not American that they are referring to America's leaders when they say America has installed dictators, wrongfully invaded Iraq, etc, not the average Joe in street.
So what it comes down to is this: did the U.S. government do something... ?
==> Bad: "It's not us, it's our government."
==> Good: "We're the greatest nation in the world"
Kinda ambivalent sense of patriottism, would you not agree?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Anonymous

Re: AMERICA [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2444369 - 03/17/04 06:15 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

I think when most Americans say that we have the greatest nation on Earth they mean that we are the most powerful and most influential. Not all Americans believe we are the most righteous..me being one of those people. We are definitly not the 'freeist' country in the world... but we atleast do have some freedom.

If we had a better government than America would really be the 'greatest' nation..but unfortunately we have a money hungry machine running our country...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom