Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Should I tell my parents about my drug use?
    #2436569 - 03/15/04 07:47 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

Maybe I'm feeling brave, or foolish, or just plain sick of hiding the fact that my life has changed for the better because of certain substances.

My mother always says to me how happy and content I seem, and she asks me how I got that way. I always just smile and act mysterious. But I want to be an example to my parents of how substances can be used responsibly and safely and be a positive experience.

The problem: They're Fundamentalist Christians and lap up everything the government tells them. They think George Bush is inspired by God, and that Ashcroft has our best interests in mind. And they HATE drugs and alcohol.

But I'm sick of hiding, you know? This is my life, and I am able to enjoy it now sober because of the clarity that these drugs have given me. Any tips on how to go about this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Should I tell my parents about my drug use? [Re: MOTH]
    #2436574 - 03/15/04 07:48 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

How old are you if I might ask?
I thought you were married and not living at home?

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: Should I tell my parents about my drug use? [Re: Ripple]
    #2436589 - 03/15/04 07:51 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

I dont know, its good to be proud and all...
But if it aint broke dont fix it. Let them think you really are happy all the time, that'd probably be for the better.

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#2436599 - 03/15/04 07:53 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Ripple said:
How old are you if I might ask?
I thought you were married and not living at home?

I'm 21, married and living about a hundred miles away from my parents.

But I see them every month or so.  I basically want to tell them of my drug use and not ruin my relationship with them, or how they think of me.  Easier said then done, I suspect.  But the lies!!  I'm sick of the lies!!  :crazy:

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
    #2436614 - 03/15/04 07:56 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

The only people who know I do drugs are people I do/have done drugs with. oh, and my boss  :lol:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

InvisibleTHEBOSS
THE BOSS

Re: Should I tell my parents about my drug use? [Re: iloveraving]
    #2436636 - 03/15/04 08:01 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

Tell them, you shouldn't have anything to hide if your a good person who does in general good things it shouldn't matter. I wouldn't hide it if i where you, i told my parents long ago and what maters is the person i am not what i do in SOME of my free time. My .02 cents

THE BOSS

--------------------
Mushbox Forum

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2436670 - 03/15/04 08:08 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

I don't know?????

I think the hurt and worry you may impose would out weight relieving your conscience. It depends on there mindset.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#2436687 - 03/15/04 08:12 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

Thats a good point. I don't want to worry them but at the same time I hate lying about it. *sigh*

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2436704 - 03/15/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

We do what we have to do .......

--------------------

Offlinejahfeelirie
meatwad

#2436706 - 03/15/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

you basically summed up my story as well. 

Almost to a tee actually :wink:

Personally, I have struggled with this, and always told myself that I would break the news and clear things up when I got financially independent...

And now Im here, financially independent.... and I still am hesitant to seriously entertain the idea.  I think it would probably hurt more than anything.  Maybe you can just ride it out until they stumble onto your bong.  Then I think it would be a nice time to defend your belief structure should they question it.

Ive sort of come to the "live and let live" conclusion at this point.

anyhoo, good luck

--------------------
my signature is too long

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
    #2436742 - 03/15/04 08:22 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

I'd suggest slowly merging the subject into your conversations --
they may learn to look at drugs (or certain drugs, anyway) differently than the propaganda they've been fed. Then you can open up.

It doesn't have to be "either I tell them everything or I keep lying."
Ease them into it. If you love them and want to maintain a positive relationship with them, it's probably the only way.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2436903 - 03/15/04 08:54 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

I would not tell them if I were you. I know it may seem unlikely, but they may even end up narcing you out. Some people just can't handle some types of information, it just doesn't mesh with the life views they've carefully constructed so that they can function 'normally'. Ignorance is bliss in some cases. just my 3 cents.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2436947 - 03/15/04 09:02 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

oh well shit...if you aren't living with them.. fuck yeah tell them. shatter their reality.

At least.. that's what I'd do..  :nut:

--------------------

InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I tell my parents about my drug use? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2436992 - 03/15/04 09:09 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

yea, I'm sick of lying too.  Mushrooms have made me a better person who respects all life around me.  I don't know how my mom would take the news though.  She knows I've tried them but she doesn't know the whole truth about the GOOD they can do.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I tell my parents about my drug use? [Re: Dankman]
    #2437064 - 03/15/04 09:24 PM (20 years, 17 days ago)

My parents know that I smoke pot. They also know that I'm a happy, independant, fairly succesfull person. My parents are very liberal though, so they can accept that. My mom, however, does not know that I still take hallucinogens. I think she would worry if she knew, and I don't want that. She drug tested me once when I was like 18 and still living at home(So, I had to submit to it, if I wanted to continue living there), and I tested positive for THC, and LSD. She was REALLY worried about the fact that I was doing LSD. I think that she is alot happier not knowing that I do these things. After all, she grew up in the 60's and was fed alot of the LSD propaganda of the day, as well as having friends that took way too much and freaked out. I think your parents are probably happier not knowing, but if it ways on you too heavily, it might be better to get it out in the open.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2438036 - 03/16/04 03:28 AM (20 years, 16 days ago)

It really depends, I'd say. I am very open with my parents about my drug use... I am 18 and living across the atlantic ocean from them... but then again my mom was a stoner in her day (although she is against drug use now) and my dad is very into sprituality, so while he disagrees with my take on entheogens, he doesn't think its just some made up excuse to take drugs... he honestly accepts the fact that I believe certain drugs really help me along my spiritual path. But, with what you said about your parents... hmm... would telling them do anything except cause a difficult situation? Don't tell them just to say "haha im doing this and you cant do anything to stop it!" ... only tell them if you honestly think it would improve your situation together.

just my ideas

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2438124 - 03/16/04 04:49 AM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Bad Idea. If she asks then tell her if not, why? My parents are the same way, Baptist and believe just about anything "Government Studies" tell them. I'm a lot older than you and would never think of telling them because they wouldn't understand . it may put a strain on your relationship with them.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleshriek

#2438128 - 03/16/04 04:58 AM (20 years, 16 days ago)

it really depends on two thinga, 1. how your parent is, i belive all should hear the truth instead of lies even if that might hurt someone but all should be able to handle truth better than lies. if you belive soemthing you do is right you should stand up for it, no nuts nu glory right. and 2. its a diffrence in sayin "im good _because_ i take all these drugs bla blah" or "i sometimes use drugs and doesnt feel like this affects me in a bad way blah blah"

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2438350 - 03/16/04 07:20 AM (20 years, 16 days ago)

There's a difference betweeng lying to someone, and simply keeping what you do in your free time, to yourself.

I dunno if I would tell them, if I were in your shoes--soley because they've obviously lived so much of their life in that mindset, as you described them...that I wouldn't know if the same happy atmosphere would ever exist anymore...but if they really love you, and all that you are, and have some decent common sense...then it shouldn't be too long before they'll snap out of it and realize that it's all good..  :wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #2439027 - 03/16/04 11:33 AM (20 years, 16 days ago)

my dad is hardcore christan like when i lived with him and my gf would sleep over he would bust in the room (half the time she would be only in underware) and tell her and me we were sluts and fornicators (sp?) and that we were going to hell ect. i've done drugs since i was 14 and always made a big deal to hide it from him by lying ect. he finally caught on when he found a lot of pot under my bed and flushed it :frown: but never was as upset about it as me having sex before marriage. i even grew pot behind his house and he didn't care, i showed him the plants too. he let me grow shrooms in the house as well, and i was surprised as hell since he's always been so anti-drug (won't even take painkillers presribed to him from the doc) heh now when he comes to my house i show him how everything is going, he like to look at the shrooms i even tried to get him to eat them but he never would and he's 71 so it's probably not the best idea. only thing i regret is any time something bad happens to me he instantly blames drugs, like i forget to do something important ect. i dunno just letting you know what happened when i was more honest with my dad, your parents might flip and try to baker act your ass or they might react like my dad and generally not care, only one way to find out

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Should I tell my parents about my drug use? [Re: John]
    #2440209 - 03/16/04 04:45 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

Yeah, I think I'm better off not telling them.  The bravery to tell has faded overnight.  And I probably would just worry them.  Sometimes I get so tempted to tell them, even though I know it would crack their reality to pieces.  They would probably never look at drug use as a positive thing, no matter what I said.  It makes me sad I can't share that part of myself with them, but we've always had communication issues. 

On the flip side, my parents-in-law know that my kitten grows and that my husband and I consume.  They're completely cool with it.  I figured they would be though.  My husband tells me he used to see their bong lying around when he was little.  :smirk:

Anonymous

#2440222 - 03/16/04 04:52 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

(((((((((hi ellemyshshade)))))))))))))
sounds like a catch 22,
your damned if you don't and damned if you do!

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #2440311 - 03/16/04 05:24 PM (20 years, 16 days ago)

I told my parents I smoked pot the first time I smoked, same for the shrooms. I made it clear that it was MY choice and they accepted that fact. But they were hippird in their time, I guess it helped. On the other hand, they seem to trust almost anything they're hearing about how drugs are bad.

I say tell them if the bravery come back :grin:

Bad illusions are meant to be broken!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract