Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePidil
Wannabe Wallabee

Newbie Questions I just Couldn't Seem To FAQ
    #2435609 - 03/15/04 05:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hiya, I have just recently delved into the world of mycology and I am ever so nervous about by first batch! I have a few general questions that I would be eternally greatful for anyone who has the time to give an opinion/answer. I followed the PF tek as closely as possible but I plan to use perlite for humidification of the growing chamber as the only straying from this method(it will be a basic sterile container of a size I have yet to research [12 or less cakes depending on develpment]). Anyways Im getting off topic
I used the electric coffee grinder at the store that I purchased the brown rice at (PF tek reccomends freshly ground rice)to make powder. The only problem is thatI realized after making about 1/2 my jars that there were, as I should have expected, a few small pieces of ground coffee beans. I tried my best to keep them out but Im sure a few got in. Also the brown rice was not entirley ground to a fine powder, more a powdere with chunks of rice (why didn't I sift...d'oh).
My question: Should I expect the coffee to cause problems? I have read in the FAQs that whole grain is also used as a substrate so I suspect that the rice chunks among more powder should be ok, but I would like to be sure.
Mainly I think Im worried because I have yet to see any mycelum growth in the jars but it has only been 4 days and I have kept them at room temp with one night in a car trunk (it was about 50-55 F inside the trunk I would guess). Im considering using some sort of heating pad on about 4 inches below the box containing the jars with a thermometer placed at the bottom of the box surface exposed to heat. Is that a bad idea? I think I have read somewhere that heating pads are a kind of a no-no, but I was hopping by monerting the temp and using only the lowest settings with no direct contatct to boost the 70-75 F room temp a few notches would be ok. The double container/fish tank heater would be a real pain in the ass set up in my grow place.
Anyways Ill be sure to update in a few days when it is more probable that I would have visiable growth. Sorry my post is so long! I seem to always be verbose as a motherfucker when excited about something:(

Thanks for reading! :cool:

Edited by Pidil (03/15/04 05:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMax1
MaxiMillion

Re: Newbie Questions I just Couldn't Seem FAQing [Re: Pidil]
    #2435629 - 03/15/04 05:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The chunks of brown rice are fine and the little bits of coffee should be fine to. Your temps are to low for colonization tho, should be in the mid 80's. 85 works well. As far as the no signs of growth in 4 days, not long enough, give it at least a week or 2 at the right temps before starting to worry.

Max

Offlineslammin007
yearnin' talearn

Re: Newbie Questions I just Couldn't Seem To FAQ [Re: Pidil]
    #2435639 - 03/15/04 05:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, first, that bit of coffee won't be a problem, 2nd the temperature fluctuations aren't helping your spores germinate. Get those jars into a warm place ~ 82- 85 degrees is best, but at LEAST rooms temperature. Heating pads are good, u don't need to put them directly on the jars. Definitely get a thermometer to check the temp.

And last, but not least, patience.

Good luck!

OfflinePidil
Wannabe Wallabee

Re: Newbie Questions I just Couldn't Seem To FAQ [Re: slammin007]
    #2443656 - 03/17/04 04:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the replies!
This Monday/Tuesday I began to see some white growth and was kind of worried it might be cobwebs, but it looks thicker than the contam pics I've seen around plus it's only occuring around inoc. sites :smile:.
I got the pad and therm to check it. I've been keeping the temp around 75-82. Should I try the 82-85? I was reading some more teks (I can't seem to stop reading those wonderful things, even the advanced ones that are somewhat confusing at this point) and the simple PF Tek recomended not exceding 80 F. Im going to go with what has been successful in actual experience as opposed to the tek, so I will raise the temp- just want to be sure I don't kill my babies. These are equidorians, so I was thinking they could stand the temps.anyways (or does it even matter?).
Oh yeah, Im trying to get ready for the birthing as early as possible. Im tempted to try dunking and cold shocking, but I worry about contams. The place that I am forced to work in for the rest of the growth is not very sterile(everything before incubation was off site)- my dorm room here at Amsterdam U. I can spray lysol in the air and clean the floors and work table with the squirt lysol for surfaces...but not much more. I know the fridge has been lysoled to death but Im sure it's contam city. Does anyone have an opinion on if I should try this? Maybe to even out the risk I could just dunk for the flushes after the first. I just saw the pics of the flush/nonflush comparison in a tek and it looked pretty amazing.
Ohyeah H202 use in the pertile soaking....about 3% ok in your experiences? I want to keep it low but if I contamed my chamber I would just shit bricks :P.
In any event thanks again for your time. Ill be getting my dc set up soon to upload some pics once I have something neato to show.

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
    #2445814 - 03/18/04 02:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

82-85 would be optimal ranges, hard to maintain with a heating pad, since as the tempoerature fluctuates in your house, so does the area around the heating pad. but its worth it nontheless. btw, im a firm believer that when the temp rises above the 86 (optimal) temperature, its actually more beneficial than harmful, up to a degree. stress factors are a part of nature imo, cold, hot, doesnt matter as long as it doesnt die.

as for sterility, in my dogs experience, the main points of sterility are sterilizing the substrate, needle and lid sterilizing, and thats about it really. he is a dog afterall, and can only remember so much. point being, sterility is nice, but even in messy conditions, things can be sterile enough for your needs. just remember, anything that is in the jar, or will go into the jar, needs to be sterilized, whether by flame, alcohol, dilute bleach, peroxide, or heat.

onto your next issue, dunking is fine, dont worry too much about contaminations, at that point in the mycelial lifecycle, it can produce its own antibodies to fight infections. also a 10:1 water:peroxide dunk is optional/optimal too. just keep the container closed fairly well in the fridge and it will be fine. as for rolling in verm, go for it, more moisture during fruiting is good. double end casing, look into it.

for sterilizing the water and chambers, yea, peroxide is fine to add to the water, my dog doesnt even measure, half a bottle, full bottle....doesnt matter really. breaks down into oxygen and water anyway, and it never comes into contact with the actual mycelium.

hope this helps, this is by no means authorative, just what ive learned from listening to people and such.

-jb

welcome abord, you're doing great, glad to see a learner.

--------------------

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #2446124 - 03/18/04 05:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I was able to maintain 82F with a heating pad by using a 1 inch thick {+ or -} stack of magazines on top of a cotton towel on top of the pad {lowest setting}. Once the mags heat up, the temp stays pretty consistent. My first PF jars are ready for birth this weekend. I can't wait! Good luck!

--------------------
"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation