Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? * 1
    #24355479 - 05/28/17 12:51 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone have some ideas for solid equipment to get for electronic music production?  Also if there are any quality laptops that are reasonably priced and good for this?

I don't have an exact idea in mind but anything that would have potential for making cool stuff with. I'm particularly inspired by artists like Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin and Four Tet with that kinda music but want to make shit up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegoslap
Goat
 User Gallery

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: skatealex2] * 2
    #24355499 - 05/28/17 01:04 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

A puter with lots of RAM and some monitor speakers.

Rest of the money will all be spent on VSTs and software.

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: skatealex2] * 1
    #24355502 - 05/28/17 01:05 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Macbook pro with thunderbolt chipset or an ADK pro-audio laptop is not cheap. Really producing is more economical on a desktop system. Is there any reason you are set on a laptop?

I would build a system on a desktop via newegg, save money and use the savings to spend on the other stuff you'll need like an audio interface, studio monitors, midi controllers ect.

At the minimum you want a intel core i5 or better and at least 8gb RAM. Also an SSD is great for your DAW and project files.

--------------------

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: ShroomDoom] * 1
    #24355507 - 05/28/17 01:08 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Macbook pro with thunderbolt chipset or an ADK pro-audio laptop is not cheap. Really producing is more economical on a desktop system. Is there any reason you are set on a laptop?

I would build a system on a desktop via newegg, save money and use the savings to spend on the other stuff you'll need like an audio interface, studio monitors, midi controllers ect.

I feel like the portable aspect of a laptop would makes it easier to use for me and help me create music when traveling if I ever take it on the road or anything.

OfflineDeathby69
Хрусталёв, машину!
 User Gallery

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: skatealex2] * 2
    #24355716 - 05/28/17 04:42 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Fuck all that noise.

Cellie and audacity ftw.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: skatealex2] * 1
    #24355728 - 05/28/17 04:56 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Any laptop with a good OS, good CPU, and lots of fast ram is what u need. Oh and a good sound card as well. But high hardward specs is most critical.

Theres lots of products out there for music production. Midi controllers, synths, keyboards, drum machines, on and on the list goes. U are gunna want a good program for making beats like Albeton, Pro Tools, Sony Acid :lsd:

http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/best-music-production-software-daw

Read that up.

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Offlinelifeiswhatyoumake
pump ur peen
Male User Gallery

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: skatealex2]
    #24356042 - 05/28/17 09:17 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I bought a new laptop recently for electronic music production.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 7778.
It has:

- 12 gb RAM
- Intel i7-6500U processor
- 17.3" screen

Spent $900.
It's a beast of a laptop, though.

I bought FL Studio finally, as well as Native Instruments' Komplete 11.  I have enough sounds for the rest of my life, I imagine.

--------------------
:goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:  I dropped a cheesy pop dance track "Be With Me, Baby": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezFSNS7JDI :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: lifeiswhatyoumake]
    #24356217 - 05/28/17 11:10 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:

It has:

- 12 gb RAM
- 17.3" screen

Spent $900.

That's a pretty good deal for a audio production laptop. I guess just relying on USB 3.0 for your controller ports which ain't bad but for someone with an interface running more than 4 external hardware inputs you will definitely want a higher end macbook or equivalent windows machine with thunderbolt integrated chipset.

good find!
I might just get me one hehe
walmart has the same price for one with 16gb RAM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Inspiron-17-7778-Intel-Core-i7-6500U-X2-2-5GHz-16GB-1TB-128GB-SSD-17-3-Win10-Gray/125701291

this is a more than decent machine for simple electronic music production, running a 4-channel interface and a few controllers.

Offlinelifeiswhatyoumake
pump ur peen
Male User Gallery

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #24356253 - 05/28/17 11:37 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I never use more than one MIDI, which is my keyboard. 
I can do so much with it.
If I did have to use a lot of MIDIs then I bet there's a USB splitter I can use.

That laptop you linked seems like a good deal!  Hopefully they restock it, since they're out at the moment.

What MIDIs do you use with your computer?

--------------------
:goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:  I dropped a cheesy pop dance track "Be With Me, Baby": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezFSNS7JDI :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: lifeiswhatyoumake]
    #24356664 - 05/28/17 03:09 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:
I never use more than one MIDI, which is my keyboard. 
I can do so much with it.
If I did have to use a lot of MIDIs then I bet there's a USB splitter I can use.

That laptop you linked seems like a good deal!  Hopefully they restock it, since they're out at the moment.

What MIDIs do you use with your computer?

Usb splitters are fine but past a certain number of external inputs usb 3.0 will have latency issues. This is why in pro studios almost always there is a thunderbolt or at least firewire chipset on the soundcard.

I have an APC 40 and a Roland A 49. I only use 2 usb inputs and I have a 2 channel interface.

--------------------

Offlinelifeiswhatyoumake
pump ur peen
Male User Gallery

#24356683 - 05/28/17 03:21 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I've never heard of this Thunderbolt.
So basically, from a few minutes of reading, a Thunderbolt is something that connects your computer to a MIDI and it will make basically no lag (8 nanoseconds) from external input to hearing that input through the computer?

So your two USB inputs tare the APC 40 and Roland A 49, right?
What do you mean by a 2 channel interface?  Is this what you see on the computer to control the two MIDIs?

--------------------

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

#24357167 - 05/28/17 06:33 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:

It has:

- 12 gb RAM
- 17.3" screen

Spent $900.

That's a pretty good deal for a audio production laptop. I guess just relying on USB 3.0 for your controller ports which ain't bad but for someone with an interface running more than 4 external hardware inputs you will definitely want a higher end macbook or equivalent windows machine with thunderbolt integrated chipset.

good find!
I might just get me one hehe
walmart has the same price for one with 16gb RAM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Inspiron-17-7778-Intel-Core-i7-6500U-X2-2-5GHz-16GB-1TB-128GB-SSD-17-3-Win10-Gray/125701291

this is a more than decent machine for simple electronic music production, running a 4-channel interface and a few controllers.

I'm thinking about getting that laptop now. After trying it as Best Buy it seems solid. My credit is bad so I'll probably need a couple weeks before I can afford it but once I can I'm probably gonna get it.

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

#24357529 - 05/28/17 09:01 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:

What do you mean by a 2 channel interface?  Is this what you see on the computer to control the two MIDIs?

It's an external sound card and audio interface that connects my studio monitors to my laptop. It has 2 midi inputs and 2 1/4 inch inputs for guitar and or microphones.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96?product_id=AudioBoxUSB96&adpos=1o1&creative=55225944121&device=m&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CKqx__GNlNQCFYi4wAodfQsFkg

--------------------

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

#24357698 - 05/28/17 10:24 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I'd recommend pirating the software. Fuck buying expensive software. I can set you up with a torrent tracker invite if you need one.

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

Invisiblevenetianblinds
cabbage

Loc: Flag
Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: danielx]
    #24357741 - 05/28/17 10:56 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:

It's an external sound card and audio interface that connects my studio monitors to my laptop. It has 2 midi inputs and 2 1/4 inch inputs for guitar and or microphones.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96?product_id=AudioBoxUSB96&adpos=1o1&creative=55225944121&device=m&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CKqx__GNlNQCFYi4wAodfQsFkg

i have almost that same thing. gets the job done i guess. my laptop is pretty basic though, i gotta play with some of the settings sometimes or it'll lag when im recording

--------------------
How do you know but ev’ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos’d by your senses five?

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

#24357747 - 05/28/17 10:59 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I use audioz.eu for pirating software and samples. It's WAREZ, so you'd need to subscribe to a free file host website to get better download speeds, we'll worth it though. They have more than any torrent tracker might have as far as audio resources go.

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: venetianblinds]
    #24357752 - 05/28/17 11:02 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

venetianblinds said:
Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:

i have almost that same thing. gets the job done i guess. my laptop is pretty basic though, i gotta play with some of the settings sometimes or it'll lag when im recording

I route my recording input into a mixer, while monitoring what I record via monitor headphones off the mixer rather than the computer directly. This bypasses an analog to digital conversation which is the main cause for latency in these types if set ups, so you can hear everything you're playing in nearly real time as it records.

Invisiblevenetianblinds
cabbage

Loc: Flag
Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: PatrickKn]
    #24357781 - 05/28/17 11:16 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

whoa....never thought of that. what kind of mixer do you use?

--------------------
How do you know but ev’ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos’d by your senses five?

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Good laptop and equipment for electronic music production? [Re: venetianblinds]
    #24357789 - 05/28/17 11:21 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I have a Xenyx 802, pretty cheap mixer. All one should really need though for home use.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #24357795 - 05/28/17 11:24 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

danielx said:
I'd recommend pirating the software. Fuck buying expensive software. I can set you up with a torrent tracker invite if you need one.

There are also tons of great free VST instruments and effects out there.

I have like 3-500 random ones I binge downloaded awhile back. All sorts of cool stuff.

Using Google you can find free VST lists on a few sites that make it very convenient to find specific stuff. From effects of all sorts, classic and modern stuff. To various synthesizers and instrument modeling or sampling.

There are also a lot of good free recording programs these days

So there isn't even any need to pirate fancy stuff unless you really need it and are broke.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale