Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesherm
sherman
 User Gallery

Loc: Euthanasia
buying suse9 off ebay
    #2435340 - 03/15/04 04:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Why is it that suse9 pro. from the suse website costs around 100$ (i think) and you can get it on ebay for 10$. It comes on 5 burned CDs and with no documentation. What I realy want to know is should I buy suse on ebay??

--------------------
shroomery.
not even once.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: buying suse9 off ebay [Re: sherm]
    #2435772 - 03/15/04 06:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I bought Suse 8.2 Pro from eBay last year and had no problems. I think with the official discs you're paying for packaging, printing, manuals and tech support. The eBay version I bought was on 5 CD-Rs and a DVD-R, I couldn't be bothered to download all of that from their ftp sites myself.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Invisiblesherm
sherman
 User Gallery

Re: buying suse9 off ebay [Re: Edame]
    #2435934 - 03/15/04 07:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Will I still be abel to use my same ISP(netzero), I run winXP right now. I have never used linux. Thanks

--------------------
shroomery.
not even once.

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #2436091 - 03/15/04 08:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The SUSE CD set costs 100$ for tech support, a printed manual, and the CD/DVD. The e-bay version is most likely a downloaded set of ISOS, or possible even someone who purchased the suse set selling copies for $10. Which there is nothing wrong with as its distributed under the GPL.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2436203 - 03/15/04 08:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I don't see why not, when I installed it on my old PC it detected that I was connecting through a router and I was browsing right away. Have you thought of downloading something like the Knoppix Live CD (if you have broadband) before buying anything? You can boot it from the CD to get an idea of what Linux can be like (I think Suse might do a live CD too). I've toyed with Linux on and off over the years but have always dual-booted with Windows because at the end of the day most of the applications I use need it.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Invisiblesherm
sherman
 User Gallery

Re: buying suse9 off ebay [Re: Edame]
    #2436262 - 03/15/04 08:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Im on a 56k modem so downloading anything isn't an option. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
shroomery.
not even once.

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #2436629 - 03/15/04 09:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

bullshit, you can download ISO's just fine on dialup, infact i bet if you start downlading now it will be done before you get that cd from ebay. Ive downloaded 3g straight on dial up, took a couple days but still quicker then I could have gotten from the post office.

Sorry, i just find it silly when people will refuse to download large files just because they are on a modem, now if the real excuse is because you only have one line and cant tie it up is a whole other store

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2436856 - 03/15/04 10:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Will I still be abel to use my same ISP(netzero), I run winXP right now. I have never used linux. Thanks

No, you will not be able to use Netzero. The company requires dial-up software that is only compatable with windows or lindows or mac. You might also have to leap a few hurdles if you have a PCI modem - is that what you have?

Are you looking to dual-boot?

I also recommend Knoppix as edame suggested. You should also pick up a book on linux
& be patient
& ready to learn.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

Re: buying suse9 off ebay [Re: Xochitl]
    #2437271 - 03/16/04 12:24 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I've downloaded ISOs that were corrupted before, big waste of time. When you buy the $100 package that may be including some level of support and manuals. www.cheapbytes.com is consistently good and cheap, they sometimes have good book deals too. maybe not as cheap as ebay, but less sketchy.

Invisiblesherm
sherman
 User Gallery

Re: buying suse9 off ebay [Re: Xochitl]
    #2440437 - 03/16/04 08:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yes I have a PCI modem, what sort of hurdles are you talking about here? now im scared!
and yes I was gonna try to dual boot,

--------------------
shroomery.
not even once.

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
    #2443630 - 03/17/04 03:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

There are a number of sites that burn and sell various free versions of linux distros. You may want to look into those options before settling for ebay.

I tracked down one of them for you:
http://www.easylinuxcds.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=732

Offlinereaderror
PurpleHaze

#2455234 - 03/20/04 07:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

sherm, I recommend you get a copy of VMWare *cough* demo it w/ full features for as long as you want *cough* and get your feet wet in the wonderful world of not-windows, it will allow you to bridge your dialup into linux so you can use linux internet apps, yet still use windows at the same time, while not the most efficient way, it provides a way of learning linux while still maintaining conectivity to the world via the internet.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology