Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Who here is a hypocrite?
    #2435060 - 03/15/04 03:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I am. I denounce materialism, but my spending habits are nothing to be bragged about. I tell people to relax and "chill the fuck out," when sometimes I'm the one who needs a chill pill. I bitch about elitism while at the same time feeling somehow superior to those who act elitist. I complain about the two-party system, yet consistently vote for whoever ther Democratic candidate is. I tell people not to be judgemental even though I can sometimes be rather quick to judge others. Is anyone else here a hypocrite?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Who here is a hypocrite? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2435067 - 03/15/04 03:15 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Nope.

:wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2435070 - 03/15/04 03:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm one of the biggest, baby :cool:

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #2435217 - 03/15/04 04:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Everyone is at times, but some are more than others

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2435368 - 03/15/04 04:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think everyone is on some level. It's hard for behavior not to contradict what someone says or believes. Unless you're completely non-judgemental and make no statements about anything, you're going to end up being a hypocrite, which is fine.

Unless.....

You're the type who is strongly hypocritical. Those who tell others how they should live and behave in the exact oppisite way.

BTW, I've noticed a superiorism in myself about not playing higherarchy games. It's funny when you catch yourself in those moments.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2435397 - 03/15/04 04:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

*raises hand*

I tend to speak the way I think we all "should" act, while I myself am one of the violators. It's kind of as if when I'm speaking in such a manner, I am implying myself included.

Especially the other night when I rambled to my friend for 3 hours in the afterglow of a shroom trip.. it's like, I know I'm no spiritual perfection, but I did such an incredible job verbalizing how to go about finding what it is he's "searching for".. he always says it's like he's searching for something but he doesn't know what it is, especially when he's tripping.. so I decided to dive into it and try to actually explain how to make himself happy.

Basically, it's like, the whole time I was telling him this, I was also talking to myself. It was my SELF-self talking to my EGO-self, so to speak. It was really incredible how free I was from my ego this particular trip.. I felt straight up born again. I could feel love flowing through me, like water. This was a very intense feeling, but it was several hours after the peak of the trip. It was this incredible SURGE of energy all through me, triggered by deep thought and revelation which led to defeating my ego. The result was one of the most spiritual people I've ever found myself being. It was as if I'd found god, only I knew god wasn't the god religion upholds him to be, but instead was all of us, and the entire universe, all as a whole.

At one point my girlfriend was lying on the floor on a pillow, and I was sitting in my computer chair just BEAMING with this energy, and she said "why don't you share this pillow with me?" at first I did not want to lie down, but then she said it again, "Why don't you use the pillow?" and I IMMEDIATELY knelt down in front of it and put my face and hands down in the pillow.

It should be noted that I have not prayed in a very long time. I've been a spiritually closed-minded person for a long time. I tried church for a few years and concluded that god wasn't trying to talk to me. I started telling people, when asked of religion, that "We've got a thing going on: he don't talk to me, I don't talk to him."

But in this moment of connectedness, I prayed. It was the most pure prayer I'd ever experienced. It wasn't a desperate reachout for something, instead it was pure basking in the bliss of having FOUND something when I wasn't even reaching anymore. I felt undying amounts of empathy and gratefulness in this moment.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.. just trying to make a point, which is:

Hypocracy in man is a very common thing and is very difficult to avoid completely, due to the struggle between each person's "two halves" so to speak.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2435407 - 03/15/04 04:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"I bitch about elitism while at the same time feeling somehow superior to those who act elitist."

HAH, missed that one on the first read.. I must say, I find myself doing this very often. I think that, however, if you just "feel" superior to them, and are humble enough not to act upon it or vocalize it, that you are "in the clear" so to speak. :tongue:

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Who here is a hypocrite? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2435595 - 03/15/04 05:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

many contributing social factors and biochemical factors make me the hypocrit i am.

im addicted to sugar probly, caffine, who knows what else. (mmm ice cream)
its also hard to not be somewhat materialistic in a capitalist society.

i think its good when we are all bringing this up tho, if we wanted we could all help each other end our hypocracies. mebe thats what the revolution is really about?

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Edited by BleaK (03/15/04 05:37 PM)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2435959 - 03/15/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sorry, but for the most part, I don't think I'm a hypocrite.

Okay, sometimes I still flip people off from my car, but not as often. I'm not rich yet, so I don't know how materialistic I will be if I come into money. I told my sister to fuck off when she and I got in a fight.

For the most part, I think I'm doing okay with what I've learned in my life and how I've tried to implement it, but I still slip. But I don't think I'm a hypocrite.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2436132 - 03/15/04 08:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I just get this stupid "holier than thou" attitude right now with heavy drug users even though i used to be no better myself. I've definitely been working hard on losing this though. Its just a lonely feeling when you NEVER socialize because you are sober.

When you open doors for yourself, you gotta remember to not shut any behind you  :thumbup:

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Anonymous

#2436193 - 03/15/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2436364 - 03/15/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

At times, like today in class when this one girl sat down near me, the smell of cigarettes came over me and it actually smelled terrible to me and I felt sick.

I smoke cigarettes on occasion.

So I guess I had a hypocritic episode today.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2436410 - 03/15/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not a hypocrite, just an ironic contradiction  :smirk:

Offlineshroom_muncher
ex-dope fiend

Loc: The great white north
Re: Who here is a hypocrite? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2436680 - 03/15/04 10:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i read Adbusters but I'm just your basic gluttonous consumer. Bad habits are hard to break.

--------------------
peace sells but whos buyin?

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #2437031 - 03/15/04 11:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

everybody is a hypocrite in a way. We all try not to be but, what the hell, who are we kidding. At least im not as big of a hypocrite as some people.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2437058 - 03/15/04 11:23 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I tell everyone I'm a hypocrite, but I'm not.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Who here is a hypocrite? [Re: Evolving]
    #2437062 - 03/15/04 11:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

On second thought, maybe I am.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2437643 - 03/16/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I am a hypocrite.

I rock
I suck

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Who here is a hypocrite? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2437785 - 03/16/04 03:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

After I answered this question, I had the opportunity to witness myself being a hypocrite several times.

So what I thought about was this:

None of us are perfect, so instead of beating ourselves up for being hypocrites, let's keep striving for perfection, being full aware, at the same time, that we may fall short.

I think it also has something to do with "bad habits". I learned once that to break a bad habit, there are three stages. Being aware of the bad habit and wanting to change it, catching yourself in the middle of the bad habit, and ultimately changing the bad habit.

So if we are aware that we do things that are not as spiritual as we would like to be, it is like being aware of a bad habit. And when we catch ourselves being unspiritual, just change direction, mid-stream, so to speak.

Eventually, we should adopt the habits of a spiritual person without any thought whatsoever.

I was in a store today, that advertised housewares or something like that. All my thoughts of not needing material things flew out the window and I wished for a home with which I could decorate with those housewares. I had to remind myself that they are not important, and that it is society that dictates their importance.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Anonymous

Re: Who here is a hypocrite? [Re: Frog]
    #2437947 - 03/16/04 03:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology