Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: HELP ME OR ELSE I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!! [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2447145 - 03/18/04 12:50 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I don't have any experience with quitting cigarettes, but I do have a story for you. Both of my parents smoked. When they wanted to have me, my mom tried to quit twice, but couldn't, then finally when she got pregnant, she finally forced herself to quit. My dad quit years later. A few years later they split up. My dad was on vacation in Mexico with his girlfriend (the reason my parents divorced), and he was drunk as hell and picked up a cigarette like it was second nature. One cigarette and he relapsed. I was probably 12 or 13 when he started smoking again. In the next few years I did every thing I could to get him to quit, he tried patches, pills, everything, but he couldn't quit. So now I'm 18 years old, my father has passed on, I saw him in his final days and it KILLS me EVERY single day thinking of how much he is missing in my life and how I took his time for granted all these years. He'll never see me graduate from college, get my first real job, my first house, my first child. He's gone. And on his deathbed, when he was hooked up to all those wires and shit, the device they put on your finger to measure you heart rate has a light at the end of your finger. He thought it was a light cigarette and he kept trying to take drags from his finger. Till the end.

Stick with it man, and never touch them again. Just think about what your loved ones would go through without you there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIrishdrunk
Democracy? We Deliver!!!
Male User Gallery
    #2448208 - 03/18/04 04:42 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

I just quit today cold turkey......so far so good I didnt yell at the guy who called the wrong number twice or my stupid friend who knows I just quit and called to ask if I wanna go drinking... now to get past survivor and late nite tv without a beer or smoke.

--------------------
:awesome:

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: HELP ME OR ELSE I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!! [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #2449404 - 03/18/04 09:42 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Im sorry for your loss :frown:
I am watching the same happen in my family, that is where my passion against cigs comes from.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: Quitting smoking, oooooh aaaaah!! Breathe in, breathe out... [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2449532 - 03/18/04 10:10 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

You can do it.What helped me is that I got mad.Mad at the big tobacco companies fucking me over and me just taking it.Don't take their shit any longer,FIGHT BACK.
Drink plenty of water and keep yourself busy. Also deep breathing excersises help. Don't let anyone get on your nerves and have you start up again. You're doing this for you and it's once of the best things you can do for yourself. Good Luck. :thumbup:

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: Quitting smoking, oooooh aaaaah!! Breathe in, breathe ou [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2449650 - 03/18/04 10:50 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Yeah, keep it up, man.

My dad quit smoking 4 years ago after smoking for 30 years.
You can tell in his every day life, he smiles more, is much more relaxed and I worry about him less (plus his health reports come back better every single time).
He used Wellbutrin to help him quit, but if you can do it cold turkey, more power to you!

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlineshaggy101
Male

#2449766 - 03/18/04 11:14 PM (20 years, 5 days ago)

keep it up man
I know you can

some goes for that damn drunk Irish man :nut:

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
Re: HELP ME OR ELSE I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!! [Re: shaggy101]
    #2450161 - 03/19/04 12:26 AM (20 years, 5 days ago)

Today it has been a week for me without ciggapoops. I" am doing very well, not haaving that many cravings.I am almost positive that im going all out because i want to live longer and have more money. 3 bucks a day adds up.

I have been taking wellbutrin XL. It works pretty well.. It is the time release welbutrin. And i still go out and stand with my friends that smoke and dont really have craving that bad.

You have to sike yourself out in a way and will power all the way.
Ive been a smoker for only 2 years but that 2 years to many. That is a lot and money and less good health.

You can do it, dont give up and start up again.

--------------------

buisness is kickin yo butt

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: HELP ME OR ELSE I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!! [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #2453939 - 03/20/04 10:22 AM (20 years, 3 days ago)

I'm sorry to hear of your loss bro. I'm quitting to save my health and life.

One other time I quit with the help of patches and I quit for a couple of months. About a week after I took the last patch off I wen't to a headshop and bought some of those tobacco-less cigarettes. Man they were nasty, and all they did was make me wan't a real cigarette more.

Then I was riding in the car drinking beers and I got the idea that I "owed it to myself" to be able to smoke a couple cigarettes while I'm drinking.

I got a pack of marlboro with the idea of just smoking one or two while drinking. Of course, you can guess the rest.

So now, I have decided to quit with no crutch at all. Just cold turkey and willpower.

If I fail and pick up a cigarette it's O.K. blah, blah, blah. I have made a plan NOT to fail, I think that this is the only way. If I allow myself "wiggle room" like that, I'm sure I'll have a harder time staying stopped.

So, it's NO cigarettes, no tobacco, ever, ever again. that means blunts too. I'm gonna smoke mad pot, but I'm gonna turn down any and all blunts.

It's like the shit they say in those A.A. meetings for alcoholics, except for me it's cigarettes.

I'm one cigarette away from illness and death.

Anyway, I'm still on course, thanks to everyone who is behind me. And the best of luck to everyone else who is quitting along with me. It CAN be done, what's a little pain when your whole life is at stake? Nothing worthwhile is ever easy anyhow.

peace
:mushroom2:

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Offlineshaggy101
Male

#2453972 - 03/20/04 10:35 AM (20 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

So now, I have decided to quit with no crutch at all. Just cold turkey and willpower.

good :cool:

im proud of ya Lf
and what your saying is exactly what worked for me, although I like to impress on people its ok if you fail( so the'll try again)
It wasnt ok for me to fail
thats what I said the last time I quit
and it just so happens I have stayed quit

Offlineoggleman
Stranger
Male
Loc: Chicago
    #2454048 - 03/20/04 11:14 AM (20 years, 3 days ago)

Nice, trying not to reiterate what has already been said, here's my take on quitting smoking.

When you quit smoking you will get the one downside of intense cravings, but you will also get a multitude of upsides, I could go on forever but some of the most obvious ones are:  more energy, more lung capacity, you'll save money, you're confidence will go up, food will taste better, you wont smell like smoke anymore, you wont have a smoker's cough, your immune system will be better, and so on and so on.

You have a lot of upsides, so the idea is to do things which make these upsides more pronounced, which will make the cravings easier to deal with.  These effects start like one hour after your last cigarette and continue until about 15 years after your last cigarette.  That is a long time to enjoy the benefits of quitting smoking.  Things that have worked for me:

exercise (try running a mile, then see if a cigarette sounds good after that)

eating better and stronger tasting foods (the food tastes better anyways, so you might as well get as much taste experience as you can)

not being around smoking (really hard if you have friends/family/roommates/etc who smoke but the cigarettes will either disgust you and make you think they are disgusting and weak willed or trigger a craving)

Eat lots of chocolate!! It sounds ridiculous but it has worked for me, I strongly reccomend this.

Chew gum.

Keep a soda bottle or something with water and lots of cigarette butts and ashes in it around.  When you want a cigarette take a whiff of that.

I like to smoke pot to deal with cravings, sometimes it has the exact opposite effect of triggering a craving, but other times it takes the edge off the craving and relaxes me.  That and you are smoking something, so you kind of satisfy they oral/manual fixation that makes it hard to quit.

Most importantly, take the time to recognize the improvements in your health and well being that you will experience from quitting.  Be sure to notice how much better food tastes, the extra money you have, the way you dont smell like smoke, the way you can go somewhere without having to make sure you have a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, the increased energy, the increased lung capacity.  Again I could go on forever but when you take the time to notice these things it will help your will power.  Also if you exercise and eat right then these effects will be stronger and easier to notice :smile:

Basically it comes down to one thing, just dont smoke, plain and simple.  Easier said than done but after like a week of not smoking you will get a craving and then realize that a cigarette doesnt even sound good anymore, its an amazing feeling.

I don't claim to be an expert, in fact I smoke so you can dismiss everything I've said, but I've quit for ~1 month numerous times.  And the fact is after like a month your body will feel recovered and you will forget how much better you felt when you quit.  Thats when sheer willpower comes in.  They say after like 2 years of not smoking, your addiction is pretty much licked.

Good luck, and remember Yoda's words of wisdom:

"Do or do not, there is no try"

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: HELP ME OR ELSE I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!! [Re: oggleman]
    #2460085 - 03/22/04 12:18 PM (20 years, 1 day ago)

Thanks. It's been a week now. Surprisingly day 4-5 were a lot easier than days 6-7. All of a sudden yesterday it seemed like I craved them more than than I expected to.

It wasn't like I was at risk of actually considering smoking one, it was just a bigger pain in the ass than I expected.

Steady as she goes... People who are quitting be sure to check in periodically here and get support if you need it, and just to let the rest of us know how you're doin'!

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineAnother
Stranger
    #2480022 - 03/29/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I quit smoking 8 days agaio today. The first day was the worst. Then it slowly got better untill day 5. For some reason the urge to smoke is worse now than earlyer. When it gets too bad I puff on a friends black-n-mild but dont inhale. I thought it might just be a tease but it actually helps. My girlfriend does not make any attempt to help me quit... which is a bummer. It might just be because she is a smoker herself. Everytime she's smoking and I tell her I want to hit her cig she just holds it up infront of my mouth. That really piss's me off. Im telling her i WANT to hit it but, im not going to ... because I quit. Wow, just posting this here is making me think about smoking. Good Luck to you LightningFractal !!!

Invisiblescott2004bc
Munchie Time!!
Loc: Utah
    #2482246 - 03/29/04 10:57 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It is hard to quit! I have been smoking for about 13 years now..I have cut down to about 5 or 6 cigs a day, sometimes less, sometimes more, I can't afford the patch or gum, but It is the hardest habits for me to quit, I have been drinking almost every night for about a week, I am going to only drink once or maybe twice a week at the most from now on. But quitting smoking is the hardest habits I have ever tried to quit, but I love smoking weed though but not enough that I need it to get through the day...

--------------------
Enjoy life as much as you can, make the most of it, learn and grow from it, try enjoying different states of mind and learn from those experiences

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: HELP ME OR ELSE I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!! [Re: scott2004bc]
    #2485753 - 03/30/04 10:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

smoking weed is a great way to avoid cigarettes. I didn't quit smoking, I just quit smoking cigarettes!

--------------------

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2523232 - 04/03/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Ha, this thread makes me proud of you even though you're older than me.  It sounds like you have been making good progress and just by your excitement in your posts it seems like this is going well :thumbup: keep it up.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: HELP ME OR ELSE I'M GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!! [Re: abhi]
    #2546526 - 04/10/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks! Man it has been almost a month now. Well worth it! I don't spend 10 minutes hacking up shit every morning anymore, and I don't feel obligated to be a slave to cigarettes!

No more making sure I have my stupid cigs on me before I leave the house. God forbid I might wan't to smoke one before i could make it to a store! Fuck that nonsense.

I started smoking because almost all my friends that smoked weed smoked cigarettes. I thought they went with weed.

They don't. The high from weed is MUCH better when I don't pervert it with a stupid Nicotine rush.

Oh and, for everyone else quitting too, using weed as a replacement for cigarettes = k3y.

Plus life does get normal again after about 3 weeks, I don't think about cigarettes much anymore. Maybe once every few days I'll find myself jonesing, that's about it.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #2546635 - 04/10/04 12:11 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'm glad you're still going strong.  Well done!  :smile:

Offlinekroum
Stranger
Loc: CA
    #2549913 - 04/12/04 01:15 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Here are a couple of stories from my personal life...they're not amazing, or dramatic... but I hope they can help you guys...

My mother smoked for about 5 years... first it started only when her friends smoked or when we had somebody over and they smoked... but pretty soon she started smoking every day... neither i nor my brother of father approved, but she did it anyway... not too much, but smoking is smoking... We moved to the US and after she saw some of the ads on tv, and my continued insistance, she decided to quit. Just one day said that's it, I'm not going to kill myself for this shit... and she just stoped... no patches, no gum... just stoped that day, and it's been 6 years now and she has not picked a cigarette up ever since... alot of her friends smoke and she hangs out with them reguarly but she hasn't ever felt liek she needed to smoke again...

My friend's father started smoking when he was 14 and smoked for 30 years. He moved to america and still smoked almost 2 packs a day everyday... (he is a very controling person), one day he said, this is it, i will no longer be controlled by tobacco, I will no longer give MY life, and MY money to this useless thing. He quit (about same time as my mother).... hasn't picked up a cigarette ever since. I talked to him about it and he said that once he said that was it, he never had cravings again.

I have not had personal experience with quitting cuz I never picked it up (and I hope I never do), but to me it seems that if you really want it, if you make a choice and you put your will behind it, you CAN end it, on the first try, on the first day, for ever.

--------------------
"Why not?"
Last words of Timothy Leary

OfflineMollyDolly
Queen Rabbit

Loc: N.C., USA
    #2554337 - 04/13/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

hahaha i just posted about this, too. this shit seems impossible. like i said, though, i quit once from doing LSD. hehehe, maybe i just need to dump a sheet in my head o_O

--------------------
~~~~~*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*~~~~~

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #2554409 - 04/13/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

one more non-smoker here for the rest of you :smile:

i quit, i'd say.. hmm.. i think the beginning of march this year. about a week into quitting, my friend and i were drinking.. he (being underage) asked me to buy him a pack of cigarettes. i, being a friend, did (he's not very pleasant while he's fiending). i got back in the car, gave him his pack, and he lit one up. somehow his lit cigarette ended up in MY drunk hand (he probably asked me to hold it so he could do something - how evil!) and i just started smoking it! :frown: i couldn't help myself and grabbed a cigarette from his pack. this has happened twice while i've been drunk.

the last time that happened was about two weeks after i initially tried to quit. since then, i have been completely tobacco free. i think it's been over a month. i regularly exercise now (because it's more enjoyable/easier), and i in general feel better. i like knowing that i don't have to drop $3-$5 every day on a pack.

one great thing that's helped me quit smoking is a little herb called st. john's wort. what a miracle plant it is. while i still had cravings every once in a while, taking some sjw really made me less irritable and relaxed. i almost feel like i've 'replaced' my cigarette smoking with st john's wort, but you know, that doesn't bother me. i'd much rather be addicted to a harmless, feel good herb (i know there's other ones too :wink:) than to a deadly chemical filled company cigarette!

just thought i'd share my success so far with everyone :smile:

good luck to all of you, keep fighting the healthy fight!
also.. please please PLEASE, do not replace your oral fixation from smoking with eating! i did this for a week and you can only imagine how many snacks were going into my body! use exercise and st john's wort! :wink:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds