Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemushielover321
Confused Tripper??

How long can jar be kept
    #2434740 - 03/15/04 01:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Guys

I have a question how long can sterised Jars which haven't been inoculated last?

I ask this because i recently sent for my order in the mail and i was thinking of doing the jars now so that i can see if there is any contams and the jars will be ready. I was thinking of keeping them for 1.5 weeks to 2.

Thanks

--------------------
From the cloud of external darkness comes the light of forgiveness??????? :crazy:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMister Black
smokes pot

Re: How long can jar be kept [Re: mushielover321]
    #2434828 - 03/15/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You can do this, but it is not recommended. The longer you keep the jars before inoculating them the more likely they are to contaminate. No matter what you do to sterilize the jar, something will Eventually start growing in it, whether it be mycelium or mold. For example, if you sterilize a jar now and keep it for three months, you will get a jar full of mold. A PF jar is simply food, and if you have the food long enough something will eat it.

The reason for inocualtion soon after sterilization is that you are giving the spores an advantage over any other biological contaminant that might gain access to the substrate. For example, say it takes four days (a completely random number) after sterilization for a Mold to get into the jar. If you inoculate with spores soon after the jars are sterilized, the spores have a four day head start on the mold, and when the mycelium starts to colonize it will resist that mold. If you inoculate two weeks after sterilization, the mold will have a ten day head start on the shrom spores and might be able to fight out the mycelium. So even if you have jars that don't contaminate, those same jars, if they were inoculated two weeks after sterilization in an alternate universe, have a much higher chance of contamination.

So. The moral of the story is, you can try it, but chances are you'll have a much higher rate of contamination if you wait a while. But waiting 48 or 72 hours after sterilization isn't that big of a deal.

-M.B.

Offlinemushielover321
Confused Tripper??

Re: How long can jar be kept [Re: Mister Black]
    #2434850 - 03/15/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Cheers mate u answered my question perfectly

Thanks

--------------------
From the cloud of external darkness comes the light of forgiveness??????? :crazy:

InvisibleYesItsMe
Homeless GOHOME !...

Loc: Working for Piss ;...
Re: How long can jar be kept [Re: mushielover321]
    #2438046 - 03/16/04 05:37 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

In theory , sterelized jars can be keep indefinitely (see Pasteur's works ) . But in (our) reality , i'll go with Mister Black .
AFOAF keep grain 1 mouth with no problem ...

--------------------
God save the Queen

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation