Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says
    #24346744 - 05/24/17 07:18 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/24/dea-lied-to-congress-about-deadly-raid-that-killed-four-hondurans-government-report-says/

THE DRUG ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATION repeatedly lied to Congress about fatal shooting incidents in Honduras, including the killing of four civilians during a DEA-led operation, according to a devastating 424-page report released today by the inspectors general for the State and Justice departments. The report depicts how the DEA withheld information from the U.S. ambassador in Honduras, passed incorrect information up the chain of command, repeatedly misrepresented the U.S. role as an adviser in what was actually a U.S.-led operation, recruited an informant to back up the DEA’s version of events and then stuck by the informant’s story despite its “inconsistent and contradictory accounts.” The DEA told Congress that its informant had passed a polygraph test, but the report concludes that test was undocumented and “largely useless.”

Most importantly, the report states that the DEA falsely characterized the deaths of four Hondurans as a shootout with drug traffickers despite proof on video that DEA-led forces fired on unarmed civilians. The dead were traveling on a passenger boat to a town called Ahuas, on the remote Mosquito Coast. Almost immediately, the mayor of Ahuas and other Honduran officials protested that the dead were innocent; the DEA maintained that its forces had been fired upon by drug traffickers. Today, more than five years later, the report confirms that the people of Ahuas were telling the truth. There was no crossfire. It was a DEA agent who ordered a helicopter gunner to open fire on the passenger boat. The four dead Hondurans — Emerson Martínez, Candelaria Trapp, Hasked Brooks Wood, and Juana Jackson — posed no threat. The DEA gave a grossly inaccurate depiction of its own operations to Congress and let that account stand uncorrected.

It is unclear whether the DEA personnel involved in the Ahuas shootings and the subsequent misrepresentations will face any sanction for their behavior. The inspectors general did not recommend charging any of the agency’s personnel with obstruction of justice or other criminal violations. Instead, they recommended that the DEA improve its internal procedures around reviewing shootings.

“The victims of this crime still await justice,” said Karen Spring, of the Honduras Solidarity Network, in a statement. “There have been no remedies for the victims’ physical and emotional injuries, or for the resulting social and economic hardships sustained by the victims and their families.”

Many elements of the report suggest the DEA doctored its post-shooting reports and applied aggressive and sometimes fatal counterterrorism tactics to a law enforcement operation. At best, the agency had a severe case of confirmation bias. “Even as information became available to DEA that conflicted with its initial reporting,” the report states, “including that a passenger boat may have been a water taxi carrying passengers on an overnight trip, DEA officials remained steadfast — with little credible corroborating evidence — that any individuals shot by the Hondurans were drug traffickers who were attempting to retrieve the cocaine. … This failure to consider the relevant evidence had several negative consequences.”

“This report is nothing less than a wholesale indictment of the DEA and Honduran police,” said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., in a statement. “DEA, Honduran, and State Department officials provided Congress with incomplete, inaccurate, and misleading information in order to perpetuate a self-serving narrative that was fundamentally flawed and demeaned the lives of the victims and the reputation of the United States.”

Leahy called on the DEA and State Department “to ensure that those involved are held accountable.”

The report addresses a total of six killings from 2012, when DEA paramilitary squads known as Foreign Advisory Support Teams, or FAST teams, were sent to Honduras to work with local law enforcement on intercepting shipments of cocaine. This was latest in a 20-year series of military-style operations to staunch the flow of northbound cocaine while in transit. The FAST teams were led by Richard Dobrich, a former Navy SEAL. “There will be several fatalities here,” DEA officials told the U.S. ambassador during the operation’s planning phase, according to the report. “There will be shootings.”

Over the 90-day program, known as Operation Anvil, the DEA led three fatal shootings, with one dead on July 23, one dead on July 3, and the four unarmed Honduran civilians shot and killed on May 11. These included two women, at least one of whom was pregnant, and a 14-year-old boy, who were traveling upriver on a passenger boat. Several more passengers were gravely injured.

Almost immediately, the mayor of Ahuas protested the killings. The first report from Ahuas, by Alberto Arce and Katherine Corcoran of the Associated Press, claimed that the authorities’ helicopters had “mistakenly fired on civilians.” My own investigation of the Ahuas killings for the New Yorker in 2014 looked at autopsy reports, forensic evidence, and transcripts of interviews with Honduran anti-drug commandos who were at the scene; they backed up the account from the people of Ahuas. The dead were apparently civilians who had the misfortune of being on a commercial passenger boat heading upriver, in the middle of the night, at the same moment that six members of the DEA-led team were trying to recover a second boat that was loaded with cocaine. There was no evidence to suggest otherwise.

For the next five years, the U.S. government maintained that the killings were the result of crossfire in Ahuas between the paramilitary team and drug traffickers. There had been “an exchange of gunfire,” according to a 2013 letter from Eric J. Akers of the DEA’s congressional affairs office, sent to more than 50 members of Congress. An anonymous U.S. official cast doubt on the local account, suggesting that the entire town had ties to narco-traffickers. The DEA had a video of the shooting, which it screened for members of Congress and was viewed by reporters for the New York Times. Dobrich reportedly told Congress that the video was evidence of crossfire. Nevertheless, the agency refused to make it public. I sued the DEA under the Freedom of Information Act to obtain the video; that suit is now before a federal appeals court.

“It’s been five years since the events referenced in the report,” a DEA spokesperson said in a written statement, in response to the new report. “We agree with all of the Inspector General’s recommendations and are working to implement them.”

What do you guys think about the article? Should Federal Agencies be able to get away with lying to congress if it is for national security purposes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: tdubz]
    #24346753 - 05/24/17 07:22 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

no

everyone involved should be prosecuted to the fullest extent and never allowed any government job/benefits again

edit: i would even go so far as to say hand everyone involved over to the honduran gov't; if not everyone, at least those actively involved in the murder

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Edited by demiu5 (05/24/17 07:26 PM)

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: demiu5]
    #24346843 - 05/24/17 07:53 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

It's a war and part of a much larger conflict.

Civilian causalities happen.  We know nothing about the people killed.  They probably do.

The US simply is not preparred to be a narco state.  Far too many factions and undseirables to do that.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

Offlinehostileuniverse
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24347039 - 05/24/17 08:59 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Shit happens :shrug:

Keep Calm and Chive On

:lol:

--------------------
http://www.countdowntotrump.com

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: hostileuniverse]
    #24347056 - 05/24/17 09:02 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yep lie right to congress you are the DEA after all do whatever you want.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: hostileuniverse] * 1
    #24347088 - 05/24/17 09:08 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hostileuniverse said:
Shit happens :shrug:

Keep Calm and Chive On

:lol:

a 5-year+ cover up of four murders and you say, "shit happens"

jesus christ

if it was a Muslim that committed the murders you'd be up in arms and holier-than-thou

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: demiu5]
    #24347096 - 05/24/17 09:11 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Cover ups ate standard practice but usually someone pays for mistakes.

It just doesn't do good to lose good people.

Even if these victims were pro drug are they pro you and America?  Probably not so much but I don't know the facts.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24347102 - 05/24/17 09:12 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
Cover ups ate standard practice but usually someone pays for mistakes.

It just doesn't do good to lose good people.

Even if these victims were pro drug are they pro you and America?  Probably not so much but I don't know the facts.

they were four people living their lives.  what does it matter if they were pro-me and pro-America?

i'm a convicted drug trafficker that is no longer in that business.  do i deserve to be mowed down by the DEA?

or maybe the two crooked sheriffs should've shot me [dead] before they arrested me?

--------------------

Edited by demiu5 (05/24/17 09:15 PM)

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24347117 - 05/24/17 09:16 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps.

I am all for saving lives but the drug trade is crazy.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

#24347124 - 05/24/17 09:21 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
Perhaps.

really?  you think i should've been murdered for taking four pounds of organic marijuana that i grew across state lines to a friend who would've sat on it for 6+ months, selling it to his friends who are all over the age of forty?

really?

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: demiu5] * 1
    #24347145 - 05/24/17 09:27 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I don't see where he said any of that.  You might just dethrone the strawman king if you keep it up.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

#24347147 - 05/24/17 09:29 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
I don't see where he said any of that.  You might just dethrone the strawman king if you keep it up.

Quote:

demiu5 said:
i'm a convicted drug trafficker that is no longer in that business.  do i deserve to be mowed down by the DEA?

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
Perhaps.

is that clearer, Enlil?

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24347181 - 05/24/17 09:40 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

The only thing clearer is that you don't read very carefully.  You made statements and asked several questions.  His response was "perhaps."  You assumed he was referring to one thing when he was obviously referring to another.  He probably didn't even see your edit to add the personal info about yourself.

It's not always about you, bro.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #24347184 - 05/24/17 09:42 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
The only thing clearer is that you don't read very carefully.  You made statements and asked several questions.  His response was "perhaps."  You assumed he was referring to one thing when he was obviously referring to another.

It's not always about you, bro.

there was one question that warranted a yes or no answer.  (actually two, but the second yes or no question was an edit that he probably didn't see)  the other question was not a yes or no answer

can joooo comprehend?

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24347188 - 05/24/17 09:43 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Did he answer yes or no? 

You edited the post while he was posting.  It's obvious to anyone who was paying attention.  Clearly, you're not.

If it makes you feel any better, though, I do think that you deserved to be murdered.  We all deserve to die.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #24347207 - 05/24/17 09:48 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Did he answer yes or no? 

You edited the post while he was posting.  It's obvious to anyone who was paying attention.  Clearly, you're not.

If it makes you feel any better, though, I do think that you deserved to be murdered.  We all deserve to die.

the first two questions were in the original post.  one was not a yes or no question (or a "perhaps question")

i edited in the last question, also a yes or no question

how :flowstone: are you?

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

#24347210 - 05/24/17 09:49 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

and for context, since you are so clearly :flowstone:

Quote:

what does it matter if they were pro-me and pro-America?

how would answering "Perhaps" to that question make any sense?

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24347218 - 05/24/17 09:51 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Let me help you with the English thing. 

1.  A yes or no question is answered with a "Yes" or "No."
2.  "Perhaps" is neither a "Yes" nor a "No."
3.  Therefore, a post that starts with "Perhaps" is not likely to be an answer to a yes or no question. 

Instead, it was a response to "they were four people living their lives."

You'll get it if you keep working at it.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: Enlil] * 2
    #24347300 - 05/24/17 10:19 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Let me help you with the English thing. 

1.  A yes or no question is answered with a "Yes" or "No."
2.  "Perhaps" is neither a "Yes" nor a "No."
3.  Therefore, a post that starts with "Perhaps" is not likely to be an answer to a yes or no question. 

Instead, it was a response to "they were four people living their lives."

You'll get it if you keep working at it.

It's subjective, and depends on the faculties and intentions of the person answering.

If i asked you a yes or no question, i would expect a yes, a no, or a complete deflection.
Certainly not a perhaps.

Not everybody posts like you, so i wouldn't necessarily expect the same from everybody.

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

Offlinehostileuniverse
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: DEA Lied To Congress About Deadly Raid That Killed Four Hondurans Government Report Says [Re: ballsalsa]
    #24347336 - 05/24/17 10:33 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Legalize all drugs

Let the retards kill themselves off

And Chive on

Is that better?

--------------------
http://www.countdowntotrump.com

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom