Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Gene Therapy is Amazing!
    #24334436 - 05/19/17 10:46 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

I just watched a TV show called Breakthrough where they found a "cure" for cancer, specificaly blood cancer like lukemia.

Heres how they did it.

They took HIV and gutted out all the DNA. Then they filled it with the DNA to infect (on purpose) T-cells which t-cells are cells in the immune system that target dieases and destroys them.

Then they took like a liter of a patients blood, extracted the t-cells and then infected them with these "good HIV" viruses. After that, they injected the infected t-cells back into the patients body. What the new infected t-cells did was recongize cancerous cells in the blood and attacked them. And it frickin worked! Genetically-infected T-cells straight from a patient using modified HIV virus that contain DNA to tell them to attack cancer cells. How awesome is that?!

Anyone else excited about gene therapy and gene editing?

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoes

Loc: Flag
Re: Gene Therapy is Amazing! *DELETED* [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #24334465 - 05/19/17 11:02 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Does

Reason for deletion: .

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: Gene Therapy is Amazing! [Re: Does] * 1
    #24334585 - 05/20/17 12:10 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Wonder if people with the 'altered good HIV' in their blood could transfer to someone else with disease..
plants can be altered using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrobacterium to contain just about any DNA..
so can animals.. to my limited understanding, everytime you get a virus your infected with that virus DNA.
Also kindof interesting biology, mitochondrias are ancient symbiotic creatures that are living in our cells!
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/studies/mitochondria/mitorigin.html

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN get back to the garden

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gene Therapy is Amazing! [Re: ellomello]
    #24343110 - 05/23/17 01:56 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Trippy!

U mean like spread the "good HIV" to other people via sex or needles? How intriguing. Not sure. Like are the patients forever infected with this friendly HIV?

Hmmmm :strokebeard:

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Gene Therapy is Amazing! [Re: ellomello]
    #24356625 - 05/28/17 02:48 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Weren't they infecting the cells in the tumor to make them express proteins that marked them for destruction?  You could be talking about a different protocol, but it seems like this approach would have to be awfully specific for whatever target molecule the cancer cells are already expressing (that is specific to those cells, lest your immune system start destroying healthy tissues that express those same molecules).

It's actually normal for populations of cancerous cells to develop, but the human genome is also arranged in such a way that they also tend to mark themselves for destruction when mutations occur that make them cancerous.  Problem is that it's possible to lose the function of those genes (or operons, in general I guess) and then those cells don't express the right proteins to tell your body to eat them.  So they just grow and divide until something else kills them.  Of course whatever vector you use to transform the cells in the tumor would still need to be specific (at least relatively specific) to the cells in the tumor.

edit:  Actually, the stuff about infecting T-cells isn't necessarily in contradiction to what I was talking about since you were making a specific reference to leukemia.  A link to whatever article you read would be pretty useful though.

Edited by chibiabos (05/28/17 02:52 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gene Therapy is Amazing! [Re: chibiabos]
    #24356984 - 05/28/17 05:29 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

So i saw this on a TV show special. It wasnt an article. Im sure there was an article about it but i would have to look for it.

It sounded like the patient's T-Cells were the only cells infected with the modified HIV. Im guessing they determined what cancer cells needed to be destroyed prior to infecting the t-cells. Maybe they took a sample of the lukemia cells from the patient to determine how to edit the genes in the modified HIV but im unsure. It might be universal, as in maybe they had a generic version of the modified HIV that attacks cancerous blood.

Let me look up an article...

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gene Therapy is Amazing! [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #24356993 - 05/28/17 05:32 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Gene Therapy is Amazing! [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #24357031 - 05/28/17 05:46 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Alright, so it looks like they're basically raising their cells to
Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
So i saw this on a TV show special. It wasnt an article. Im sure there was an article about it but i would have to look for it.

It sounded like the patient's T-Cells were the only cells infected with the modified HIV. Im guessing they determined what cancer cells needed to be destroyed prior to infecting the t-cells. Maybe they took a sample of the lukemia cells from the patient to determine how to edit the genes in the modified HIV but im unsure. It might be universal, as in maybe they had a generic version of the modified HIV that attacks cancerous blood.

Let me look up an article...

What you'd probably want to do (in any case) is figure out what sort of membrane proteins are present on the cancerous cells since they tend to overexpress some things and/or underexpress others.  Or they may express certain proteins in combinations (or even just configurations) that you don't normally see.  Point is that you need some way to build in specificity for the cells that you actually want to target (whether you're transfecting them or getting some immune cells to recognize them as food).

That being said, it's not really that surprising that there are several ways of killing tumors via genome editing.  It's also not really a fair question to ask whether one is better than another (in general anyway) since incidents of cancer are so diverse.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order